Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk III: Signs 2 Years 3.675 AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The next era for him is on his shoulders. Does he grow a bit more in his game to get that next big contract or does he stay the same and probably gets traded in the second year? I was thinking a bridge for him. Sweeney has just two decisions left. Sign a free agent and Chara.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Considering I thought he was going to get closer to 5 the number is decent. Not amazing but decent. He needs to take the next step. I don't see it. But hopefully I'm wrong.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Considering I thought he was going to get closer to 5 the number is decent. Not amazing but decent. He needs to take the next step. I don't see it. But hopefully I'm wrong.

Well if he doesn’t take the next step, you still have a player who can give you 25+ goals so that’s good.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Good contract, DeBrusk needs to step up. The one thing Sweeney is good at is RFA contracts. Doesn't fall too far in love with his own players for the most part and gets good deals. Now Sweeney just needs to work on every other aspect of the GM job.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Still not a fan of stapling him next to Krejci. I feel as though a lot of these criticisms of Jake's game would evaporate if he was Coyle's winger and the net drive could be used to a much more effective extent.

I believe DeBrusk has the potential to be a hero in Boston. We've already seen it a couple of times in the playoffs what he can do with his extra gear. I disagree with the demand for consistency (he's not meant to be your go-to guy, but a complimentary scorer), but I do think he seems out of place far too often.

I hope he's in Boston for a long time and that he can carve out his niche in the lineup. I'm a big fan.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Good deal for the B's. I've often said that the biggest overpayment in the NHL is for wingers who score 25 goals a year. This is reasonable dough and short term, enough time to figure out if DeBrusk can become a consistent player.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Still not a fan of stapling him next to Krejci. I feel as though a lot of these criticisms of Jake's game would evaporate if he was Coyle's winger and the net drive could be used to a much more effective extent.

I believe DeBrusk has the potential to be a hero in Boston. We've already seen it a couple of times in the playoffs what he can do with his extra gear. I disagree with the demand for consistency (he's not meant to be your go-to guy, but a complimentary scorer), but I do think he seems out of place far too often.

I hope he's in Boston for a long time and that he can carve out his niche in the lineup. I'm a big fan.
Great post, I think you nailed it!!!

Reactions: HustleB

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
We'll see. I can't shake the sense that the Kadri hit derailed him and he is now who he is- a streaky goal scorer who when he isn't scoring doesn't do much of anything else.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I've been underwhelmed by Jake for quite awhile now. Hope he finds another level of consistency.
I have been completely underwhelmed by DeBrusk since the cheap head shot in the Toronto playoff series. He just does not seem like the same player since. I would completely throw in the towel if not for my experience in watching Bergeron recover from a severe concussion over multiple seasons.

I still have hope that he will grow beyond the player that he has already been for us. There is no guarantee but on this two year deal even if he is last seasons player for these next two years, it's not a bad contract. Maybe my blinders are just thick but I only see upside.

Reactions: BMC

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What does this do to the trade rumors surrounding their need for a left defenseman... locked up for 2 years on a good deal that ends as a RFA ... does that make him more attractive to other teams or more valuable to Boston?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What does this do to the trade rumors surrounding their need for a left defenseman... locked up for 2 years on a good deal that ends as a RFA ... does that make him more attractive to other teams or more valuable to Boston?

I guess offer sheeting Sergachev is off the table now as well? It will be interesting to see what happens.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Now dispatch him with vak and get that oel monster. Then sign Hoffman. Let's go !!!! Oh yea maybe somone can help me with that cap stuff in doing this.
Rather get Bennett & Hanifan for DeBrusk & Vaakanainen

I like Jake but he’s like living in New England you never know what you are getting

If he stays which I’m ok with this is my top 6

Marchand-Bergeron-Studnicka
DeBrusk- Krejci-Pastrnak

pretty damn interesting with a 100 point player on each line, and two kids who should be core players

my bottom 6 I want size and toughness

Ritchie - Coyle - Smith
Frederic-Kuraly- Wagner

I’m excited if they can get Ritchie to maximize his conditioning and work on skating quickness first step / I’m a fan and with Coyle and Smith that’s a big assed line

Bjork-Lindholm-Senyshyn

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Rather get Bennett & Hanifan for DeBrusk & Vaakanainen

I like Jake but he’s like living in New England you never know what you are getting

If he stays which I’m ok with this is my top 6

Marchand-Bergeron-Studnicka
DeBrusk- Krejci-Pastrnak

pretty damn interesting with a 100 point player on each line, and two kids who should be core players

my bottom 6 I want size and toughness

Ritchie - Coyle - Smith
Frederic-Kuraly- Wagner

I’m excited if they can get Ritchie to maximize his conditioning and work on skating quickness first step / I’m a fan and with Coyle and Smith that’s a big assed line

Bjork-Lindholm-Senyshyn

What about Kase.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
You're never going to see Pasta on Krejci's RW full time. 63-37-88 is Cassidy's binky line and he will never change it. I thought Clode was stubborn but Cassidy is right there with him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The term and the money are fine. Two years for the guy to prove he deserves the dough, and the clock will be ticking.

Now we'll see if he can learn to be a consistant presence, one who doesn't disappear when he goes, frequently, cold. What does he do other than score, when he's "hot"? Nothing.

I would have traded his backside, but a short deal is fine. Someone said Sweeney's greatest strength's is negotiating these kinds of deals.

Correct.

Too bad neither he, or Neely, can do much else.

It's all "Meh" to me. They're going to be mediocre, MOC going forward. I still hope both president and GM will be fired. But I'll have to wait two years for that, as Monty rakes in his dollars and the ship continues to list.
I read you more careful than anyone else and go read what you wrote over the last 3 years

my advice delete it

it’s like me with football picks

if I say take the Patriots, take Houston.

It’s good to see you expecting mediocrity. I would feel better if you said they would be dog crap but mediocrity and meh is easy enough to remember

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

For me, Jake has a lot to work on.

Away from the puck in all zones, defensive responsibility and commitment. Seems like he's often looking for somewhere to go but not finding it.
Could be he just got lazy with his success at an early age. He seems to have regressed (overall) from his rookie season. Think its time for the coaching staff to light a fire under Jake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad