Friedman: Jake McCabe a potential target for the Oilers

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Just said live during 2nd intermission of Leafs - Avs game insider section.
He makes 4 million for 2 more years after this year. If the Hawks retain 50%, what are the Oilers willing to give up?

No interest Puljujarvi, but can take him if it makes the cap work.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
He makes 4 million for 2 more years after this year. If the Hawks retain 50%, what are the Oilers willing to give up?

No interest Puljujarvi, but can take him if it makes the cap work.

The Hawks can’t retain anything because they need both spots for Toews and Kane. That will severely limit the market and thus return, but I’d do Barrie and a pick. Barrie can then be flipped this or next year for another draft choice.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
The Hawks can’t retain anything because they need both spots for Toews and Kane. That will severely limit the market and thus return, but I’d do Barrie and a pick. Barrie can then be flipped this or next year for another draft choice.
The Hawks have three retention spots. They 100% can retain on McCabe.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If you look at his stats in Chicago, also see his time in buffalo.

he sign with Chicago because it’s the closest team to where he is from and the team he rooted for.

hes purely a bottom pair pick up. Having him retain to near $2m won’t be that bad of a move.

chicsgo us likely asking for a 2nd p+ with high retention

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Any reason why? The Hawks have like 30 million in cap space next year, and still have two retention spots next year as Kane and Toews are only for this year. Seems like the perfect time to do something like that.
Teams don't tend to throw away money like that.

I can't really think of any player that's been retained at 50% and wasn't on an expiring deal.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If they could retain I feel like it makes sense but it also doesn't feel like a major solution, more like a bandaid

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Teams don't tend to throw away money like that.

I can't really think of any player that's been retained at 50% and wasn't on an expiring deal.

I am not sure I see retention most likely a swap of contracts or two separate deals. If the Oilers dumped Pulj to the Ducks like rumored that is 3M of cap right there if they just get a draft pick. Then the Oilers could move someone like Barrie or Yam for McCabe and have enough space left to add a cheap forward if they want.

Of course wouldn't be sideways, could be something like Oilers 1st + Yam/Barrie for McCabe

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Hawks aren’t retaining on him. Recently he’s been interviewed and wasn’t happy with the direction of the team which no player would be.
Who knows what’s going to happen. But a Holland Davidson trade would be very interesting.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I am not sure I see retention most likely a swap of contracts or two separate deals. If the Oilers dumped Pulj to the Ducks like rumored that is 3M of cap right there if they just get a draft pick. Then the Oilers could move someone like Barrie or Yam for McCabe and have enough space left to add a cheap forward if they want.

Of course wouldn't be sideways, could be something like Oilers 1st + Yam/Barrie for McCabe
Foegele would probably make the most sense for the Oilers to move for McCabe.

Ledge And Dairy

The Hawks have three retention spots. They 100% can retain on McCabe.
They can but it's still 3 years of retention. If they plan on trading Jones eventually that definitely dampers their plans because he will almost certainly require retention.

McCabe is very fairly paid, they are better off just retaining on Kane, Toews, and Domi this year

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They can but it's still 3 years of retention. If they plan on trading Jones eventually that definitely dampers their plans because he will almost certainly require retention.

McCabe is very fairly paid, they are better off just retaining on Kane, Toews, and Domi this year

In the same intermission they said the Hawks might extend Domi instead of dealing him as planned because all sides like the fit.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Holland will overpay in any deal, so if we’re going to overpay I’d at least like to get a quality player - so let’s go all in on Chychrun.

2023 1st + Broberg + Borgault + Puljujarvi (cap purposes) for Chychrun

Enough of these 2nd round pick for 3rd liner or bottom pair D deals. Go big and upgrade the roster.

Reactions: Homesick

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Unless there is solid return of 2nd round or higher picks, I just assume Hawks keep Murphy & McCabe. They will be ideal to pair with Korchinski while he is learning the NHL ropes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad