Friedman: Jake McCabe a potential target for the Oilers

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Burns wasn't on an expiring contract.
50% wasn't retained on Burns.
McCabe isn’t on expiring contract.
50% retained on McCabe is less money than was retained on Burns. The overall argument was that teams don’t want to retain that kind of money for multiple years, but we saw the Sharks do it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
McCabe isn’t on expiring contract.
50% retained on McCabe is less money than was retained on Burns. The overall argument was that teams don’t want to retain that kind of money for multiple years, but we saw the Sharks do it.
The Sharks did it because they wouldn't have been able to move Burns without it, so they ended up saving a ton of money.

There's a market for McCabe without retention.

Reactions: Muffinalt

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The Sharks did it because they wouldn't have been able to move Burns without it, so they ended up saving a ton of money.

I’m not claiming there isn’t. Retention from Chicago’s perspective would solely be about increasing the return.

Edit: oh, others are making that claim as seen below. I better understand your post now.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Lol no there isn’t
Borderline top4 in a shit team. Pretty much bottom six. H ain’t worth the money

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lolololol. McCabe isn’t even the second best dman for Chicago.
This. I have no doubt that McCabe would be on Edmonton's second pair, but there are teams out there where he would be on the third pair. He's good, would be an upgrade, and is someone who would make Edmonton better, but it isn't the end of the world if we can't get him.

Let's remember as well though, that Friedman was just speculating that the 7 teams would be Canadian teams. He never said that he knew for sure, at least not that I have heard. Just made a logical connection on what the basis for that 7 team NT list might be.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This. I have no doubt that McCabe would be on Edmonton's second pair, but there are teams out there where he would be on the third pair. He's good, would be an upgrade, and is someone who would make Edmonton better, but it isn't the end of the world if we can't get him.

Let's remember as well though, that Friedman was just speculating that the 7 teams would be Canadian teams. He never said that he knew for sure, at least not that I have heard. Just made a logical connection on what the basis for that 7 team NT list might be.
I mean he would be on Edmontons 2nd pair but that’s not a good thing and is barely an improvement on what we have.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I mean he would be on Edmontons 2nd pair but that’s not a good thing and is barely an improvement on what we have.
You're right. He would be like Edmundson - an improvement from what we have, but not what we should have if we want to contend.

If the rumors of Ekholm being available are true, we need to make that deal happen, even if he is up there in age.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad