LeBrun: Jake McCabe drawing steady interest from contenders, price is a 1st round pick

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think he ends up in Toronto, there has been a lot of smoke there, enough that I think there might be some fire.

I don't have an issue with the player but I'd rather use that 1st on a forward.

Toronto and Chicago play each other 2 times in next 8 days or something, I wouldn't be surprised if a deal gets struck.

If it does I'd like it to be McCabe and Domi.

Upgrade forward and defense all at once.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I’d probably pay a 1st for McCabe at 50% retained but not at his full price.

How big of a upgrade would he be on Sandin?
I mean completely different player. Can’t really compare either. McCabe is a shutdown type of dman. Been really good this year. Is physical enough, blocks shots, isn’t a black hole offensively.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
McCabe @ 50% & Domi @ 50% for 1st & Sandin could be interesting, as an impartial fan

EDIT: this deal is based on my assumption that Toews won't garner enough interest to justify trading at 50%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
McCabe is a shutdown type of dman. Been really good this year. Is physical enough, blocks shots, isn’t a black hole offensively.

Oh, just wait. He always had those 30-40 game stretches in Buffalo too. The fall is coming.

McCabe was always just so regular in Buffalo -- ~40 games of quality play, ~25 games of "meh, fine" play and then 15 games of abject black hole of suck in all phases.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I just don't get the Toronto speculation unless a current dman is moved for a forward. Because as it is, the Leafs have 8 NHL dmen who have played at least 1 game in their top 4.

Rielly
Brodie
Gio
Liljegren
Sandin
Holl
Timmins

Everyone but Timmins has at least 15 games in the top 4 and all did absolutely fine. I think McCabe might offer a different look back there, but what Toronto needs is scoring from the backend IMO not more shutdown D. They already have Brodie, Gio, Liljegren, and Holl who are good defensively but not really giving much offensively.

I just don't get it.

McCabe @ 50% & Domi @ 50% for 1st & Sandin could be interesting, as an impartial fan
]Absolutely god awful for the Leafs. Putrid.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Oh, just wait. He always had those 30-40 game stretches in Buffalo too. The fall is coming.

McCabe was always just so regular in Buffalo -- ~40 games of quality play, ~25 games of "meh, fine" play and then 15 games of abject black hole of suck in all phases.
Ok

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I think he ends up in Toronto, there has been a lot of smoke there, enough that I think there might be some fire.

I don't have an issue with the player but I'd rather use that 1st on a forward.

Toronto and Chicago play each other 2 times in next 8 days or something, I wouldn't be surprised if a deal gets struck.

If it does I'd like it to be McCabe and Domi.

Upgrade forward and defense all at once.
Forwards are a dime a dozen . You need solid strong defenseman to make a deep run and win. Any team that can run 2 solid pairings plus a better than avg 3rd pairing d-man usually go further. A d what forward besides kane or toews can you trade for and assure your return on investment 😉

Reactions: hn777

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
What about Sandin and 2nd for McCabe@ 50% retained and Domi @50% retained?

I think Domi would be a solid versatility piece and McCabe would probably be the best PKer on the backend/Most physical player

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
What about Sandin and 2nd for McCabe@ 50% retained and Domi @50% retained?

I think Domi would be a solid versatility piece and McCabe would probably be the best PKer on the backend/Most physical player

It's awful. Firstly, Sandin is already == McCabe if not better. He's younger, he's physical although maybe doesn't block as many shots. McCabe is not a better pker than Holl, and Gio is also physical.

So the Leafs are paying a first to get an older player who is more expensive and not any better and a depth forward.. Not to mention losing Sandin.

Only thing that makes sense to me is if that piece moved is Holl. They can't afford to retain him, so Holl -> McCabe is a move where they get another pking Dman who is a bit more physical and has the same caphit for more term. I could see that making sense.

Anyone thinking Sandin is moving for McCabe is out to lunch. He's a 23 year old who is a 2nd pairing dman on a top 10 D in the league.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Perhaps there's a deal to be struck around Girard + 1st for Chicago assets

McCabe (50%) + Toews (50%) + Ryan Greene or something along those lines. Avs get their 2C that is great on the dot in an otherwise thin market, get Girard replacement for the rest of this season and the next 2 for 2M, and a promising forward prospect to make up for the age gap. Chicago gets a younger D with more potential signed through the next 5 years and a 1st round pick in a deep draft to supplement the loss of Greene. Seems like a win-win

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Given how he's bounced around the league, and was a UFA this summer, I have a feeling that if Dubas wanted Max Domi on his team he'd have made it happen already. Maybe some residual bias on my part as I'm not a big fan of him, or his Dad, but I don't think he's a target for Toronto.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Perhaps there's a deal to be struck around Girard + 1st for Chicago assets

McCabe (50%) + Toews (50%) + Ryan Greene or something along those lines. Avs get their 2C that is great on the dot in an otherwise thin market, get Girard replacement for the rest of this season and the next 2 for 2M, and a promising forward prospect to make up for the age gap. Chicago gets a younger D with more potential signed through the next 5 years and a 1st round pick in a deep draft to supplement the loss of Greene. Seems like a win-win
I mean maybe but not giving up Ryan Greene in this proposal

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3