Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Show your work?

To an extent that's also going to require a projection on the deals we're about to see with this higher cap (which is when Jake is signing).

Teravainen's contract is one we can discuss in relation. Recently we can look at Bertuzzi, Zucker, Tarasenko, Gaudreau, Palat, Burakovsky...

And then project today dollars on this new cap, and 7 years out
Not sure why you think Gaudreau is a comparable, but the rest are okay. Add Zacha, Barbashev, Bunting, Smith, Rakell.

They're all around +/- $5M players. That's not going to $7M when the cap limit goes up 5%.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If you cant even compare what future contract JD is going to get based on what a very similar player signed for last year then what is even the purpose of discussion here? You start going too far back and then all of a sudden those deals are dated.

I think it holds a little bit of weight

He specifically signed a one year deal because the market last year was a mess. Its obviously a different situation than a year where everyone is getting 4-5 million more cap dollars out of thin air.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He specifically signed a one year deal because the market last year was a mess. Its obviously a different situation than a year where everyone is getting 4-5 million more cap dollars out of thin air.
He settled for that because there wasn't the market for him that he thought was going to be there. He was asking for and thinking he was getting multiple years, till he settled for Toronto on 1 year deal

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not sure why you think Gaudreau is a comparable, but the rest are okay. Add Zacha, Barbashev, Bunting, Smith, Rakell.

They're all around +/- $5M players. That's not going to $7M when the cap limit goes up 5%.

When Zacha signed his deal his career highs in goals were 17 and his career high in points was 36.

Barbashev has only gotten more than 29 points once in his career

When Rakell signed his deal, he had seasons of 20, 9, 15 and 18 goals in the previous four seasons.

Smith is closer, although comes with the asterisk that he signed his deal on the wrong side of 30.

Reactions: HustleB

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Im not jettisoning DeBrusk for a Bertucci type. Jake is better and more importantly will likely be better going forward. Im also not giving Jake 6x6 with NTC or whatever. Wingers that arent on top tier level are not worth it. You are locking in $ that can be used for C and D down the line and its the easiest to replace. I'd keep Frederic, Coyle etc before him. The next versions of Geekie, JVR, rookies can fill in his role

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He settled for that because there wasn't the market for him that he thought was going to be there. He was asking for and thinking he was getting multiple years, till he settled for Toronto on 1 year deal

We are saying the same thing. Teams were broke because of the cap and he couldn't get the deal he wanted. So he took an underpayment in 5.5 to try again this year when everyone is rich.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Gotta think a lot of contending teams would be drooling at the thought of getting a 27 year old consistent 20-30 goal scorer for "free". There will be much, much worse FA deals given.
Right. So some people seem to forget the the other party (the player) has to agree to the terms offered. Why would Jake ever take less than $6M?

Reactions: Dellstrom

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Right. So some people seem to forget the the other party (the player) has to agree to the terms offered. Why would Jake ever take less than $6M?
If he really likes the city and wants to win here, sure, he can take a bit of a discount. I get that things have changed, but he's publicly requested a trade and struggled mentally here a few years ago. Whether the stressors are gone or not, I'm not really expecting a hometown discount.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he really likes the city and wants to win here, sure, he can take a bit of a discount. I get that things have changed, but he's publicly requested a trade and struggled mentally here a few years ago. Whether the stressors are gone or not, I'm not really expecting a hometown discount.

I suspect it will be a hometown discount, in that I expect if he signs an extension early it will be for less than he could have gotten in FA. Will people on the board consider it such, maybe not but I think anything under 7 mil per is him taking the discount

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
When Zacha signed his deal his career highs in goals were 17 and his career high in points was 36.
Okay, he missed some games from injuries in his NJ days. Played at the same type of points pace as Debrusk has though. He scores less goals, but he also brings the versatility of being able to play center. Won't argue if you think Debrusk is worth a little more, but if you think he's worth $2M+ more then I definitely disagree as I don't see that much of a difference in their respective values to the Bruins.

Barbashev has only gotten more than 29 points once in his career
Yes, 60 points in '21-22 and the big playoff performance last year. Looks like he's got pretty similar numbers to Jake this year too. Is his deal not a decent comparison for you? You think Jake is worth $2M more?

When Rakell signed his deal, he had seasons of 20, 9, 15 and 18 goals in the previous four seasons.
Yeah, he seems to be a streaky player, scoring 33 and 34 goals the years before those, and then 28 goals and 60 points last year.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Has anyone pondered the notion that 6M being fair and 7M being outrageous is....a broken way of thinking?

Guys the 1M cannot be that big a mistake over that duration in an escalating cap environment. Seeing people bend themselves into pretzels for 750k to 1M, I don't get it.

There's much bigger cap mistakes out there.
I am not sure I totally agree , at some point you need to put the brakes on your spending, just because your cap is escalating does not mean you piss it away, 500,000 or a 1 mil might cut you out of a chance to get a third or fourth liner that could put your team in a better place.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
But you have to make a decision on Jake, without knowing whether you might be able to sign Bertuzzi for less. They really should be making a decision on Jake before the trade deadline, but yes there is a chance it could go all the way into summer.

Also you don't know what Bertuzzi is willing to sign for. According to rumors they did try to lock him up last year before FA, and they just couldn't get him down to an acceptable price (likely wanted north of 6 mil)

There is certainly no guarantee Bertuzzi is going to sign for less than 6 million next summer
What team do you think will give Bertuzzi 6 mil, not sure that I would, as a matter a fact I am sure that I wouldn't......

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think folks forget how snake bitten Bertuzzi was before those playoff games. And that he really brings nothing until the cycle is setup in the o-zone. And that even in the playoffs he was a defensive liability.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I am not sure I totally agree , at some point you need to put the brakes on your spending, just because your cap is escalating does not mean you piss it away, 500,000 or a 1 mil might cut you out of a chance to get a third or fourth liner that could put your team in a better place.

The variance in the player's play over 7 years alone does not allow you to figure out if 500k-1m is being pissed away. You get that, right?

The really good deals here are a challenge too - Marchand at 6.25 Coyle at 5+, Zacha at 4.75. I know they were signed at different times but it's hard to picture them dishing out heavy for a hot and cold complimentary middle 6 wing. But what do I know, maybe they see him as a core to build around for the future.

On Edmonton, Toronto, Colorado, and a dozen other teams, could he be a 30g first line player?

We all know the answer. With Bergeron and Marchand he was easily a first line player.

He's streaky. But it's intellectually dishonest to say he's purely middle six. He's top 6.

I was just showing the range of wingers signed, and we slide Jake somewhere in that range

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What team do you think will give Bertuzzi 6 mil, not sure that I would, as a matter a fact I am sure that I wouldn't......

I don't know if anyone will give it to him, I am quite sure he believes he is worth more than that. He believes he took a one year deal at below his market value in toronto , with the belief he could the deal he wanted next summer

Maybe the rest of the league realizes how little he plays in his own end and will never give him what he wants

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

No. And the issue is THIS year, there's not many Jake's coming up as UFAs. None, basically.

Look if Jake can get 8.5M somewhere, he's not gonna be a Bruin. I think we know. Then it's Bertuzzi plan B and groom Lysell. But for 7M? Sweenius gives it to him imho.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I suspect it will be a hometown discount, in that I expect if he signs an extension early it will be for less than he could have gotten in FA. Will people on the board consider it such, maybe not but I think anything under 7 mil per is him taking the discount
If he signs a hometown discount it'd probably be in Edmonton. He hasn't been the happiest camper in Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad