Player Discussion Jake McCabe

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Pretty much sums up McCabe.

It's not his fault he's being exposed at times. He was never meant to be playing this high in the first place. He's a poor mans Muzzin. If McCabe is in your top 3 for usage, your unit as a whole is lacking.

We came into the season with a badly built defensive unit that showed zero signs of having any sort of plan for Muzzin's decline (or the aging of Brodie, but Muzzins decline is no.1) that could be seen a mile away. I'm not sure why almost a decade has passed and we didn't even try to develop a Muzzin.

*I like to use the word decline to sum up Muzzin since his injuries correlate with his mileage. At 34 years old he's a long shot to be healthy for 82 games + 16 playoff wins even if you remove his current injury due to the role required.
I see your point, but you can't pretend you're in the manager's meetings. How do you know Treliving didn't consider...everything?! You can complain all day about how TOR is incomplete. You can't always get a "yes" from free agent defensemen (sign in toronto), or a "yes" from GMs in the offseason. Can you really say with any confidence that Klingberg was plan A, and that he was a highly sought after free agent?

I was a Jake Muzzin fan too, but he only played what 22 playoff games for TOR 4 seasons. The bigger question might be: did Los Angeles plan well enough for Muzzin's decline?

Reactions: arso40

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I see your point, but you can't pretend you're in the manager's meetings. How do you know Treliving didn't consider...everything?! You can complain all day about how TOR is incomplete. You can't always get a "yes" from free agent defensemen (sign in toronto), or a "yes" from GMs in the offseason. Can you really say with any confidence that Klingberg was plan A, and that he was a highly sought after free agent?

I was a Jake Muzzin fan too, but he only played what 22 playoff games for TOR 4 seasons. The bigger question might be: did Los Angeles plan well enough for Muzzin's decline?
I don't blame new GM for the current defensive woes. Defencemen don't grow on trees. He's only had the job for half a year.

The defensive build today is a systematic failure accumulated over multiple years.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

They did by trading him to us for a kings ransom 😭🤣 ps.hours later…. No pun intended

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
A bunch of people have unrealistic opinions of what a 2nd pairing D looks like in this thread...

It's funny how our D is basically the same as last year but now they suck.

Almost like replacing 4 good defensive players with 4 bad defensive players in the offseason had some negative defensive consequences.

Not sure it is a D problem we have.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A bunch of people have unrealistic opinions of what a 2nd pairing D looks like in this thread...

It's funny how our D is basically the same as last year but now they suck.

Almost like replacing 4 good defensive players with 4 bad defensive players in the offseason had some negative defensive consequences.

Not sure it is a D problem we have.
I think it has unfortunately been more of a G problem (Samsonov) than anything else.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Does anyone agree with me or know where I can contact a mod to ask to consider they stop the tribute tag? These should be labeled Conversation or Discussion.

People put tribute on everything and you cant discuss the player without getting a strike or having multiple threads on the same player.

He’s been a lion out there lately.

Stephen please ask for a Discussion tag for threads like this. Are we seriously having a tribute for this guy? Or is it a discussion with compliments.

Change the HFBoards world with me for the better.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Does anyone agree with me or know where I can contact a mod to ask to consider they stop the tribute tag? These should be labeled Conversation or Discussion.

People put tribute on everything and you cant discuss the player without getting a strike or having multiple threads on the same player.

Stephen please ask for a Discussion tag for threads like this. Are we seriously having a tribute for this guy? Or is it a discussion with compliments.

Thank you for your hard work and service.

• Haha
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON

From your lips (text) to HF admins' ears (mouse). Should be available soon.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We've gone from a top 10 team in almost all defensive metrics last year to bottom 10 this year
Not doubting that the team requires work defensively. In spite of that, one of our goalies has played the most (GP and TOI) while still sporting the worst numbers out of the lot of three by a considerable margin.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Not doubting that the team requires work defensively. In spite of that, one of our goalies has played the most (GP and TOI) while still sporting the worst numbers out of the lot of three by a considerable margin.
It's been a combination of both the team playing putrid defensive hockey for like 90% of the season and Sammy having the worst stretch of games of his career.

Sammy appears to back to form but the defense is still piss poor

Reactions: arso40 and Buds17

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Had us all fooled in the beginning thinking he sucked.

Definitely passed Playoff vibes. My 3rd favorite D on the team behind Rielly and Benoit

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Closely. Dudes positionally challenged. Gets hemmed in his own zone, he gets blown by quite a lot leading to a buncha hooking and holding calls.

He's been ass.

Lagesson OTOH.... *Chefs kiss*
But at the end of the day he's 100x the nhl player you would ever dream to be....ps, he's be alright

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's been a combination of both the team playing putrid defensive hockey for like 90% of the season and Sammy having the worst stretch of games of his career.

Sammy appears to back to form but the defense is still piss poor

See now this is where I come in and say... Imagine we had a better coach than Keefe. How much better would the Dcore look? The team as a whole? I bet substantially better.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
See now this is where I come in and say... Imagine we had a better coach than Keefe. How much better would the Dcore look? The team as a whole? I bet substantially better.
Myself, I think its time to move on from Keefe and I don't entirely blame him for most of our shortcomings but personnel does matter. Keefe was the same coach last year when we were one of the top defensive teams in the league. I don't think it's a coincidence that Tre brings in a bunch of players who are defensive liabilities after losing responsible players, that all of a sudden we become a poor defensive team.

Having said that, we've also got Giordano who should not be an NHL regular anymore, Brodie's game has completely fallen off a cliff and Sammy playing the worst stretch of hockey in his career to start the year.with all these things taken into consideration, would a different coach really make that much of an impact on this group? I'm not so sure. If anything, maybe a guy like Berube would get more effort out of these guys but I'm not sure about getting these to play with better overall structure.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3