Friedman: Jake McCabe a potential target for the Oilers

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Unless there is solid return of 2nd round or higher picks, I just assume Hawks keep Murphy & McCabe. They will be ideal to pair with Korchinski while he is learning the NHL ropes.

Hawks can bring in 1 yr vet during rebuild while the kids are coming up (And Korchinski could be years away from being regular in Chicago anyway)

No need for McCabe or Murphy around with their age as well as direction of team

If McCabe wants out his NTC is not likely to be issue as long as team, he goes to is contending. The lack of retention from Hawks could be issue but Hawks with all that cap room can take a bad contract back which has value in itself in any deal to potentially still get a quality pick/prospect in deal

McCabe is a solid 2nd/3rd pairing LD who can flip to RD if needed without issue as well (He plays both)

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Hawks can bring in 1 yr vet during rebuild while the kids are coming up (And Korchinski could be years away from being regular in Chicago anyway)

No need for McCabe or Murphy around with their age as well as direction of team

If McCabe wants out his NTC is not likely to be issue as long as team, he goes to is contending. The lack of retention from Hawks could be issue but Hawks with all that cap room can take a bad contract back which has value in itself in any deal to potentially still get a quality pick/prospect in deal

McCabe is a solid 2nd/3rd pairing LD who can flip to RD if needed without issue as well (He plays both)
He seems to really want to win. I suspect he will wave to get out of this rebuild.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
McCabe is from Wisconsin, he chose the Hawks to be close to home. Odds of him waiving for Edmonton is probably 0%

Hawks had different GM/Plan when he signed in Chicago

He was not signing up for a full rebuild so he may desire to move especially as he has essentially wasted his career at this point playing for losing teams in Buffalo/Chicago

He has been frustrated about team situation it appears and nearing 30 years old his window to play for contender could be dwindling

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Hawks had different GM/Plan when he signed in Chicago

He was not signing up for a full rebuild so he may desire to move especially as he has essentially wasted his career at this point playing for losing teams in Buffalo/Chicago

He has been frustrated about team situation it appears and nearing 30 years old his window to play for contender could be dwindling
That's true, Right now i'm sure he'd love to play for any contender where he could possibly win a cup.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I do think the odds are good that an Oilers target isn't someone we all think (ie the logical choices). But in this case Friedman is just giving his opinion. He even says it like its just his idea and not based on anything real

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Holland on the fly. It means as usual, 2nd rounder is gone, no retention, and hmmm... pulju + something.
My best guess is a 3rd rounder next year.

My understandong is that Holland holds tight on prospect, young players - if they arent threatining of leaving, and holding on sparepart 3rd liners as well. Järnmark and Fogele is the only players I could see be dangled, but I doubt that, wsp when Fogele seem to fit with a lot of players.
Järnmark has to giod of a contract, but its 1 year, so...

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
This news raises some questions:

Does Ken Holland actually watch the players he targets play before he acquires them?

Is he currently employing a couple of mostly blind scouts?

OR does he just put names in a board and throw his lucky dart?
It's all about kicking tires. Worn out, balding, sometimes re-treaded tires...but by-god Holland will kick those tires.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I was surprised he got the contract he did. Bottom pairing guy at best who brings some physicality but lacks the ability to transition the puck very well. Strange to give a player like that a NMC.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
It's all about kicking tires. Worn out, balding, sometimes re-treaded tires...but by-god Holland will kick those tires.
I just realized that if there was a CORSI rating for GM's, I'm pretty sure Holland would be in the top tier for GM's in terms of his ability to make it look like he's always doing something, when in reality he's not doing very much.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I was surprised he got the contract he did. Bottom pairing guy at best who brings some physicality but lacks the ability to transition the puck very well. Strange to give a player like that a NMC.
He doesn’t have a NMC just a modified no trade clause 7 teams I believe.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
i don’t think it’s anti- Canada bent on it. I think it’s not getting moved to a garbage rebuilding team. He picked Chicago because that was his team growing up.
Yeah, I am merely speculating as 7 teams is weirdly specific...VAN, CGY, EDM, WPG, TOR, OTT, MTL...

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
But you are not suppose to make it public
Would you rather he say it is fine playing for a shit show team? He is simply vocalizing what everyone would expect his opinion to be. It really is a non issue, as a matter of fact I wouldn’t want a player who is content with losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad