Rumor: Jake Gardiner's name 'in play'

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
we are better off with gardiner over drouin imo
I'm a Gardiner fan. Gone on record numerous times as saying his playoffs run merit extreme caution whenever trading him comes about as a topic. However, Jonathan Drouin is a different tier of talent, as talented as Gardiner is.

The Drouin situation reminds a lot of the same situation Kyle Turris found himself in. When Turris' talent caught up with maturity and the right circumstances, 28 other GMs probably had to go for a long walk to cool down on the missed opportunity. And I think Drouin is in a similar position right now.

I would love for a Babcock coached Toronto to land Drouin. I think fighting past the personalities and players on Tampa might have proven too difficult a transition for Drouin. But that does nothing to distort his all-world talent.

How do we justify passing on the opportunity to resurrect the young NHL career of Jonathan Drouin if this is a real possibility?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm a Gardiner fan. Gone on record numerous times as saying his playoffs run merit extreme caution whenever trading him comes about as a topic. However, Jonathan Drouin is a different tier of talent, as talented as Gardiner is.

The Drouin situation reminds a lot of the same situation Kyle Turris found himself in. When Turris' talent caught up with maturity and the right circumstances, 28 other GMs probably had to go for a long walk to cool down on the missed opportunity. And I think Drouin is in a similar position right now.

I would love for a Babcock coached Toronto to land Drouin. I think fighting past the personalities and players on Tampa might have proven too difficult a transition for Drouin. But that does nothing to distort his all-world talent.

How do we justify passing on the opportunity to resurrect the young NHL career of Jonathan Drouin if this is a real possibility?

I agree completely. Acquiring Drounn is a bit of a pipe dream IMO but if were possible to bundle up Gardner, Leivo and a 2nd round pick and get Drouin in return I don't see a good argument against it as the potential payoff is tremendous. How often do players that young with that kind of talent come on the market? Almost never.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I agree completely. Acquiring Drounn is a bit of a pipe dream IMO but if were possible to bundle up Gardner, Leivo and a 2nd round pick and get Drouin in return I don't see a good argument against it as the potential payoff is tremendous. How often do players that young with that kind of talent come on the market? Almost never.

I don't think Gardiner is what Tampa is looking for (salary wise). They have so many RFAs to sign plus one huge UFA. That's why we hear the name Fabbri out of St. Louis. Comparable age, cost control.

Scratch

Jan 3, 2016
Jake Gardiner and Nazem Kadri to FLORIDA for Lawson Crouse and a salary dump (Brad Richardson) then maybe flip Richardson for a 2nd rounder.

I like Gardiner, but the future is more important and I don't think he's a huge part of it. I'm not a Kadri fan so it's an easy call for me. I think Kadri has the most value of any leaf available,so get what you can for him.
Reasoning behind this.... Florida is currently sitting in 5th place and looking very good, maybe short some offense and might be tempted to let Crouse go for a deep run in the play-offs. The Panthers are looking like a spoiler... and could go deep.

I love Crouse. I see him as a future Captain of any team he plays for and a solid 2nd-3rd liner. He played along Frederick Gauthier in the World Jnrs 2 yrs ago and that line was AWESOME.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
Jake Gardiner and Nazem Kadri to FLORIDA for Lawson Crouse and a salary dump (Brad Richardson) then maybe flip Richardson for a 2nd rounder.

I like Gardiner, but the future is more important and I don't think he's a huge part of it. I'm not a Kadri fan so it's an easy call for me. I think Kadri has the most value of any leaf available,so get what you can for him.
Reasoning behind this.... Florida is currently sitting in 5th place and looking very good, maybe short some offense and might be tempted to let Crouse go for a deep run in the play-offs. The Panthers are looking like a spoiler... and could go deep.

I love Crouse. I see him as a future Captain of any team he plays for and a solid 2nd-3rd liner. He played along Frederick Gauthier in the World Jnrs 2 yrs ago and that line was AWESOME.

You would trade Gards + Kadri for a future 2nd/3rd liner? Kadri is better than that now IMO.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I love Crouse. I see him as a future Captain of any team he plays for and a solid 2nd-3rd liner. He played along Frederick Gauthier in the

World Jnrs 2 yrs ago and that line was AWESOME.

LOL WTF. You don't take maybe your best forward and "get what you can for him".

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I'd want something an awful lot better than Crouse if The Leafs move two of their most valuable trade assets.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
don't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. Unless someone really makes an offer they can't refuse, ie a top 10 pick, 8.0+ prospect, keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad