Prospect Info: Jake Boltmann, D, 80th overall

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Wasted pick, nobody rated him higher than a 7th rounder, most dont even mention him. Not sure why they spent such a high pick on the guy. It would be 6 yrs before we see him if at all.

Yeah there’s decent odds he would have been able to be a training camp invitee. But, the Flames obviously liked this guy enough to acquire a pick and draft him. So we will see.

But I agree, there was many other intriguing options.

McKeen's had him ranked around 100th I believe - It's very possible another team had him ranked similarly. NHL teams are much more dialed in than anyone else and know exactly which teams are heavily scouting certain players. Calgary was in a position to draft the top rated player on their list and took it. "Consensus" rankings at that spot in the draft mean shit all.

Also a camp invite does very little if anything at all. You can't sign him as he is committed to playing collegiate hockey. If he becomes the player Calgary is projecting him to be over the next handful of years then the likelihood of signing him down the road becomes incredibly small as interest around the league would be huge.

Only time will tell. You have to trust your scouts.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
0 pts in 25 games this year in the USHL and NCAA hockey... yikes. Probably our worst pick since Mattson in 2016.

we picked 2 guys early with no offense what so ever.....

maybe Treliving was preparing for Sutter

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So the more that I am reading about Boltmann and trying to read between the lines, he is a RHS RD that is a defensive dman type player. He's played a few other sports including QB in football. He is mentioned as high tenacity type of dman who likes to get in the muck. With his football background, he shouldn't shy from contact and his hip check might be a tool that he will utilize a lot.

Watching clips of his older brother Brock Boltmann and looking at his parents, he does seem like he is going to have high twitch muscles and he will be reasonable sized and might develop to be a slightly stockier player. Curt Giles was his coach and likely the style he imitates, but somehow Jake Sanderson's name popped up as a comparable too. This seems weird and out of place. Of the Minnesota guys, the guys taken before him were all smooth skaters and then somehow there is a comment that basically hints that Boltmann isn't too far off from these guys who are being compared to guys like McDonagh and Niskanen.

Minnesota's best heading into NHL draft

There's also seemingly hints that while he's obviously a tier below some higher profile player's he's doing so in a manner where he's still able to hang in the same range as these guys while being younger and undoubtedly raw. Bizarrely, it seems like many scouts have seen a bit of him, admit he's not bad, but basically have nothing good nor bad to say about him. He's somehow a known player who is extremely invisible as a dman. How often do we say that a dman that you don't really notice is a good one? This is kinda like what it feels like some of the scouting commentary is on Boltmann while his stats are horrifically unassuming. There could be something there if he's somehow reasonably invisible.

Another curiosity is that his father is basically a football coach. Perhaps there is also a little bit of a gamble in that if Covid shut down lots of the training facilities, he, through his father and brother could still develop good athletic skills and continue developing more than some of the other prospects out there while some others might stall? There's also a few Minnesota products that surprised relative to draft position.

If I had to guess though, there's something about what Boltmann that leans towards a Tanev type. A potential long shot elite speedy shutdown type which in theory will help to vastly round out the offensive minded guys we have coming down the pipeline (ie: RD Boltmann vs Kinnvall and LD Kuznetsov vs RD Poirier). It also feels a little bit like 2015 in taking Andersson over Kylington (well rounded vs offense first) and in hindsight we seemingly have two pairs of those right now in the system after that draft. I'm also feeling some middle pairing lower floor higher ceiling faster develop guy vibes akin to Kulak, Schlemko, Braun etc... so I wonder if that's what someone was going for when we nabbed some double edged sword guys like Poirer/Kylington (at the time).

Another bizarre trait that seems to stick out with the two defensive minded rear guards is that there are comments about expectations to teach those two guys some offense. We frequently hear that offensive instinct cannot be taught, but there is bizarre commentary that hints there is an expectation for Boltmann and Kuznetsov to learn some offense. With Boltmann's football QB experience, this could be an odd reason why there's some commentary hinting they'd take that bet.

This guy could totally bust... but there's some weird facets to him that I can see why maybe why a scout thinks he should be bet on and nabbed him and Kuznetsov early. Something that still seems super odd though is that somehow there's not much info on this kid even though he keeps getting invited to certain tournaments/teams that aren't totally low profile.

No idea what to expect with this kid.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Obviously the Flames scouting team walked into a hardware store here and each walked out with a tool but no one thought to buy a toolbox. Time will tell if one is needed.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
0 pts in 25 games this year in the USHL and NCAA hockey... yikes. Probably our worst pick since Mattson in 2016.

Points aren't everything especially for a d-man, but yeah, you knew the second he was drafted this was a bad pick. I like most picks from the 2020 draft, but I have no idea what they saw/see in Boltmann.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Points aren't everything especially for a d-man, but yeah, you knew the second he was drafted this was a bad pick. I like most picks from the 2020 draft, but I have no idea what they saw/see in Boltmann.

I agree. I don't totally know what's going on either. But there definitely seemed like there was some nervousness that someone might have taken him and so they locked him up right away. Minny has been producing a lot of surprise talents/fast track surprises lately, but I really don't know what we got in Boltmann. Usually you can figure out what you have and a relatively unknown guy will start to have their prospect information compiled and filled in as things go along... but this hasn't happened and we don't really know what type of player he is. I don't believe this is purely due to Covid either.

My guess is that they're aiming for something with an upside ceiling of Vlasic or Tanev with Boltmann. Perhaps they specifically wanted some physical defensive dmen to round out the prospect pool so went after Kuznetsov and Boltmann vs other offensive minded dmen. Another possibility is that there's some curiosity with an atypical approach to hockey via football a la Anders Lee they'd like to study. Coaches seem to like him though and often offer him leadership on a team and he definitely seems to have all the other attributes that our management and coaches seemed to love in players (attitude, tenacity etc.).

Obviously the Flames scouting team walked into a hardware store here and each walked out with a tool but no one thought to buy a toolbox. Time will tell if one is needed.

More like we bought a toolbox with a mystery tool inside. Whatever is inside doesn't seem heavy duty though. Time will tell if what's inside is still ultimately still quite valuable, or if we bought a pricey box full of inexpensive hand tools.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't mind the Boltmann pick as much because we took Poirier in the same round. I thought Kuznetsov was a pretty bad reach in the 2nd round and I still do

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Considering Chris Tanev is a member of our best D pair currently I’d thought people would’ve warmed up to defenseman who focus on strong defense instead of offense by now.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Considering Chris Tanev is a member of our best D pair currently I’d thought people would’ve warmed up to defenseman who focus on strong defense instead of offense by now.

Christopher Tanev Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Chris Tanev was a late bloomer and had strong numbers in college. Even the best defensive dmen generally produce well at lower levels. If you go your entire D +1 season without a single point in 25 games, your odds at the nhl are probably 0.

Reactions: DFF

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Chris Tanev was a late bloomer and had strong numbers in college. Even the best defensive dmen generally produce well at lower levels. If you go your entire D +1 season without a single point in 25 games, your odds at the nhl are probably 0.

Univ. of Notre Dame at eliteprospects.com

Looking at this, I wonder if it's mostly due to usage.

https://und.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Season-Combined-Stats.pdf

He has a total of 9 shots on net (by far the least on on the team) in 19 outings and is an even +/- . I wonder if he's basically bottom pairing sheltered and learning system this year. He did join the NCAA part way through the season (19 of 27 games).

I get where you're coming from though. I too am not totally convinced at this pick. This could end up being an NHL calibre player between Fantenberg to Tanev or a complete bust. Boltmann is also definitely a project vs a regular boom/bust track development player. I think the expectation is that he will take longer to develop, even as a dman.

With Kuznetsov and Boltmann, somehow the scouts really wanted to target some super young and raw defensive dmen for that draft to shore up our defensive pool.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

He had strong numbers playing Div III college, that production would be non-existent playing Div I hockey. He would then immediately jump to the AHL with 29 games in the NHL the next season, producing only one point in the NHL. Chris Tanev is a very weird case, but he also proves being great at defense will make a team not care about offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Just because dude has zero point, it’s not automatically he is good at defense. It just means he sucks at offense. There is a good chance he sucks at both as nobody else is praising/ranking him high.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Just because dude has zero point, it’s not automatically he is good at defense. It just means he sucks at offense. There is a good chance he sucks at both as nobody else is praising/ranking him high.

He has 9 shots over 19 games. During this period there were a few blow outs and the team outscored the opposition by like 1 goal. I can't see the info anywhere, but I'm guessing Boltmann is getting bottom pairing and limited minutes.

He is 1 of 6 freshmen on the roster and the only other freshman dman is Zach Plucinski (age 20) who in 20 games has 1 goal out of 28 shots. Boltmann is 19 and is younger than the other freshman. I wouldn't be surprised if all the other guys are vets and the ones getting the ice time while Boltmann is getting limited usage.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So... did this guy do something spectacular recently? Is that why we're talking about a guy that was drafted 80th 9 months ago and should have gone 180th?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
All it takes is one scout to fall in love with the guy and go to bat for him. Definitely a reach though

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy-tumblr.gif

bartolo-colon.gif

AmbitiousKlutzyAchillestang-size_restricted.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So... did this guy do something spectacular recently? Is that why we're talking about a guy that was drafted 80th 9 months ago and should have gone 180th?

Turning on the hype thrusters for 19 year old Jake Boltmann.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Well his team, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, have made it into the NCAA tournament this year. And they will have an uphill battle.

The Irish finished with a 14-12-2 record and their first opponent will be the top seeded 16-4-1 Boston College Eagles this Saturday. I think it will be on ESPN. Not sure if TSN will pick it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad