Prospect Info: Jake Sanderson (D) PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
His offensive inclination and play has improved significantly from the beginning of the year until now. Even then, he still bobbles a lot of pucks at high end speed and other plays that would make him truly elite. Imagine what another season can do for him as the number 1 option on the PP, PK, EV and for USA in all those situations.

Sanderson has to learn the defensive aspects of the NHL first. Coaches always tell players in NHL, the offense will take care of itself if you are talented enough. And nothing better for Sanderson to play next to Zub and learn defense structure and positioning. He is already so good at it and will step right away as the third dman. Mike Reilly is becoming a better defenseman in strides feeding form Zub. When it could be Sanderson as the youth future of the franchise.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Nothing left for Pinto to learn. He does everything well and he is too ahead of his peers, would be a waste to send him back. Will learn far more in Bellville next year and/or could probably easily crack bottom 6 for us

Pinto has a nice one timer, good around the net, good vision and passing. But will have a problem in the NHL with his just above average meh skating. It has to be much, much better to crack top 6. There is a reason he is a second rounder. If he will work on his edges in AHL, he will be a much better player then White and Norris.

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sanderson, Pinto & JBD will all improve a future Ottawa team & a couple of them maybe as soon as next yr. I also think Kleven will be a good addition once he is NHL ready which again I don't see as too far off.

Reactions: Icelevel

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Sanderson, Pinto & JBD will all improve a future Ottawa team & a couple of them maybe as soon as next yr. I also think Kleven will be a good addition once he is NHL ready which again I don't see as too far off.

Agreed out of the NoDak three, can only see Sanderson playing full time next year in Ottawa.

JBD and Pinto will need some seasoning in the AHL.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed out of the NoDak three, can only see Sanderson playing full time next year in Ottawa.

JBD and Pinto will need some seasoning in the AHL.

I want Sanderson to dominate the AHL first. Maybe a season or 2 in the AHL. Some might say oh that's too much but I want him to get tonnes of playing time and learning with Pinto, JBD. Sanderson will need to show that he can dominate the AHL make it soo easy that he needs a challenge.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I suspect his play will dictate if and how long he spends in the AHL. We have a young developing team at the NHL level, so if he can show that he can compete, and play at that level he’ll play.

BT and Jimmy both made the jump, and Sanderson definitely has the draft pedigree to make the jump in the second year after his draft.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
He's been very good at UND, but he is not dominating by any stretch. Let the guy have another year playing in NCAA and WJC and then turn pro when he is 20. He'll be around 15 pounds heavier then, and even faster with better skills. Let him hit the pros when he's really ready phsically, and if he bounces right into the NHL, great. Or let him cook in the AHL for half a season. It will also let Brannstrom settle in for another season along with Chabot on the LHD so we know what we have there. Of course, if Sanderson does start really dominating by season's end (possible) then obviously Sens can change their mind.

Of note, it is nice than both Sanderson and Brannstrom can play the other side too.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I don't get this argument that Sanderson needs to put up numbers to justify a top-5 selection. Personally, I want Sanderson to be Jaccob Slavin, not Quinn Hughes. Guys like Slavin are rare like pope's poop, they are invaluable, particularly vs their AAV

Jones is a top-5 D-man in the league. He can put up big numbers too. Thing is they also have Werenski who takes a big portion of the "points"
Slavin is closer to a top 5 dman than Jones is.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Sanderson is already better than both Wolanin & Brannstrom & bigger & a better skater although Wolanin has great wheels. He will need to add a lot more muscle to his frame but we have a few young guys playing who are even smaller than he is. If he improves our defence he should play, if he needs some development time we have a place for him in Belleville too. I'm not sure he will want to stay in school if the program graduates a bunch of their star players besides JBD & Pinto.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sanderson has been dominant defensively. Can count the number of mistakes he's made on one hand since coming back from the World Juniors. Opposing forwards just can't beat him with his size, speed and smarts combination.

As much as I'd like him to spend another year in college to develop his offensive game by playing on the #1 PP and being the guy on the backend with Kiersted and JBD graduated, I think he'll be in Ottawa next season.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Didn't we JUST learn our lesson on not overvaluing points in college with Tkachuk?

Points don't mean shit.

His style of play will translate to the NHL very well.

Reactions: h2

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
No point for him to go back. Most of the UND core will be gone. He needs to be in the ahl or nhl

Most of the UND core being gone is a good thing. He'd get much more opportunity to develop his offensive game.

Instead of playing limited PP minutes on the 2nd unit, he'd be the top PP QB and would be counted on to provide offense.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Most of the UND core being gone is a good thing. He'd get much more opportunity to develop his offensive game.

Instead of playing limited PP minutes on the 2nd unit, he'd be the top PP QB and would be counted on to provide offense.

I agree it’s pretty laughable how someone could think it’s worse development opportunity to be relied on more .

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I agree it’s pretty laughable how someone could think it’s worse development opportunity to be relied on more .
He would be relied on more but they will have a worse team in general. They won’t have as much firepower. IMO it wouldn’t hurt, but think he’s ready for the next challenge though. He doesn’t need to develop his offense more in an inferior league. I doubt he won’t be in the nhl lineup on day 1. He’s that good. He’d be our second best LD right now

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Drysdale is so good. Sens will regret this decision for a long time

I don't think they will. They picked the type of player they want to build around. He is bigger just as fast plays better in his own end and will play be able to handle agressive playoff style better.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think they will. They picked the type of player they want to build around. He is bigger just as fast plays better in his own end and will play be able to handle agressive playoff style better.
They also already have Chabot and Brannstrom. Drysdale will be great, but Sanderson should be too and gives a different Dynamic

No regrets here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol points do mean shit
Unless we're the ones scoring them...

Then its

tenor.gif

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Didn't we JUST learn our lesson on not overvaluing points in college with Tkachuk?

Points don't mean shit.

His style of play will translate to the NHL very well.

Tkachuk was already physically mature and capable due to his style of game. Didnt have much left to learn and better suited for pro game. He actually also scored pretty strong totals for the type of player he is, it was only the goals that worried folks.

Also, it isnt about points, it's about developing his overall game to its max potential playing 25+ minutes. He is far, far more raw than Tkachuk, yet also very skilled and could play in our top 6 now. A fine balance with young Sanderson, reminds me of Makar a lot.

I can see argument of him in AHL next year playing there for full year, just worried it won't be strong enough team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad