Jake Gardiner appreciation thread

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
The only reason Gardiner isn't being paired with Pesce is because Eddy and Pesce is statistically one of the better pairings in the NHL, and at least with a small sample size, Eddy does not pair well with TVR. I don't think he's ever been paired with Fleury. As Sean Tierney pointed out, our current arrangement gives us two great pairings and a fun pair in Gardiner-Fleury. Winnipeg or Nashville could probably use TVR right about now, though Winnipeg is probably still waiting to see what Buff does.

I could’ve sworn they were paired up 2 or 3 weeks ago(?) with Fleury on his off side & thinking that wasn’t a bad pairing.

Am I misremembering here?

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
How about Gardiner turning the corner a bit at the halfway point. Yes he has his flubs and is pretty slow, but he has been a bit more sound defensively while making decent passes. Hopefully he keeps it up!

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
What's weird is Gardnier seems to have the same stigma around him that Pitkanen did and they seem to have similar styles...smooth skating playmaking D who are physically soft and get hate for being slotted too high in the lineup.

With that said I loved Joni and thought I would like Gardnier but he hasn't been doing it for me....maybe because there was no one to outshine Joni during his time here but with Slavin and Hamlord I don't appreciate Gardniers strengths as much?

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
What's weird is Gardnier seems to have the same stigma around him that Pitkanen did and they seem to have similar styles...smooth skating playmaking D who are physically soft and get hate for being slotted too high in the lineup.

With that said I loved Joni and thought I would like Gardnier but he hasn't been doing it for me....maybe because there was no one to outshine Joni during his time here but with Slavin and Hamlord I don't appreciate Gardniers strengths as much?

Except Pitkanen was a world class skater. Gardiner not so much.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006

This is not an apt comparison. At all.

Reactions: MinJerkBen

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yep. Pre-2019 Dougie is a much better comparison to Joni than Jake.

The comparison is apt based on Gardiner's play for the bulk of his career in Toronto. He was a very good skating d-man who was good at breaking the puck out the zone or a stretch pass. Both were shy on the physical side of things but I would say Pitkanen was a better defensive d-man than Gardiner with regards to positioning and stick work. Although it has been a while so I could be off on that. Gardiner probably has/had better instincts for jumping into the play and creating offense off the rush or creating an odd man chance down the ice.

Reactions: DaveG

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The comparison is apt based on Gardiner's play for the bulk of his career in Toronto. He was a very good skating d-man who was good at breaking the puck out the zone or a stretch pass. Both were shy on the physical side of things but I would say Pitkanen was a better defensive d-man than Gardiner with regards to positioning and stick work. Although it has been a while so I could be off on that. Gardiner probably has/had better instincts for jumping into the play and creating offense off the rush or creating an odd man chance down the ice.
Wrong on both counts. Jake can’t hold Joni’s jock in either end of the ice. Pitkanen was a shark in the O zone and an asshole in his own.

Gardiner more aptly compares to Joe Corvo than Joni Pitkanen.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Wrong on both counts. Jake can’t hold Joni’s jock in either end of the ice. Pitkanen was a shark in the O zone and an ******* in his own.

Gardiner more aptly compares to Joe Corvo than Joni Pitkanen.

I wasn’t saying either was Lidstrom in the d zone but we were comparing them relative to each other. You’re underestimating Gardiner whole he was on the Leafs. He was a very good player

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Gards and Joni were very similar... they both played hockey... and uhh... both played for the Hurricanes. Oh and defensemen.

And excellent skating defenseman, who could break out of their zones with the puck and pinch in the offensive zone while neither being the strongest defensively...

Id agree that Joni was a better d man than Jake but if you’re discounting his time in Toronto or basing his whole career off of the first few months of this season then you’re just being ignorant and clueless

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
And excellent skating defenseman, who could break out of their zones with the puck and pinch in the offensive zone while neither being the strongest defensively...

Id agree that Joni was a better d man than Jake but if you’re discounting his time in Toronto or basing his whole career off of the first few months of this season then you’re just being ignorant and clueless

We are basing his Hurricanes career on what he's been able to do as a Hurricane. That's neither ignorant nor clueless. If he turns it around, fine. To date, he hasn't, particularly.

If there's any direct comparable here, so far it's Tomas Kaberle. Great Leaf, mediocre Hurricane.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
And both couldn’t skate after they were hurt...

This is very true. Would like to think Gardiner is turning the corner a bit now and with the all star break coming up he should be fresh and ready to go for the second half push.
He’s been disappointing, no doubt, but not willing to write him off just yet.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
We are basing his Hurricanes career on what he's been able to do as a Hurricane. That's neither ignorant nor clueless. If he turns it around, fine. To date, he hasn't, particularly.

If there's any direct comparable here, so far it's Tomas Kaberle. Great Leaf, mediocre Hurricane.

Ok fair enough, I was comparing them when they were both at their best in their careers which is clearly not right now for Jake. Stylistically when Gardiner was playing well on the Leafs he was similar to Pitkanen as a Cane. I think that’s a reasonable statement to make

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Joni was an elite skating top pairing D. He had his warts, but he was still top pairing and an elite skater.

Even with Toronto, Gardiner has never been an “elite” skater and never a top pairing D. He was a very good skater though,

I don’t think he’s anywhere near as bad as Kaberle though and like what I’ve seen the past few games.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Joni was an elite skating top pairing D. He had his warts, but he was still top pairing and an elite skater.

Even with Toronto, Gardiner has never been an “elite” skater and never a top pairing D. He was a very good skater though,

I don’t think he’s anywhere near as bad as Kaberle though and like what I’ve seen the past few games.

Agreed. Jake's skating wasn't on Joni's level. Few were, but it was very good and near the top of the league for D-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad