Friedman: Jake McCabe a potential target for the Oilers

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well it is just Friedman throwing his thoughts out there, so I don't put too much into it.

Not sure how he fits in Edmonton. 4mil for a guy who's barely a 2nd pairing in Chicago doesn't seem like a target we should be looking at. Maybe if it was retained and he was a UFA at season end, but I just don't see it working.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A M-NTC with a block on 7 teams sure sounds like Jake doesn’t want to end up in Canada…

Yeah. You put two and two together, and that is certainly what it sounds like. With a very specific number like that. Not 5 or 10, or half a dozen or something. The exact number of Canadian teams.

However...that provision was obviously designed before he was enlightened to the reality of Chicago's direction toward a pretty miserable rebuild for the remaining "prime" years of McCabe's career. So even if it was originally intended to nix any movement to a Canadian team...there's always at least a slight possibility that he could now reconsider - in order to get himself moved to a more competitive team with a chance. Unhappy situations can have a way of altering priorities, and a lot of other things in the world have changed a bit since he inked that deal anyway.

If McCabe was willing to accept a trade to a Canadian team, Edmonton does make sense to me. As a team with their RHD situation pretty settled with Bouchard, Ceci, and Barrie. It's not a stellar group, but it seems like something they view as serviceable. It's the LHD situation where they've got a bit of 2nd/3rd pairing hole between Nurse and Kulak. And McCabe brings a bit of grit which would seem like a fit for what Edmonton are allegedly looking for.

But that sounds like it could be quite a big "if".

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s finally settled in as a really solid NHL dman. If he’s available, 20 teams should be interested.

Don’t want to say he was a confusing young player, but it did take him 2-3 extra years to let’s say, grow up and become a solid, dependable, veteran dman. Whatever the case, that’s what he now is.

Two more years at a fair AAV, can play in almost every situation, can play both sides without any issue.. Really good value for teams needing a dependable presence on the blue line. He’d be a great fit in Edmonton.

He could also be a great fit for a couple of the up and comers too. Playing a similar role to Maatta in Detroit this year. Especially being able to play both sides without any issues. Kings maybe? Ottawa to help settle that group down some?? Maybe Detroit, as Maatta is likely to get a 3-4 year deal this summer (the way he’s played) and Detroit probably wouldn’t want more than two..

Type of move good managers make to fill a spot for 2-3 years, but turns into a 5-6 year stay, as the player can play multiple roles.

Plenty of fits for him.

Reactions: biturbo19

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
He’s finally settled in as a really solid NHL dman. If he’s available, 20 teams should be interested.

Don’t want to say he was a confusing young player, but it did take him 2-3 extra years to let’s say, grow up and become a solid, dependable, veteran dman. Whatever the case, that’s what he now is.

Two more years at a fair AAV, can play in almost every situation, can play both sides without any issue.. Really good value for teams needing a dependable presence on the blue line. He’d be a great fit in Edmonton.

He could also be a great fit for a couple of the up and comers too. Playing a similar role to Maatta in Detroit this year. Especially being able to play both sides without any issues. Kings maybe? Ottawa to help settle that group down some?? Maybe Detroit, as Maatta is likely to get a 3-4 year deal this summer (the way he’s played) and Detroit probably wouldn’t want more than two..

Type of move good managers make to fill a spot for 2-3 years, but turns into a 5-6 year stay, as the player can play multiple roles.

Plenty of fits for him.
I really hope other GMs are reading this or already think as you do.

Reactions: Petes2424

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I am not sure I see retention most likely a swap of contracts or two separate deals. If the Oilers dumped Pulj to the Ducks like rumored that is 3M of cap right there if they just get a draft pick. Then the Oilers could move someone like Barrie or Yam for McCabe and have enough space left to add a cheap forward if they want.

Of course wouldn't be sideways, could be something like Oilers 1st + Yam/Barrie for McCabe
😂 A #4 defenseman on the worst team in the league is not fetching a 1st plus a better player

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The Hawks can’t retain anything because they need both spots for Toews and Kane. That will severely limit the market and thus return, but I’d do Barrie and a pick. Barrie can then be flipped this or next year for another draft choice.
No to moving Barrie unless it someone much better then McCabe

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You will have to excuse my fellow Oiler fans, they have a deep case of homeritis and believe that points are the be-all end-all when it comes to ajudging talent.
Better read some of my post as you don’t have a clue. We need a good defensive D man not an often injured one. Barrie has esrn d his money unlike Nurse who makes more then double

Reactions: Homesick

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
You will have to excuse my fellow Oiler fans, they have a deep case of homeritis and believe that points are the be-all end-all when it comes to ajudging talent.
Please enlighten everyone how an oft-injured #4 defenseman on the worst team in the league is an upgrade. He's never been very good at anything

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The Hawks can’t retain anything because they need both spots for Toews and Kane. That will severely limit the market and thus return, but I’d do Barrie and a pick. Barrie can then be flipped this or next year for another draft choice.

Why wouldn't they just keep Barrie?

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
This could be a good fit. I don't see Chicago willing to retain any salary. Mcabes salary is very team friendly and his service would be a solid top 4 upgrade.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Ty isn’t that good.
Defensively true, but he's a damn good PP quarterback and does a great job moving the puck and holding the blue line. If the Oilers were dumb enough to trade him their PP would likely go into a tailspin and they'd look like the Blues have looked since losing Perron.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Plenty of fits for him.

I think this is a terrific account of what someone like McCabe could offer to a team like the Oilers.

No, he's not great. He's okay. But that's what a team trading for a Top-4D is probably going to get. He also happens to be what they're looking for in profile, and he's had enough injuries along the way that it's possible he's got a tiny bit more ceiling left to explore.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Missing several additional 1st round picks going Hawks way here

That Campbell mistake is Oilers to deal with for years to come

Meh, goalies are fickle. I'm convinced Campbell figures it out at some point. Wouldn't be surprised if he steals a playoff game or two this postseason.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I am not sure I see retention most likely a swap of contracts or two separate deals. If the Oilers dumped Pulj to the Ducks like rumored that is 3M of cap right there if they just get a draft pick. Then the Oilers could move someone like Barrie or Yam for McCabe and have enough space left to add a cheap forward if they want.

Of course wouldn't be sideways, could be something like Oilers 1st + Yam/Barrie for McCabe

Lol...

Oilers are going to trade a 1st and an arguably useful roster for another arguably useful roster player.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad