Confirmed with Link: Jake Evans Extended (3 Years @ $1.7M AAV - Starts in 2022-23)

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Folks, he's a 4th line centre. Even if he puts up 25 points a season, that means he'll go at minimum 57 without a point, possibly more if he has multi-point games.

Bottom 6 players will be streaky, that's the nature of the role. He hasn't looked over matched and is playing fine. He just isn't putting up points. But really what can you expect. 4th lines on 99% of nhl teams change every year.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
God it must be a slow day if people are complaining about Evans.
Agreed.

Evans is perfectly fine in his role, and his salary is deserved as well. He's good defensively and has chipped in offensively as well. He hasn't put up points this year, but he's far from the biggest problem with the team. He's a boring fourth line player, which is something that most teams in the league have, and are perfectly happy with.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Slafkovsky isn’t effective?

since a couple of games Slaf is driving that line… but evans isn’t finishing slaf’s play.
Sorry. I actually meant the other guys. Slafkovsky has improved but he is still an 18 year old rookie learning the pro game.

Reactions: SlafySZN

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Folks, he's a 4th line centre. Even if he puts up 25 points a season, that means he'll go at minimum 57 without a point, possibly more if he has multi-point games.

Bottom 6 players will be streaky, that's the nature of the role. He hasn't looked over matched and is playing fine. He just isn't putting up points. But really what can you expect. 4th lines on 99% of nhl teams change every year.
Absolutely!!
And for those complaining about his 1.7M seriously?
Gally 6.5M
Drou 5.5M
Dadonov 5M
Armia 3.4M

Absolutely nothing from them, and we could throw Hoff in there but he has scored recently so...................we do not need to be talking about Evans money line............

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He does look kinda ''off'' this season, like he's checked out mentally. I've seen a ton of him since his freshman year with Notre Dame and while he was never the most expressive guy out there, he always looked pretty focused and competitive. This season he just looks apathetic most of the time, like he's having zero fun. I hope it's just a wrong impression I'm getting.

Reactions: rik schau

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
He does look kinda ''off'' this season, like he's checked out mentally. I've seen a ton of him since his freshman year with Notre Dame and while he was never the most expressive guy out there, he always looked pretty focused and competitive. This season he just looks apathetic most of the time, like he's having zero fun. I hope it's just a wrong impression I'm getting.
Definitely a disappointing season from him so far.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Definitely a disappointing season from him so far.

Well Gorton in his interview with Marinaro went out of his way to say he was happy with Jake Evan's play as a 4c. He said Evan's would have bigger offensive numbers if he was in a bigger offensive role, but that he's doing good work in his role s 4c.

Reactions: salbutera

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The guy went from scoring 29 points in 72 games to 1 in 16 so far. That's a significant drop.
Evans was seeing a lot more TOI playing 3C / W.

As Gorton said on Marinaro’s podcast this was expected by HuGo given the depth of the forward group and he referenced both Evans and Dadonov who’s been a 20G+ player his entire career as having been impacted by reduced TOI / situational play

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

As Gorton said on Marinaro’s podcast this was expected by HuGo given the depth of the forward group and he referenced both Evans and Dadonov who’s been a 20G+ player his entire career as having been impacted by reduced TOI / situational play

I really want to see Evan's - Monahan - Slaf, and for HuGo to go out and get a 4c.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
That might be a concussion problem. He feels that his head is weakened, so he goes less in the dangerous area (corners, front of the net), to prevent being hit. It also slows him down , because he thinks more by playing safely (for his health).

I know what I’m taking about . I’ve played college football has a linebacker and had concussion problem at the end of my career. The 1/2 second you take to make the safe play makes you way less effective.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Evans has a spot and role on the team as a 4th C.

As a 3rd line winger he is in danger of losing the spot like Pitlick.

Well just like Pitlick he hasn't been give opportunities as a 3rd line winger so we don't know what he'd do in that role this year.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Well just like Pitlick he hasn't been give opportunities as a 3rd line winger so we don't know what he'd do in that role this year.
My point is his spot is secure as a 4th C. As a 3rd W he is competing with many others and is in danger of losing his spot on the team, especially if someone else takes that 4th C role.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My point is his spot is secure as a 4th C. As a 3rd W he is competing with many others and is in danger of losing his spot on the team, especially if someone else takes that 4th C role.

That's a fair point.

But I think if he were tried as a 3rd line winger and then lost his spot, he could push out whoever we brought in as a 4c, like a Tyler Pitlick.

Good top 9 centers are hard to find. I wouldn't be surprised if another team made him a significant offer if he ever makes it to UFA.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
@NORiculous Do you still think Jake Evans is better than Dvorak and will outscore him like you were saying all summer?
Can't speak for him, but I think probably not. It is possible, however, that Evans will one of these days increase his goals per game by an infinite percentage.

Of course Gorton will say that because he wants to keep the maraket value of his guys up.

But if Dadonov was actually playing well, he'd have more minutes, that is obvious.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
@NORiculous Do you still think Jake Evans is better than Dvorak and will outscore him like you were saying all summer?
I posted on this a bit earlier. It would seem, so far anyway, that the guy driving the line was Lehkonen. I guess Sakic spotted that.

I’m still giving this time but it is not looking as good, obviously.

That said, if you switched roles of Dvorak and Evans, I think Evans would be doing better and Dvorak would be doing worse.

But Evans hasn’t been driving possession like he did last year. Which kinda surprised me because he was doing better then Lehkonen. Not sure what else changed.

Reactions: zeeto

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I posted on this a bit earlier. It would seem, so far anyway, that the guy driving the line was Lehkonen. I guess Sakic spotted that.

I’m still giving this time but it is not looking as good, obviously.

That said, if you switched roles of Dvorak and Evans, I think Evans would be doing better and Dvorak would be doing worse.

But Evans hasn’t been driving possession like he did last year. Which kinda surprised me because he was doing better then Lehkonen.
An 18 year old rookie on left wing, a turnstyle of linemates and rookie D to help out as center can’t be too helpful.

Also this might sound silly, but is it possible the 3rd line tends to get off the ice after possession losses? Like they keep doing what DD would do to Eller? I could swear they tend to chase a lot, and get possession tired… Might just be zone starts and turnovers.

I agree he comes off as passive, though; but I’m biased because that’s how he comes off in interviews (rather chill).

(edit - for sure Lekhonen was a motor)

Reactions: NORiculous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad