Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
DeBrusk signed his last extension on Trade Deadline Day

The biggest thing working against Jake is Felger tells his 1 million weekly listeners he wouldn’t sign him

Felger is an outstanding radio host - he has it. I think he’s the most entertaining I’ve heard since maybe Eddie Andelman very early years before a became a vindictive bullshit artist.

However Felger 2-6 is influential and it’s been dripping right here

If Jake wants 7 M and 8 years I probably don’t go there

6/40 I’d offer and as a player I’d accept as long as there is NMC

Also monty needs to keep him at LW with Pasta & Zacha

Reactions: Mione134 and LSCII

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He needs to sign an extension in the next week or you move him prior to the deadline. You can't let him hold up and extension for Sway and possibly JVR and hindering the ability to actually improve the roster. His inconsistency makes this team weaker.
Not sure what you mean, Ali.

If his inconsistencies weaken the team, why would you want him signed to an extension? Sounds like an argument to move on from him regardless, unless I'm missing something.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I would trade him because they aren’t going to pay him what he wants. losing Another player for nothing would be stupid. They aren’t the powerhouse from last year.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I am in the trade him camp if his next contract ask is what we think it will be ($6m+ and 5+yrs). That said, if he wants 5x4, I'd probably do it. That said, Sweeney is in a tough spot because the team is in contention however much many of us rate their ultimate playoff chances. Jake could get on a heater at the right time and help push the Bruins through a couple round or more. We know he CAN do it. If we move him, we're getting something back we hope will help more than losing him. On the other hand, if he continues with the long slumps . . . tough call for the Sweens.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
He needs to sign an extension in the next week or you move him prior to the deadline. You can't let him hold up and extension for Sway and possibly JVR and hindering the ability to actually improve the roster. His inconsistency makes this team weaker.

I think there is definitely an organizational benefit to letting people know as well. The organization has a line and has expectations. If your name isn't Pasta or Charlie, chances are we will find a way to move on from you smartly if your performance is uneven, or your results just aren't there. In that sense I don't mind that line being drawn in the sand.

It's funny because 6M and a life as Boston legend is a hell of a life. Or you gamble that you can get 7.5M in Columbus and see how life goes for you. That's often how these things go. Or go enjoy Canadian taxes, for example.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Not sure what you mean, Ali.

If his inconsistencies weaken the team, why would you want him signed to an extension? Sounds like an argument to move on from him regardless, unless I'm missing something.
I want to move him. I was trying to say that they need to know either way this week so they can look to move him prior to the deadline or if they need to re-work their trade deadline target list. I hope that clarifies what I clearly failed to say in my original post.

I don't want them to drag out a Swayman extension and I feel like JVR has done enough to get another 1 year deal and I'd like that locked down as well for planning purposes.

Reactions: Gordoff

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
My questions for people who want him re-signed at 6m+. If he was making 6m+ and had a year like he’s having now (on pace for 18g and 40ish points) would you be happy with his performance? Furthermore, as we know, Debrusk seems to ebb and flow with what’s going on around him. How do we think he handles the pressure if he doesn’t live up to his contract?

I like the player but I have major concerns about consistency.

I agree though, Sweeney is in a tough spot, this team has over performed and are on the cusp of a playoff birth. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I am in the trade him camp if his next contract ask is what we think it will be ($6m+ and 5+yrs). That said, if he wants 5x4, I'd probably do it. That said, Sweeney is in a tough spot because the team is in contention however much many of us rate their ultimate playoff chances. Jake could get on a heater at the right time and help push the Bruins through a couple round or more. We know he CAN do it. If we move him, we're getting something back we hope will help more than losing him. On the other hand, if he continues with the long slumps . . . tough call for the Sweens.

If you do decide to deal DeBrusk by the TDL it certainly completely changes the types of other moves you would be look to make.

Trying to connect the dots to that and Buffalo AGM scouting the Bruins two games in a row, for instance.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

The biggest thing working against Jake is Felger tells his 1 million weekly listeners he wouldn’t sign him

Felger is an outstanding radio host - he has it. I think he’s the most entertaining I’ve heard since maybe Eddie Andelman very early years before a became a vindictive bullshit artist.

Have to believe Jake and his agent sign 6/40 before the ink dries on the contract. Whatever he actually signs for will be less than that.

Reactions: Gordoff

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
DeBrusk will not make more than Marchand and Coyle for that matter, they're both doing better than him, just on points alone.
As it has been stated, he is far too inconsistent, to demand more than those two guys.
In the past Sweeney has stated he was afraid to trade Jake, because of his potential to be a consistent producer, but hasn't happened for various reasons.
So to me, it's time to trade him, and/or package him at the deadline.
But of course Sweeney may hang onto him, as long as the contract is within reason, of course.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

I might agree with you on some of your posts and I might disagree, that's how it works, but when mention Felger and outstanding in the same sentence, I will be kind and say that puts you in a different light...........

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Ya felger is definitely the biggest thing working against Debrusk. Not the fact he’s struggling to score away from bergy and marchand

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Ya felger is definitely the biggest thing working against Debrusk. Not the fact he’s struggling to score away from bergy and marchand
Seems like other than Pasta and Marchand, the team is still adjusting to not having Bergeron. Players are playing differently. Learning how to be a different player. Others having to step up and be a #1 center even though they aren't, like Coyle.

I'd say everyone is feeling it. Jake looks good with Zacha and Pasta once again.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Seems like other than Pasta and Marchand, the team is still adjusting to not having Bergeron. Players are playing differently. Learning how to be a different player. Others having to step up and be a #1 center even though they aren't, like Coyle.

I'd say everyone is feeling it. Jake looks good with Zacha and Pasta once again.

Ahh yes he’s “looked good again” with 0 goals and 0 assists in his last 7 games while being a -3 during that span.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Looking like he will be going 8 games with out a point assuming he doesn’t get one in this game against the Kings.

You simply need more. I like him, I want him to succeed, but you just need more than that with the top six minutes he gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad