Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
DeBrusk signed his last extension on Trade Deadline Day

The biggest thing working against Jake is Felger tells his 1 million weekly listeners he wouldn’t sign him

Felger is an outstanding radio host - he has it. I think he’s the most entertaining I’ve heard since maybe Eddie Andelman very early years before a became a vindictive bullshit artist.

However Felger 2-6 is influential and it’s been dripping right here

If Jake wants 7 M and 8 years I probably don’t go there

6/40 I’d offer and as a player I’d accept as long as there is NMC

Also monty needs to keep him at LW with Pasta & Zacha
I don't listen to Felger since I live now in Florida and have since '02. So I'm not influenced by his opinion.

I have however followed, watched, and studied Bruins hockey and NHL since the late 60's.

IF Jake DeBrusk makes it to FA some team is going to over pay for his services. He may try to leverage that to get a larger contract from Boston. While his overall game has improved and he is not a defensive liability he is an extremely streaky and inconsistent offensive presence.

Going into today's game Jake has 12 goals on the year, 2 of which are GWG. It is quite possible he scores 6 goals over the next two weeks then goes cold again for the next 4 weeks and ends the final weeks of the season scoring 2 - 4 goals and finishes with 20+.

It looks good as 20 goal scorer. He is what he is ... a tweener between a high level 3rd liner and a low end second liner. There is nothing to be ashamed about that many players make living in the NHL doing just that. Some may say he is a second liner because he has repeatedly scored 20 goals.

Taking a hard look Jake, as stated earlier, in not a defensive liability. However, he is not a line driver nor does he constantly create offense on his own. He does not create or set a tempo for the game or even his line. He is very opportunistic. When he is focused and engaged in the game he will at times use his speed to find open space or drive to the net. However, he relies tremendously upon the talent and skills of his teammates to create the majority of his scoring opportunities.

I would love to see Jake play with confidence being a presence on the ice and force other teams to have to pay special attention to him. Unfortunately to often he disappears into the flow of the game and becomes a non issue. Boston needs him at this point of his career to become a leader in his demeanor, attitude, and work ethic.

From what I have seen over the years and this season from Jake DeBrusk I would be offering him a choice of two possible contracts (ntc the first half with limited - no trade protection the last half of each) 2yrs/11m or 4yrs/21m. Low ball? That would be a 37.5 or 31.25 percent increase over what he is currently being paid. Just my personal opinion.

Yes, some GM for some team will be foolish enough to pay him more. And if he were to be offered something in that range by the Bruins he will probably balk at signing. Therefore, the Bruins should do their due diligence exploring all trade scenarios before the trade deadline. They must either trade or sign him before then. They can not let him have the option to walk away.

One compromise scenario is they sign him for a higher average and trade him at some point later, therefore protecting their asset. And that will allow the team to evaluate whether he figures into the plans and budget going forward. And the still greater chance of a more beneficial trade developing without the pressure of the deadline.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
He's been on the Zacha/Pasta line for 2 games. 2.

Let him settle into a role ffs.

You’ll have to take this beef up with Montgomery who put JVR with Pasta and Zacha to end the game.

I don’t want to mix threads but I’m getting more and more fine with a Hanafin trade because it means we likely need to transition to a top-6 bottom-6 money allocation situation and ride two forward lines. If we do that, there’s no room for a tag along middle sixer like Debrusk moving forward.

Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You’ll have to take this beef up with Montgomery who put JVR with Pasta and Zacha to end the game.

I don’t want to mix threads but I’m getting more and more fine with a Hanafin trade because it means we likely need to transition to a top-6 bottom-6 money allocation situation and ride two forward lines. If we do that, there’s no room for a tag along middle sixer like Debrusk moving forward.
DeBrusk played the whole game with Zach, and Pasta after that being the best line out there and replaces DeBrusk with JVR, maybe it is time to take a look at Monty and constant line changes, could that be part of the problem with this team.

Reactions: Mione134

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
DeBrusk played the whole game with Zach, and Pasta after that being the best line out there and replaces DeBrusk with JVR, maybe it is time to take a look at Monty and constant line changes, could that be part of the problem with this team.
I was pissed when they let Bruce go because he is a better defensive coach by a mile.That said though Montys record cannot be ignored in spite if he is making some recent mistakes.We need to hope he learns too I guess.As for Jake ya'll know where I stand on him.No deal they need to move him.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Yep

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
DeBrusk will not make more than Marchand and Coyle for that matter, they're both doing better than him, just on points alone.
As it has been stated, he is far too inconsistent, to demand more than those two guys.
In the past Sweeney has stated he was afraid to trade Jake, because of his potential to be a consistent producer, but hasn't happened for various reasons.
So to me, it's time to trade him, and/or package him at the deadline.
But of course Sweeney may hang onto him, as long as the contract is within reason, of course.

Last year most of the team made more than Krejci. It doesn't work how you think it works.

That said I'm also starting to lean towards a deal if there's one out there. Can't be a nonsense deal.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
JD will get his deal, like it or not. Pasta and Brad can get away for a while without a center but will help make that center accumulate more points.

Jake NEEDS a center that's capable of getting him the puck, we do not employee any right now. And please stop wit the Coyle having a great year, of course he is, even with that he's been garbage since a/s brake and blows chunks on the must have face offs

Reactions: BergyWho37

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Could be. Could also be that Zacha and Pasta had some good chances, Jake looked like a passenger again.

I agree giving Jake some more looks on that line because it benefits the team to get him going. But, JVR was moved up because Jake was otherwise, AGAIN, invisible.

Debrusk reminds me of Kessel. Not in game play or style. Moreso in that he’s a great complimentary piece to a complete team. Put him on Tampa when they were winning cups, put him on Colorado today, he’s a force. On Boston, with stress and scrutiny of contract renewal, and needing him to be a cornerstone piece. It’s just not a good situation for his psyche. Just my opinion but I’d welcome an argument to it.

I want Debrusk to do well. But I’m beyond torn with rooting for Debrusk versus what it costs to retain Debrusk versus ROI. I’m just not seeing it anymore.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Well I see this place is their usual rational self after a loss

He definitely seems more shook than you expect for a guy you give a 7 handle too. You want your 7 handle players to be rock solid. I know it's not always the case specially with teams handing young guys huge deals. But I think for a guy who has been here this long, people are just tired of never knowing which Jake shows up.

But today I feel that way about many of the vets. I just rarely see the other vets go this way so often, and none make 7.X

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Not to defend Montgomery's moves but JVR had 3 points today and it could have been as simple as hoping some of that would rub off on Zacha and Pastrnak towards the end of the game. It didn't ... damned if you do damned if you don't.

Reactions: Gordoff

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Not to defend Montgomery's moves but JVR had 3 points today and it could have been as simple as hoping some of that would rub off on Zacha and Pastrnak towards the end of the game. It didn't ... damned if you do damned if you don't.
JVR showed he belonged with Pasta and Zacha today. DeBrusk looked pedestrian and passing up that wide open shot on a 2-1 was confirmation of it. Blaming Monty for shuffling the lines has to stop. If you want to be a top forward you need to be able to play up and down the line up at a moments notice. He also doesn't drive a line and he doesn't make the players around him better.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I don’t think Montgomery is completely devoid of blame in anything. However at some point the onus has to be on the player to get with the program.

Debrusk had his best season under Monty last year.

This is Debrusk’s second coach and he is still having these same issues. So I ask, who is the common denominator here?

Again, I believe there is a very good player in there, I want him to succeed because if he does the Bruins succeed. He needs to give them more and he is flat out not giving it to them. It’s an issue.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
JVR showed he belonged with Pasta and Zacha today. DeBrusk looked pedestrian and passing up that wide open shot on a 2-1 was confirmation of it. Blaming Monty for shuffling the lines has to stop. If you want to be a top forward you need to be able to play up and down the line up at a moments notice. He also doesn't drive a line and he doesn't make the players around him better.
Exactly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad