Jake Virtanen - Part 08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
So far so good for Virtanen.

That hit on McDavid will be infamous around here for years, I can feel it. Might only be a rookie tournament, but man.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Watched the game in spurts so I may have missed some plays but I thought Virts was pretty good outside of the physical play. Showed good intensity and pace, went hard on the forecheck, cycled the puck well on the boards, and moved it well most times. Didn't seem to be on the same page as Shinkaruk and I honestly didn't notice Cassels at all so there was a definite lack of chemistry on that line but other than that - and considering it was the first meaningful game for all these players in over a month - thought he showed well.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Loved his physicality but would like for him to focus on his offensive game a bit more... Can't do that when you're in the penalty box

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
That body check was nothing special.

Can a body check be *special*? At least he was throwing them and causing a handful of Oilers to lose their focus for awhile. If we had a half decent team on the ice it could have lead to a goal or two.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Hard not to just laugh at the idea of nylander or ehlers.

Like outright laugh. For shame all of you who didnt want virtanen.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Loved his physicality but would like for him to focus on his offensive game a bit more... Can't do that when you're in the penalty box

I concur. More concerned about the physicality taking its toll in the show, his 210lbs not being such an advantage, and getting hurt than being in the penalty box all the time. That's something coaches will cure him of.

The low percentage shots and passing over potential plays needs to go.

Loved Raffi Torres but we badly need Jake to be more.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Can Jake Virtanen duplicate the success of Bo Horvat's 2014/2015 campaign?

Obviously, what Horvat did last season is not very common, but do you guys think Virtanen has a legit chance of doing the same thing?

If I was WD, here is how I would role out the lines:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Prust-Vey-Dorsett (I'm hoping that one of Gaunce or Cassels can beat out Vey).

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Corrado
Sbisa-Weber

Miller
Markstrom

I think the Sedin line will continue to be a solid 1st line, while the Sutter and Prust/Dorsett line will be extremely good shut down lines (with Sutter's line having the ability to chip in offensively on semi-regular occasion).

That leaves Horvat's line to be the wildcard line. Maybe it's just me, but I think Horvat and Baertschi will play well above expectations this year and may even supplant Sutter's line as the team's official 2nd line. The question that I have, is if Virtanen can get good enough to a point where he can ride shotgun with Horvat/Baertschi (two guys who I think will take a significant leap).

I think Prust is going to play with Virtanen at least to start the season. Benning said Prust was acquired to create a safe working environment. It makes sense to because Virtanen is going to hit some guys pretty hard in the NHL and they are going to come after him. If he follows Horvat's development then Virtanen will start on 4th line.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Dorsett - Prust/Vey - Virtanen
Kenins

Prust has also played centre, so I could see that being an option over Vey at times.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hard not to just laugh at the idea of nylander or ehlers.

Like outright laugh. For shame all of you who didnt want virtanen.

Sorry but nylander is going to be a superstar in this league, the guy screams 90 points.

He uses his teammates well, great shot, skating, passing, vision, not afraid to drive the net for his size, creative. The guy is the full package. If you are looking for a pure skilled one that is.

Virtanen is more oldschool, the guy hits everything, has great tools, needs to finish his chances more.

Virtanen will most likely top out as a #2 RW, at worst he is raffi torres 2.0

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Sorry but nylander is going to be a superstar in this league, the guy screams 90 points.

He uses his teammates well, great shot, skating, passing, vision, not afraid to drive the net for his size, creative. The guy is the full package. If you are looking for a pure skilled one that is.

Virtanen is more oldschool, the guy hits everything, has great tools, needs to finish his chances more.

90 points would get you the Art Ross these days. You sure he's THAT good?

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Virtanen's speed is off the chart for 18, when he's 23 he will be fastest guy in the league, combine that was his shot and instincts and he will be the same offensive flare.

Nylander is soft as butter and will be stapled in any meaningful playoff game, great skater but not exposive

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Id be willing to bet Nylandrr never hits 90 points.

Reminds me listening to TSN1040 earlier in the week and Moje - not the brightest hockey mind there is - going on about how McDavid would "easily" put up over 100 points this year. Like do these guys still think a 2nd line winger scores 30 goals and the Art Ross winner finishes with 130 points?

90 points would be the best player in the league in some years and top 3-4 most years. And McDavids not going to step into a flawed Edmonton line up and outscore every talented NHL vet by 10-15 points in his rookie year.

Context people ...

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Nylander will get more points. Virtanen will be better without the puck. Ehlers will bust imo.

JA

I remember Jake having a fantastic shot, but I haven't seen it lately.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I remember Jake having a fantastic shot, but I haven't seen it lately.

This I agree with. Some of the goals he scored in his draft year would have beat NHL goalies cleanly yet I haven't really such much of that since the surgery. Don't know if that's the cause but that is something I definitely want to see him get back. Ditto his backhand, which used to be unreal, now he rarely uses it at all.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
JV has to keep this up and contribute in the physicality department night after night and I will be very happy with the pick

That's going to be extremely tough to do

<-- Ehlers fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad