News Article: Jake Gardiner and the Toronto Maple Leafs blueline

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Either go young or try to win now. Have to stop this in the middle nonsense. If we add two more older pieces does the team look ready to do damage? NO Well, the decision should be a bit more clear one would think.

The leafs are like a guy trying to get that girl that doesn't like him. In the end they are confused why it didn't work out.:laugh:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Either go young or try to win now. Have to stop this in the middle nonsense. If we add two more older pieces does the team look ready to do damage? NO Well, the decision should be a bit more clear one would think.

The leafs are like a guy trying to get that girl that doesn't like him. In the end they are confused why it didn't work out.:laugh:

Actually, they're like the guy trying to get the girl who doesn't like him by giving her lots of cash and the deed to their house, and even when that doesn't work they still tell their friends it's great

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What did Franson say in this article that makes you think he has a high regard for himself?

Because he doesn't think he should be a healthy scratch? This is your whole premise of Franson having a high regard for himself?

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/10/12/frustrated-franson-grows-tired-of-waiting/

Is this your proof? What NHL player doesn't think he is good enough to be in the lineup 3 years ago by the way, under Ron Wilson

If you think I am wrong that it is almost 100% Carlyle was talking about Gardiner. I have a lot of reporters that think the same thing.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...randy_carlyle_for_leafs_collapse_dimanno.html

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...afs-randy-carlyle-must-change-with-the-times/

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ch_randy_carlyle_picks_over_a_bad_season.html

BTW, you never answered my question, does rover by it's hockey definition fit Franson? All all these news paper reports conclude it was Gardiner Carlyle was talking about, not one points to Franson.

This: “I expected to come here and be a key part of this team,†Franson says. “I had eight goals last year and was plus-10 on a team that couldn’t score.

A player who averaged less minutes a game then 7 other D man on Nashville .....expecting to be a key part! If that is not a high opinion of him self then I do not know what is!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This: “I expected to come here and be a key part of this team,” Franson says. “I had eight goals last year and was plus-10 on a team that couldn’t score.

A player who averaged less minutes a game then 7 other D man on Nashville .....expecting to be a key part! If that is not a high opinion of him self then I do not know what is!

A player wanting to not be a healthy scratch, to be a key part of a team. God I sure hope we have more players that have high opinions of themselves.

I know some want players that do not want to be key parts of a team. Sign them up! We can all use more low self esteem players that want to be healthy scratches on this team.

This was your smoking gun? What a horrible connecting of the dots.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
A player wanting to not be a healthy scratch, to be a key part of a team. God I sure hope we have more players that have high opinions of themselves.

I know some want players that do not want to be key parts of a team. Sign them up! We can all use more low self esteem players that want to be healthy scratches on this team.

and then he decided he was worth 4 million dollars for 4 years, missed training camp, and while had had points had the teams worst plus minus.

as well as .... those comments bug me - especially when you have someone like Paul Ranger who was a health scratch for like. two months, and when interviewed he said, "he understood, and he just hoped he gets a chance because he had a lot more to give."

it conveys the exact same feelings (don't want to be a healthy scratch want to contribute) but Ranger's didn't come off him sounding like an arrogant jerk.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Lots of spin.....or do you think that he should have been a keyplayer when he arrived here? He was delusional.....he was a 3rd pairing D man with Fraser two years later!:laugh:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · 20h

McKenzie "I think the Leafs are reluctant to move Gardiner, but they're willing to listen to anything and everything on eveybody"

mikebel111*

McKenzie "I think the Leafs are reluctant to move Gardiner, but they're willing to listen to anything and everything on eveybody"

So Bozak isn't untouchable? Sorry about that people

Looks like trading Gardiner isn't a priority. I like it!

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Well, Nonis would be an idiot if he didn't even listen to offers before saying 'no'. What if Tampa offered Stamkos for Phaneuf? (they obviously wouldn't, but if you didn't listen to offers than that deal would be even more impossible)

TheThrill81*

"I think the Leafs are reluctant to move Gardiner, but they're willing to listen to anything and everything on eveybody"

That's just a blanket statement, it doesn't mean anything. Nonis probably already knows which players he has no intention of trading, and he'll gauge the value of the ones that are available.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
"I think the Leafs are reluctant to move Gardiner, but they're willing to listen to anything and everything on eveybody"

That's just a blanket statement, it doesn't mean anything. Nonis probably already knows which players he has no intention of trading, and he'll gauge the value of the ones that are available.

That is not a blanket statement.....it means what it says it means.....the Leafs will listen to all offers on all players, as would any team on any player. It also means that the Leafs are not looking at dealing him.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
This: “I expected to come here and be a key part of this team,†Franson says. “I had eight goals last year and was plus-10 on a team that couldn’t score.

Lol what? Franson was a bottom pairing D-man that year and in the wilson era he was a healthy scratch. The only sense of entitlement that pylon had was Randy calling his name for every powerplay.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just Heard Darren Dreger on the radio a moment ago, saying Leafs may try to convert Gardiner back to forward.

Something I have been advocating for since this past season.

No I am not the real Shanny, we just think alike.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Just Heard Darren Dreger on the radio a moment ago, saying Leafs may try to convert Gardiner back to forward.

Woo! Let's turn out best defensemen into a forward. Should be a fun season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I look at it this way, Jake might be one of our better fwds. If he is our best defenceman, which he is not. It is a dubious distinction.

Rielly is almost better than him already, give him another 20 games and he will be well past Gardiner as a defenceman.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I look at it this way, Jake might be one of our better fwds. If he is our best defenceman, which he is not. It is a dubious distinction.

I should of said arguably. I'd take him over Dion all things considered. Seonnd among defensemen at over 21 mins per game only beyond Dion and produced the same amount as him despite playing a minute less on the PP per game. He's also not going to be paid 7 million long-term like Phaneuf. I'd say he does a pretty good job.

Rielly is almost better than him already, give him another 20 games and he will be well past Gardiner as a defenceman.

Right. Because development is linear. :sarcasm: Just don't come out with a pitchfork ready to chase him out of town if he struggles next season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I should of said arguably. I'd take him over Dion all things considered. Seonnd among defensemen at over 21 mins per game only beyond Dion and produced the same amount as him despite playing a minute less on the PP per game. He's also not going to be paid 7 million long-term like Phaneuf. I'd say he does a pretty good job.

Right. Because development is linear. :sarcasm: Just don't come out with a pitchfork ready to chase him out of town if he struggles next season.

I just think Jake would make a better fwd than defenceman, It's a compliment really, he has all the skills to be a game breaker up front. It's not a negative to make this evaluation, looks like the New Team may agree if Dreger's sources are correct.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

I have my doubts that it will work but I think it's worth a try.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

Gardiner would be hard-pressed to be our 6th-best forward. Bozak, Kessel, JVR, Kadri, and Lupul are all easily better.

At the same time, Gardiner is our 2nd best d-man.

Would you trade the #2 dman on your depth chart, for a #6 (at-best) forward?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It's insane.

He was a mediocre forward in high school... there was a reason he switched over to defence. AND he plays over 20 minutes a night in the NHL as a defender. I think it should be pretty clear by now what his natural position is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad