Jake Muzzin discussions (continued)

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Gards played 20:10 and Muzzin played 20:28 last game , you call 18 seconds a big difference ? The difference us when a D man is playing good D you don't notice his TOI because yoy don't hear his name , he makes the play and clears the zone quick and quiet .
When you're losing you play Cards & Dermott more than your shutdown pair.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
In the 4 games Muzzin is averaging 20:03 and Gardiner 16:54

Muzzin has been tasked against the Bergy line

Gardiner against the Coyle/Wagner lines

And he's caused several scoring chances and goals against. How many has Gards been responsible for?

You can use that line to brag when he's shutting them down or playing without big mistakes each game, but that hasn't been the case unfortunately. We need a Game 3 type of performance from him tonight.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
And he's caused several scoring chances and goals against. How many has Gards been responsible for?

You can use that line to brag when he's shutting them down or playing without big mistakes each game, but that hasn't been the case unfortunately. We need a Game 3 type of performance from him tonight.

Gards hasnt had to play against the best line in hockey. I dont want to rag on Gardiner here, but Muzzin has been fantastic and if Gardiner was in his position he would be worse.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Game 1: Brutal pinch at opposing blue line causing 2 on 1, Zaitsev makes diving play to prevent a scoring chance

Game 2: Brutal pinch to try and catch the puck in neutral zone causing 2 on 1, ends up in back of net. Also misplayed puck in front of net to allow Bruins goal.

Game 3: Great game with no recalled big brain farts.

Game 4: Brutal pinch on a puck he was nowhere close to getting in Bruins zone causing 2 on 1 and turning point goal in 2nd period.

I'm not suggesting he's a bad defenceman but he gets seriously overrated on these boards and his hiccups are ignored. If it was Zaitsev there would be tons of heat from many in here on any of the above plays, but they're usually ignored.

As I've mentioned many times in his threads, he's just not a top pairing guy from what I've seen because he takes too many stupid gambles. If he can clean up that part of his game he'd be a true #2 defenceman.

All you've done here is prove he's human. If he does 10 great things for every one of these he's still a keeper.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Gards hasnt had to play against the best line in hockey. I dont want to rag on Gardiner here, but Muzzin has been fantastic and if Gardiner was in his position he would be worse.

Hey I can't be sure but I think I actually saw Gardiner throw a hit in game 4.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
All you've done here is prove he's human. If he does 10 great things for every one of these he's still a keeper.

I disagree - I think I make a solid case for him not being a top pairing defensemen. Morgan Reilly does not make nearly as many big mistakes as Muzzin. I'm not talking about small mistakes, I'm referring to big ones (eg. mistakes causing 2 on 1s). Every defenceman will make these from time to time, but Gards for example makes them with much more frequency than Reilly (discounting his strong post season here), and Muzzin does as well vs. Reilly. Reilly is a top pairing D-man, while Muzzin could be if he eliminated the higher frequency of his brain-farts. Same held true in the regular season (when Reilly was top pairing and Muzzin down lower).

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I disagree - I think I make a solid case for him not being a top pairing defensemen. Morgan Reilly does not make nearly as many big mistakes as Muzzin. I'm not talking about small mistakes, I'm referring to big ones (eg. mistakes causing 2 on 1s). Every defenceman will make these from time to time, but Gards for example makes them with much more frequency than Reilly (discounting his strong post season here), and Muzzin does as well vs. Reilly. Reilly is a top pairing D-man, while Muzzin could be if he eliminated the higher frequency of his brain-farts. Same held true in the regular season (when Reilly was top pairing and Muzzin down lower).
Do you even watch hockey ? Reilly doesn't make mistakes ? Reilly gets burned pinching and stands around watching in our end more than any D in the league , when he's not getting walked more than my neighbours incontinent dog that is , the only thing Morgan Reilly has going for him is his offence . Babcock even praised Hainsey for the job he's done this year holding the fort while Reilly is off roaming around . I know you guys have invested in crapping on Gards after last year and left yourself no way back but figure it out bud .

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Do you even watch hockey ? Reilly doesn't make mistakes ? Reilly gets burned pinching and stands around watching in our end more than any D in the league , when he's not getting walked more than my neighbours incontinent dog that is , the only thing Morgan Reilly has going for him is his offence . Babcock even praised Hainsey for the job he's done this year holding the fort while Reilly is off roaming around . I know you guys have invested in crapping on Gards after last year and left yourself no way back but figure it out bud .

:laugh: appreciate the comedy, let me know when you'll be back on.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

All Dmen make mistakes. There is no #1 Dman who is going to be perfect against #1 lines across the league. It takes two to tango.

To me, it's about battling, being in position, being solid and making smart plays. As a bonus, he is physical when it is there for him. Which gives the wingers something extra to think about as they fly down the wing.

I said Muzzin would eat up big minutes. He played 22 minutes tonight in a huge win, and made a beautiful pass for the vital first goal.

The guy is a gamer. Hockey is a team game, you'd love to have everyone play with a deep hatred of losing. I think Muzzin fits the bill, as do more of this team than we knew I imagine.

They can't let up. Play like this in game 6 and let's outwork them and win a series.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Muzzin was solid tonight...to those saying Gardiner should be playing over him...please. That Marchand play where he walked Gardiner in the second period was just an indication why that isn’t correct. Gardiner lacks any physical game which is why a team’s cycle game kills the Leafs when he’s out there and the Leafs don’t have the puck. He doesn’t close the space and no physical play.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If Jake Muzzin was a RHD, he would have back-handed the pass to Matty and missed him...:sarcasm:

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
All Dmen make mistakes. There is no #1 Dman who is going to be perfect against #1 lines across the league. It takes two to tango.

To me, it's about battling, being in position, being solid and making smart plays. As a bonus, he is physical when it is there for him. Which gives the wingers something extra to think about as they fly down the wing.

I said Muzzin would eat up big minutes. He played 22 minutes tonight in a huge win, and made a beautiful pass for the vital first goal.

The guy is a gamer. Hockey is a team game, you'd love to have everyone play with a deep hatred of losing. I think Muzzin fits the bill, as do more of this team than we knew I imagine.

They can't let up. Play like this in game 6 and let's outwork them and win a series.

Was a beautiful headsy pass to AMatt on that goal. Funny because he was hesitating or not taking the shot all night and I was yelling at him to shoot that but he found a much better option to my surprise.

Had a few hiccups tonight in his own end but was otherwise solid. I don't expect flawless play - none of my comments would suggest it. But there's still thresholds - a couple smallish mistakes in a game vs. 3 big ones, etc. #1 pairing guys cannot make too many big mistakes or it will end up in the back of the net often.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Anyone know his status? If they miss him for any extended length of time they should start more heavily scouting the top 10 picks in this years draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad