Prospect Info: Jake Boltmann, D, 80th overall

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Irish are out due to testing positive for Covid. It only takes one.

BTW, I understand the lack of enthusiasm for Boltman, and I am not saying he will be anything great, but he is an unusually good athlete, and is in a program(ND) that does a good job in developing hockey players. I am guessing that the scouts are betting on his athleticism.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don't have an issue drafting Boltman. When I was growing up in the 60's most every defensemen in minor hockey wanted to be the guy that stopped the other team from scoring. Then Bobby Orr came along and lots of kids wanted to score more than defend.

Boltman may or may not work out for the Flames, but that is no reason to deride the pick.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't have an issue drafting Boltman. When I was growing up in the 60's most every defensemen in minor hockey wanted to be the guy that stopped the other team from scoring. Then Bobby Orr came along and lots of kids wanted to score more than defend.

Boltman may or may not work out for the Flames, but that is no reason to deride the pick.

So boltman is the new Orr?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
There hasn't been a pick since Hunter Smith that has taken more flack (and I'm guilty). But everything we heard was that this kid was an athlete and excels at what he does. Hope he can continue to develop and make us all look stupid!

Reactions: Nanuuk

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know exactly how Boltmann will develop, but it would be a mistake to think that he will end up being a plodding defensive Dman. I would call him more of a versatile, average(not small) sized, two way dman. Think Matt Dumba's freakish athleticism, in about the same size frame. I am not saying that he is anywhere near that talented(certainly doesn't have the shot), but that might give you an idea of what Jake Boltmann is. There is upside there.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
As bizarre as this sounds... I'd like to see Boltmann tried a little bit on forward as part of his development. It'll help his defensive development to understand how a forward thinks IMO. Kylington for instance played C at one point.

It doesn't even need to be NCAA level. Just like beer league or playing with his old team mates from his high school or whatever.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I always thought Ryan McDonagh was a decent comparable in terms of playstyle, and if you look at the sophomore numbers of each guy they are extremely similar (13 in 30, vs 16 in 36).

He is still the youngest defensemen on his team and has shown steady signs of improving. He was a third round pick... the odds were and will continue to be stacked against him but to completely write off a 19/20 year old kid as most of you did (especially in a COVID shortened season) always seemed silly to me. I hope he makes it.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
His junior season at Notre Dame just ended as the Irish were upset by Michigan State in the Big 10 tournament.

Tough to judge his game solely on offensive numbers (which dipped since last year).

Any news on his progress and whether he receives an ELC this year?

Seems doubtful but haven't seen him play this year.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
His junior season at Notre Dame just ended as the Irish were upset by Michigan State in the Big 10 tournament.

Tough to judge his game solely on offensive numbers (which dipped since last year).

Any news on his progress and whether he receives an ELC this year?

Seems doubtful but haven't seen him play this year.

IIRC, he's supposed to be a decent skating defensive minded dman. I think most Flames fans have written him off because he's hard to track stats wise and there isn't a steady stream of updates we can get to gauge his level, but I think he's a project. If I'm not mistaken, his TOI isn't great because of his age. Going forward, I think he might begin to show more, but honestly speaking, I don't know.

I do think it's a good thing that he can just focus on developing his game vs worrying about being a top prospect for the Flames. Hopefully he pans out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Boltmann is staying in the NCAA for a 5th year, and transferring to Northeastern University.

Interesting, I don't get it.

Northeastern's defense is really interesting next year they have 4 freshmen committed, and 3 defensemen transferring in from other schools... 6 of those 7 defensemen are RHD. They also potentially have 6 defensemen returning, 3 of whom are RHD, although one only played 1 game last year.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
It's common to mishit 3rd rd picks but we overachieving in this category for sure!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad