Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk III: Signs 2 Years 3.675 AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Pretty close to where I expected. Two years to improve his consistency and prove that he can earn a bigger deal.

Reactions: bruins19

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
with the huge change in nhl economics resulting from this crisis we are going through... its very difficult i think to use past comparables to establish what the true value of contracts going forward should be.

this deal does seem 'fair' as 'fair' can be in the new reality

everyone in the nhl is going to be getting screwed some over the next couple years as the 50-50 hrr split gets hammered out. even though escrow for a single year is capped, there still needs to be an accounting down the line. escrow clawback is going to be at record levels for the forseeable future

and then... there is deferred salaries... there could very well be pro-rated payouts too. a 3-4 mill contract to a player may be putting less than 50% of that into their pockets by the time things shake out.

but what alternative is there for the players? even playing for 40-45% of an nhl contract beats the hell out of flipping burgers or mowing lawns.

so debrusk could possibly have gotten more on a longer deal but hes going to be losing it all the next couple years anyhow. the smart thing was to sign for a year or two... try to get the bleeding done... and hope somehow things bounce back super fast and he has time for a career payoff contract as he nears his ufa eligibility.

for the bruins... i like it. we get a high quality second line 20-30 goal scoring winger who doesnt suck at defense for quite a reasonable cap hit. this cap hit for this player is tradable. either he fits in here possibly with studnicka as his new center or he continues to be a bit of a poor fit and we trade him. either way we should come out good

another great job of gm by sweeney. i didnt really think he was coming in under 4 mill for a short term deal. admittedly, the discount is probably largely due to covid. but our overall cap management is just pure excellence.

go bruins go and welcome back jake

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
with the huge change in nhl economics resulting from this crisis we are going through... its very difficult i think to use past comparables to establish what the true value of contracts going forward should be.

this deal does seem 'fair' as 'fair' can be in the new reality

everyone in the nhl is going to be getting screwed some over the next couple years as the 50-50 hrr split gets hammered out. even though escrow for a single year is capped, there still needs to be an accounting down the line. escrow clawback is going to be at record levels for the forseeable future

and then... there is deferred salaries... there could very well be pro-rated payouts too. a 3-4 mill contract to a player may be putting less than 50% of that into their pockets by the time things shake out.

but what alternative is there for the players? even playing for 40-45% of an nhl contract beats the hell out of flipping burgers or mowing lawns.

so debrusk could possibly have gotten more on a longer deal but hes going to be losing it all the next couple years anyhow. the smart thing was to sign for a year or two... try to get the bleeding done... and hope somehow things bounce back super fast and he has time for a career payoff contract as he nears his ufa eligibility.

for the bruins... i like it. we get a high quality second line 20-30 goal scoring winger who doesnt suck at defense for quite a reasonable cap hit. this cap hit for this player is tradable. either he fits in here possibly with studnicka as his new center or he continues to be a bit of a poor fit and we trade him. either way we should come out good

another great job of gm by sweeney. i didnt really think he was coming in under 4 mill for a short term deal. admittedly, the discount is probably largely due to covid. but our overall cap management is just pure excellence.

go bruins go and welcome back jake

Good post.

Although I think he does suck at the defensive end.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Bruins will now make a move on free agency knowing numbers left with Jake locked.Sweeney did good here for sure.Really happy about this move & numbers.

What worthwhile FAs are there for 3M of cap space (Plus some probably reserved for Chara)?

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Bruins will now make a move on free agency knowing numbers left with Jake locked.Sweeney did good here for sure.Really happy about this move & numbers.

I haven't been paying attention. Who's left that would fit under the cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad