Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You're such a slippery fish, employing numbers when it works, and eye test when numbers don't
Ok. Here are the last five years of Mantha for you then.
CC4F9634-A2FD-43D2-9B74-B4A50D9774BB.jpeg

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I suggested the Bryan rust deal for Debrusk of roughly 6 years $30million at $5m a year. Rusts is a couple ticks over that I forget the exact amount but I think that’s fair.

Rust is a little better and more consistent offensively, but I view Debrusk somewhere between Rust and Bunting and honestly as of late I’m not even sure Debrusk is as good as bunting who makes $4.5m.

Personally I think Debrusk is in for a rude awakening come free agency. Who knows maybe he gets the 6x6 but it’s likely coming from a dumpster fire organization.

I've no problem with a $5M cap hit for Debrusk, but committing 6 years to a guy who is so inconsistent, flaky and unpredictable is tough to swallow.

Reactions: lopey and UncleRico

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is a great point.

Assuming we DO bring back DeBrusk at $5mil/yr and his numbers remain comparable to Frederic and Geekie. Are we willing to extend those guys at a similar salary as well?

Well that is a question you are going to have to answer regardless of whether they choose to extend Jake or not. Frederick will certainly get paid. Geekie will be interesting to see if they try to extend this summer

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Well that is a question you are going to have to answer regardless of whether they choose to extend Jake or not. Frederick will certainly get paid. Geekie will be interesting to see if they try to extend this summer
Yes, but if you extend Jake, you are setting the market for these other guys as well. I'm sure that's definitely something crossing Sweeney's mind as they try to work something out with Jake. This decision is bigger than simply what term/salary you are brining Jake back at. You need to consider whether or not you'd be willing to extend the same offer to a comparable player, because you KNOW they are going to be asking for it.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The positive for Chandler over Jake is that he is a center, I think we have plenty of bottom six centers and I do not want to block any of them without giving them a chance, not that I am against getting a high quality center. Jakes positive is he can play bot wings, kills penalties can play on the power play, he also out hits Stephenson nearly three to one. Stephenson is older and has one season with 20 goals. I had hoped when Washington got Strome the Bruins had moved on him, young, size and some talent. I know everyone is excited about landing Lindholm, I am not one of them, I would prefer going after Shane Pinto type , I know it will cost but he is NHL proven, has size , talent and is better than any young players in the Bruins system now , sorry Merkolov and Poitras fans..........
I see him as a top two center who comes to play every night, plays in every situation, was lights out in the playoffs last year and has two cup rings. He could also be as reasonable a contract as you could find for a top end center in free agency. Think he'd be worth and extra million or two over Jake.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Maybe, but he sure seems underwhelming on the ice for what he gets paid and what he could do physically.
People would hate Mantha here. Would want him to play like Neely when he’s a finesse guy

Anything under 6.5 is wishful thinking for Jake imo. He would get a 6/39 deal offer 10 minutes into free agency. Don’t know him but he doesn’t seem the type to leave money on the table

Reactions: Over the volcano

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I see him as a top two center who comes to play every night, plays in every situation, was lights out in the playoffs last year and has two cup rings. He could also be as reasonable a contract as you could find for a top end center in free agency. Think he'd be worth and extra million or two over Jake.
How is he better than Zacha or Coyle, sorry can't see it, he is also 30 years old, total pass, there other holes too fill.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Slaf was first overall

Bruins fans are calling talk radio here trashing pasta

Slaf would be so hated in Boston
If I were King, I'd be allowed to urinate on the sneakers of people who trash Pasta.

Nothing aggressive, nothing hysterical. Just the opportunity to show contempt and disdain for people who are thick as pig shit and aren't putting ANY effort into changing that sad state of affairs.

"Yeah, interesting take you've got there. Let me think it over while I pee on your shoes. You don't mind do you?"

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is a great point.

Assuming we DO bring back DeBrusk at $5mil/yr and his numbers remain comparable to Frederic and Geekie. Are we willing to extend those guys to similar terms as well?
DeBrusk has had 3 seasons over 25 goals and plays everywhere in the very situation- if not for Clifton he gets game winner on PK gsme 6…..just me but I don’t think other two are at JDB level )
If I were King, I'd be allowed to urinate on the sneakers of people who trash Pasta.

Nothing aggressive, nothing hysterical. Just the opportunity to show contempt and disdain for people who are thick as pig shit and aren't putting ANY effort into changing that sad state of affairs.

"Yeah, interesting take you've got there. Let me think it over while I pee on your shoes. You don't mind do you?"
yah I didn’t expect it

the last game multiple guys in back of us but coming from different parts were heckling Swayman after he gave up 4th goal

Brazeau remains the only one loved by all

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
People would hate Mantha here. Would want him to play like Neely when he’s a finesse guy

Anything under 6.5 is wishful thinking for Jake imo. He would get a 6/39 deal offer 10 minutes into free agency. Don’t know him but he doesn’t seem the type to leave money on the table
Anyone who pays JDB $6.5M for a lengthy deal is going to regret it. Not saying it won't happen, just saying that's too steep for what he can deliver consistently. If I could find a sports psychiatrist that could fix whatever crisis of confidences young Jake seems to go through every few months????? I'd pay THAT guy $6.5M a year.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
How is he better than Zacha or Coyle, sorry can't see it, he is also 30 years old, total pass, there other holes too fill.
Stephenson would allow Zacha to move to wing. I like the idea especially if Jake is walking.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
DeBrusk plays

yah I didn’t expect it

the last game multiple guys in back of us but coming from different parts were heckling Swayman after he gave up 4th goal

Brazeau remains the only one loved by all
As my friend in UK likes to say "now't so queer as folk".

Reactions: DKH

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Stephenson would allow Zacha to move to wing. I like the idea especially if Jake is walking.
I am reading posts how Monty wants more physicality and you want a 209 pounder that has less than 50 hits this year and has only score 20 goals once...............PASS

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Anyone who pays JDB $6.5M for a lengthy deal is going to regret it. Not saying it won't happen, just saying that's too steep for what he can deliver consistently. If I could find a sports psychiatrist that could fix whatever crisis of confidences young Jake seems to go through every few months????? I'd pay THAT guy $6.5M a year.
gives you 17 min a night. 2nd PK and PP units. Top 6 forward ES/TOI. Averages 24 goals per 82. is 28 when next season starts

Someone will give it. Not saying I would

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Debrusk will be overpaid in free agency, but possibly underpaid with the extension in Boston. Easy decision for him to chase the $$ as a person. As a fan it would be wonderful if he signed a "reasonable" $5 million x 5 years or so but he will do much better - $ and production elsewhere.

Comparing Mantha, that is not a good comparison. Mantha has always been an overhyped prospect due to size but his reputation is not earned by mistake.

Edmonton will easily take the risk of Hyman - McDavid - Debrusk and Debrusk likely scores 40.

This is a great point.

Assuming we DO bring back DeBrusk at $5mil/yr and his numbers remain comparable to Frederic and Geekie. Are we willing to extend those guys to similar terms as well?

No. The players will expect it and that is on them to find a team to pay them as such. The Bruins would be making a mistake based on sample size alone.

Reactions: Kegs

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
One thing to consider is DeBrusk wants to play here

I think we are going to see less and less FA want to come here

Taxes
Weather
Traffic

listening to calls into 98.5 trashing Pastrnak and hearing Swayman heckled and team booed last 5-10 minutes Canes game was an eye opener

We were joking ‘tough crowd’ but I’m a player why deal with this whrn you can play in warmer weather where you can chill and don’t have to worry your parents are sitting next to some loud mouth drunk razing your kid

Gotta give Jake credit but my advice is go play with Leon & McDavid

I can see more players eschewing the Bruins as soon as this summer

Reactions: GoBs

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
The only way I would give Debrusk good money is if he is a monster this playoffs through all the games they play. Like the Debrusk we saw in Edmonton. We know he can get up in play that way when it’s in front of family but he has to want it like that in the playoffs. If not then I’d be wary because if he gets comfortable will he be even more inconsistent

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
DeBrusk's playoff performance will dictate his pay whether it's here or elsewhere. The frustrating thing with DeBrusk is his consistency. As a top 6F, he needs to be consistent. He doesn't need to score every play he's on the ice, but it would be nice if he was more involved in plays. I think if we look at Heinen and his success this season, everyone knows you are going to get a consistent player that is going to be involved in making a play, be in the right spot to receive a pass to keep the play alive, etc.

When DeBrusk plays that way, like in Edmonton, he is a player that is an X-factor every shift. When he's not playing that way, he's more of a top 9 forward than a top 6. I also see him more of a north-south type of player where the Bruins in the last few seasons have become more of a possession team which I think has affected his numbers. DeBrusk not having that physical edge to his game since his early years also is a downside.

The question is, do the Bruins spend $6M+ AAV for a top 9 winger? The Bruins and other teams will have the cap space to offer that, but is it a good idea for the Bruins to allocate that much money for what DeBrusk sometimes brings?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: