Jake Gardiner appreciation thread

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
In 3 months time, I bet he’s playing close to 20mins a night and has a much better +/-. At this point last season, wasn’t Slavin like a -8 or 9?

Gardiner just needs a consistent partner...be it TVR, Fleury or eventually/preferably Pesce. Hopefully the confidence RBA has put in him by continuing to play him and the mostly good performances from him lately will get him back on track.

Hell, it might be time to put him on the 1st PP unit with Hamilton to try to spark it back into being worth a crap.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
In 3 months time, I bet he’s playing close to 20mins a night and has a much better +/-. At this point last season, wasn’t Slavin like a -8 or 9?

Gardiner just needs a consistent partner...be it TVR, Fleury or eventually/preferably Pesce. Hopefully the confidence RBA has put in him by continuing to play him and the mostly good performances from him lately will get him back on track.

Hell, it might be time to put him on the 1st PP unit with Hamilton to try to spark it back into being worth a crap.

The only reason Gardiner isn't being paired with Pesce is because Eddy and Pesce is statistically one of the better pairings in the NHL, and at least with a small sample size, Eddy does not pair well with TVR. I don't think he's ever been paired with Fleury. As Sean Tierney pointed out, our current arrangement gives us two great pairings and a fun pair in Gardiner-Fleury. Winnipeg or Nashville could probably use TVR right about now, though Winnipeg is probably still waiting to see what Buff does.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Would the Canes hypothetically deal Gardiner to the Leafs for Ceci to get rid of Jake's contract, given how poorly his results are?

I thought Ceci has been great for you guys. :sarcasm

I do think it's time to get creative with the power play units. Neither has been very good lately with Haula and Necas out. Obviously, we go back to Haula, Dzingel, Hamilton, Svech, Turbo when that group is healthy, but the whole idea of two units when two of your best offensive players are out is kinda silly. Combine 'em into one and see what happens.

As for Gardiner on the PP, I think his issue is the same as Aho's, they're both out there thinking that they have all day and by the time they do something, it's telegraphed. The reason Hamilton-Svech-Turbo are clicking is because they're moving the puck quickly and crisply. Aho, Gards and a few others are over-handling it, IMO.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
To show how Gardiner is still a very positive impact player even with a few brain-farts and unlucky breaks, look at just how amazing Toronto's defense is without him. They truly don't miss him one bit; Cody Ceci does everything that Gardiner does, except he's right-handed! :sarcasm:

Link: Toronto Maple Leafs Cody Ceci Has Historically Awful Game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad