LeBrun: Jake McCabe drawing steady interest from contenders, price is a 1st round pick

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
And for tanking for Bedard purposes, no potential Hawk trade at this deadline will help the tank as much as moving McCabe. He's played very good, and losing him will hurt the team more than Toews or Kane at this point.

Difficult to say if Connor Murphy will fetch slightly more or slightly less ?
I'll say less. There's been a ton of smoke around McCabe for quite some time. The Murphy front has been more quiet.

Reactions: dj Mahoney

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I’d probably pay a 1st for McCabe at 50% retained but not at his full price.

How big of a upgrade would he be on Sandin?
That's tricky. The numbers don't suggest it's a huge upgrade but it's difficult to ignore he's a better skater and brings more snarl. Conversely Sandin is probably more useful on the powerplay.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A rental Ben Chiarot got an unprotected 1st. McCabe, especially with retention, is much more valuable than Chiarot. Thinking he might net a 1st is not ludicrous.
Ben Chairot was traded for to be a 2/3 defenseman. McCabe might be able to play 2nd pair in a pinch but he's a 3rd pair guy on a contender. Not saying McCabe won't get a 1st, but Chairot isn't the best comparable.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
We’ll see if any teams have learned from Ben Chiarot

Outcomes matter? Because countless times, we’re told that precedent is all that matters. It doesn’t matter if Chiarot or Foligno were bad TDL adds, the fact that they got 1sts is all that matters. All similar players should get 1sts.

This is what has been said countless times. Are you suggesting that people might be wrong about this?

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
And for tanking for Bedard purposes, no potential Hawk trade at this deadline will help the tank as much as moving McCabe. He's played very good, and losing him will hurt the team more than Toews or Kane at this point.

I'll say less. There's been a ton of smoke around McCabe for quite some time. The Murphy front has been more quiet.
Murphy will be moved at the 2024 TDL along with Tyler Johnson.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
It will be interesting to see how the narrative changes if McCabe is traded for a 1st, I can already see fans from the acquiring team lauding their GM for such a brilliant acquisition. 😂

Reactions: Space umpire

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Leafs have a deep blue line. He is absolutely a 2nd pair D. Hell him and Liljegren were our top pairing for like a month during all the injuries
Problem is Sandin has been struggling with any D partner not named Liljegren. Keefe is sheltering him big time. I'd not be surprised if he's scratched if Leafs can get a top 4 D at the deadline.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Ben Chairot was traded for to be a 2/3 defenseman. McCabe might be able to play 2nd pair in a pinch but he's a 3rd pair guy on a contender. Not saying McCabe won't get a 1st, but Chairot isn't the best comparable.
In what universe was Ben Chairot ever a #2 Dman?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I am sure the Devils fan who watches no leaf games is an expert on who is what. The fact you put Sandin in the same tier as Foote/Fleury says more than anything I can say back.
This is funny stuff. McCabe has been a 2nd pairing guy for several years. While that may not have been on great teams his numbers stand out very well compared to teammates. If you’re going to write things as fact try to make sure easily searchable data support it.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
That's tricky. The numbers don't suggest it's a huge upgrade but it's difficult to ignore he's a better skater and brings more snarl. Conversely Sandin is probably more useful on the powerplay.
Playoff hockey is a faster, tougher and more physical fight to the finish.
Sandin is not a good skater, doesn’t hit or take hits to make plays. Opponents move on him without fear.
If they need Sandin for the power play that’s fine but then what are you paying Rielly (also non physical and weak defensively) all that money to do?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Sandin is not a good skater, doesn’t hit or take hits to make plays. Opponents move on him without fear.
If they need Sandin for the power play that’s fine but then what are you paying Rielly (also non physical and weak defensively) all that money to do?

Sandin is small but absolutely trucks people

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He threw a check, COOL!

I watch every Leaf game. I saw it when it happened. It’s the oddity of it. Note everyone’s surprise.

For every solid hit how many times turnstiled because of no foot speed.

You said he doesn't hit...he leads the team in hits with 112 already. If you watched every Leafs game you'd know how off-base your comment was, he's the most physical defenseman on the team

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He threw a check, COOL!

I watch every Leaf game. I saw it when it happened. It’s the oddity of it. Note everyone’s surprise.

For every solid hit how many times turnstiled because of no foot speed.

You have no idea what you are talking about and it's hilarious to see people so confidently wrong time and time again.

And here's a bonus fight

Sandin isn't big but he is FAR from soft. He hits a lot and will stand up for team mates.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
You have no idea what you are talking about and it's hilarious to see people so confidently wrong time and time again.

And here's a bonus fight

Sandin isn't big but he is FAR from soft. He hits a lot and will stand up for team mates.

Wait a minute, 1 good hit, 1 dirty blindside hit and 1 hit from behind and a bonus of him being rag dolled by a guy who doesn’t fight is impressive.
While cool that he stepped up.
I guess when your team is as soft as TML this qualifies as tough.
Let’s just see how the playoffs go. Though the Hawks have Tampa’s 1st so I am hoping a few Leafs grow some balls and adjust to the physicality unlike the last decade (55 years?).

Last edited:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Sandin hits all the time and takes hits to make plays regularly. His skating has also improved this season. Why do those who are the most ignorant tend to comment the most on what they know the least about ?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00