Player Discussion Jake McCabe

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think this is what everyone expected from him when we acquired him. Keep it up Jake!

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Have you watched him over the past month?
Closely. Dudes positionally challenged. Gets hemmed in his own zone, he gets blown by quite a lot leading to a buncha hooking and holding calls.

He's been ass.

Lagesson OTOH.... *Chefs kiss*

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Closely. Dudes positionally challenged. Gets hemmed in his own zone, he gets blown by quite a lot leading to a buncha hooking and holding calls.

He's been ass.

It's true.

He hides how bad he is defensively by keeping you entertained with hits.

Nice little stretch of points though

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
It's true.

He hides how bad he is defensively by keeping you entertained with hits.

Nice little stretch of points though
Disagree especially if you think laggys a better defender than him granted he’s lankier but that’s really about it is he prone to errors sure he is who isn’t he’s been one of our better top 4 options in the last month carrying the second pair

Reactions: Mad hatter

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Since he’s came back from his injury he’s been fine, much better than I anticipated. For the 2 million he’s making he’s definitely good value

Reactions: arso40

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
As it stands McCabe is our second most important defender going into the playoffs, and at 2M he's affordable on the bottom pair. He's an important part of us being able to build out a respectable D corps.

Dude can really hammer people and actually clears the net front. Pretty sure he played a big role in neutralizing Chucky with two monster hits in game 1. Great stuff and glad he's here.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
As it stands McCabe is our second most important defender going into the playoffs, and at 2M he's affordable on the bottom pair. He's an important part of us being able to build out a respectable D corps.

Dude can really hammer people and actually clears the net front. Pretty sure he played a big role in neutralizing Chucky with two monster hits in game 1. Great stuff and glad he's here.
I don’t know how you draw that conclusion he’s important I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s the second most important on the bacc end and then say he’s affordable on the bottom pair hahaha cmon man

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I think McCabe is a solid and physical #4 D. Brodie is a #3 that might not be at 100 % form. Rielly is an offensive #1. We could really use a #2 shutdown RD. I’ve been happy with Jake.
Brodie is not looking no where close to a #3 and hasn’t since last playoffs where he got exposed should not be in the top 4

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I don’t know how you draw that conclusion he’s important I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s the second most important on the bacc end and then say he’s affordable on the bottom pair hahaha cmon man
He's the second most important now, and simultaneously could work in a bottom pairing, because we are in bad shape today.

He's specifically important to the Leafs because we are both cash strapped on D and he provides surplus value at 2M, and because he is currently our only tried and tested redwood on the back end and you should have three or four in the playoffs.

Take our situation today, accounting for cap and gaps, and manage your way to configuring the D corps we need. I think by the end of navigating that process you will find him particularly helpful in getting to the finish line.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He's the second most important now, and simultaneously could work in a bottom pairing, because we are in bad shape today.

He's specifically important to the Leafs because we are both cash strapped on D and he provides surplus value at 2M, and because he is currently our only tried and tested redwood on the back end and you should have three or four in the playoffs.

Take our situation today, accounting for cap and gaps, and manage your way to configuring the D corps we need. I think by the end of navigating that process you will find him particularly helpful in getting to the finish line.
For sure I’m not disputing his importance I just don’t agree he’s the second on the baccend to then say he should be on bottom pair then Brodie shouldn’t be in the top 6

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
For sure I’m not disputing his importance I just don’t agree he’s the second on the baccend to then say he should be on bottom pair then Brodie shouldn’t be in the top 6
We're probably nickel and diming each other on those two but given last playoffs, Brodies decline, and what our blueline would look like, as it stands, going into the playoffs without McCabe from a physicality standpoint, I'm taking McCabe.

I dont think he 'should' be on the bottom pairing, I think he 'could' be given his cap. Depending on how we round things out he slots in 2LD or 3LD.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
We're probably nickel and diming each other on those two but given last playoffs, Brodies decline, and what our blueline would look like, as it stands, going into the playoffs without McCabe from a physicality standpoint, I'm taking McCabe.

I dont think he 'should' be on the bottom pairing, I think he 'could' be given his cap. Depending on how we round things out he slots in 2LD or 3LD.
Agreed but realistically you can’t upgrade the left side and right so we’ll probably situate Morgan’s partner and pair everyone else off

Reactions: LeafEgo

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I found five bucks in my wallet.

I'm richer than I thought. Enough to buy a lottery ticket. It's a long shot but you never know.

Five bucks isn't enough to boost my standard of living.

I think we can all agree that for $2M Jake McCabe brings value. At minimum he's a serviceable bottom pairing defenseman. But the fact McCabe might actually be the second best defenseman on this team tells me the Leafs are in a whole heap of trouble.

If they can flip him for a pick to free up the cap space to pursue a better player they should.

Who knows what they can turn that pick into. What we do know is that the surplus value McCabe brings over his $2M salary isn't enough difference they're a contender. Same as how five bucks didn't make me any richer.

The jackpot this week is $22M though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I'm richer than I thought. Enough to buy a lottery ticket. It's a long shot but you never know.

I think we can all agree that for $2M Jake McCabe brings value. At minimum he's a serviceable bottom pairing defenseman. But the fact McCabe might actually be the second best defenseman on this team tells me the Leafs are in a whole heap of trouble.

If they can flip him for a pick to free up the cap space to pursue a better player they should.

Who knows what they can turn that pick into. What we do know is that the surplus value McCabe brings over his $2M salary isn't enough difference they're a contender. Same as how five bucks didn't make me any richer.

Cross the lines and buy a powerball it’s 700 million.……you could buy a piece of the team.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021

Pretty much sums up McCabe.

It's not his fault he's being exposed at times. He was never meant to be playing this high in the first place. He's a poor mans Muzzin. If McCabe is in your top 3 for usage, your unit as a whole is lacking.

We came into the season with a badly built defensive unit that showed zero signs of having any sort of plan for Muzzin's decline (or the aging of Brodie, but Muzzins decline is no.1) that could be seen a mile away. I'm not sure why almost a decade has passed and we didn't even try to develop a Muzzin.

*I like to use the word decline to sum up Muzzin since his injuries correlate with his mileage. At 34 years old he's a long shot to be healthy for 82 games + 16 playoff wins even if you remove his current injury due to the role required.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

He's been ass.

Why don't you make a Lagesson thread then?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This was dubas continual mistake.

Paying premium assets for not premium peices. Or rentals they couldn’t keep.

McCabe is probably a great 5. He is a smaller holl who hits.

He runs around in the o zone line he is bobby Orr. He has had a bunch of bad pinches.

10 foot pop plays to the circle to no one.

The last game or the game before he just went to the boards and let a player walk through the middle.

He just isn’t good enough really to carry a 2nd pair. I think he looks better on the right. Maybe because he doesn’t run around as much.

Reactions: TMLife17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad