Jake Virtanen - Part 08

Status
Not open for further replies.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I think one thing I'd like to see from Virtanen as he matures is for him to work on... his skating lol. Obviously not his fundamentals as he's an excellent skater, but in how he uses his speed. If he can figure out how to change speeds deceptively, i.e. draw guys in and doddle around before turning on the jets, defenders won't stand a chance.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think one thing I'd like to see from Virtanen as he matures is for him to work on... his skating lol. Obviously not his fundamentals as he's an excellent skater, but in how he uses his speed. If he can figure out how to change speeds deceptively, i.e. draw guys in and doddle around before turning on the jets, defenders won't stand a chance.

I'm not the fastest guy on blades or feet, so I find this method to be extremely useful when cutting to the net, personally. Imagine Jake doing it. :nod:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think we can all agree that Jake won't become the pure offense “Go to guy" winger. But he definitely has the potential to become a 20~30goals power forward that the opponent afraid to play against. If that's the case, them I will say we picked the right player. ( unless Nylander or Ehler win a Hart trophy or something)

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I think we can all agree that Jake won't become the pure offense “Go to guy" winger. But he definitely has the potential to become a 20~30goals power forward that the opponent afraid to play against. If that's the case, them I will say we picked the right player. ( unless Nylander or Ehler win a Hart trophy or something)

He is 19. I think it is too early to say that he will not be a go-to offensive winger. People want to make such big proclaimations so early- let's just see how it goes.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He is 19. I think it is too early to say that he will not be a go-to offensive winger. People want to make such big proclaimations so early- let's just see how it goes.

Yeah absolutely.
I said that cause every time I watched him, he kept reminds me of the young Milan Lucic.
Let's just hope Jake doesn't decline before 30 like Lucic.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I'm not the fastest guy on blades or feet, so I find this method to be extremely useful when cutting to the net, personally. Imagine Jake doing it. :nod:

It would be particularly effective for him because if you try to cheat and widen your gap, you give him space to shoot and with his ability that's not a good thing. He doesn't strike me as a dumb player (not creative would be more apt IMO) so I think he'll catch on.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It would be particularly effective for him because if you try to cheat and widen your gap, you give him space to shoot and with his ability that's not a good thing. He doesn't strike me as a dumb player (not creative would be more apt IMO) so I think he'll catch on.
I still remember what Button said when we drafted him.
“Some scouts question his play making ability but that's not his game. He's a straight line North- South player, he'll carry the puck blast through the blue line and take a shot."
Everyone knew that he's not a very creative player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad