Value of: Jake Bean

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Maybe they move him if they are in a good position for the playoffs. In a package for a good young player signed long term or still RFA.
I can't see what would be the incentive to move him for another prospect. They picked him 2 years ago in the first round...

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
The minimum, absolute-full-***-minimum, which I could see the Canes moving him for alone...just to answer the "value of" question...is a lottery pick expected to be top-10 or equivalent value to that.

He was drafted at #13 as an expected long-term-project pick and things have progressed from there about as well as expected. His value certainly has not fallen since being drafted and you'd also be compensating the Canes for all that development work, now that he's within a year or so of being NHL-ready.

Last edited:

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
I think he’s got pretty good value and have always liked him.

Maatta+Sprong for Skinner+Bean

What says Carolina fans?
No way does that get you skinner and bean. Skinner is much better than maata and bean way better prospect than sprong. Sprong is a B prospect (even if he is the pens best) and maata is a decent/good dman.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
No way does that get you skinner and bean. Skinner is much better than maata and bean way better prospect than sprong. Sprong is a B prospect (even if he is the pens best) and maata is a decent/good dman.

You don’t even need to consider the value of this proposal to know it’s terrible. He didn’t account for our needs at all.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why does Carolina sell low on Bean? Its not like he has regressed from getting drafted 2 years ago. Defenseman generally take a while to make it to the NHL.
Bean has a skill set that the other D don’t really have aside from Faulk whom they want to move. So, doesn’t make sense to move him for a similar prospect unless it’s for a C.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Not picking on you.

But every proposal, 1st real post from team is "player x is only available for a massive overpayment"

If this were true all trades would be massive wins and loses for teams. Reality ate most are pretty even

Yes but that's for players who it would make any sense at all to move outside of an overpayment. We're assuming someone is calling Carolina here interested in Bean, why would they sell low on a guy they picked 13th overall and have the luxury of slowly developing in the AHL for as many as 3 or 4 seasons?

It's absolutely bonkers how if a guy isn't in the NHL by 20 people seem to think he can be had for a mid round pick, look at the Kapanen thread with people being dead serious that he is "maybe worth a 3rd" for another example

Reactions: DaveG

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Yes but that's for players who it would make any sense at all to move outside of an overpayment. We're assuming someone is calling Carolina here interested in Bean, why would they sell low on a guy they picked 13th overall and have the luxury of slowly developing in the AHL for as many as 3 or 4 seasons?

It's absolutely bonkers how if a guy isn't in the NHL by 20 people seem to think he can be had for a mid round pick, look at the Kapanen thread with people being dead serious that he is "maybe worth a 3rd" for another example
I got alloy of response to that.
Don't disagree with the general sentiment.
But Bean is behind Slavin, De Haan, Fleury right now and Carrick had a good AHL stint.

The massive majority of people who write about or talk about Carolina have them moving someone from the back end to improve their front end.

Not saying he is the one, but saying massive overpayment IMO is still not the right way to look at it.

Players have value which usually takes into account where they play in your lineup, who can replace them, and where their potential might get them.

I am more frustrated with literally every proposal for a prospect, young guy or veteran starting with "needs an ocerpayment" I.e. I know everyone wants this dollar bill but we have had him for a long time. 10 quarters or no deal.

Every player can't need an overpayment or no trades would ever happen.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Does Carolina have any reason to trade Bean for fair value? no, thus the overpayment. Trades happen, and are usually more or less even like you said, because teams have reasons to trade players: TDL, UFA's to be, older players to make room for prospects etc.

Or they are dealing from an area of strength to fix an area of weakness. Carolina has a pretty good, deep, and young D core. If they feel that they can improve the quality of their forwards today, they may consider dealing Bean.

As much as HFB wants to deem a clear winner in all trades, most that don't involve salary dumps are pretty even. Sure, some backfire over time, but most are pretty even when they are made. There are very few "massive overpayments".

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I got alloy of response to that.
Don't disagree with the general sentiment.
But Bean is behind Slavin, De Haan, Fleury right now and Carrick had a good AHL stint.

The massive majority of people who write about or talk about Carolina have them moving someone from the back end to improve their front end.

Not saying he is the one, but saying massive overpayment IMO is still not the right way to look at it.

Players have value which usually takes into account where they play in your lineup, who can replace them, and where their potential might get them.

I am more frustrated with literally every proposal for a prospect, young guy or veteran starting with "needs an ocerpayment" I.e. I know everyone wants this dollar bill but we have had him for a long time. 10 quarters or no deal.

Every player can't need an overpayment or no trades would ever happen.

I'm not saying massive overpayment but Bean alone doesn't have the value to return what Carolina needs so it's more likely he'll be in a package, if not then they wouldn't move him unless someone offers a lot

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think we keep Bean, wait for the Seattle expansion and expose either CDH or Fluery, and then Bean replaces them.
That makes some sense.
I wondered why there is no consideration to move Fleury (before your expansion post)? With Slavin and Da Haan taking up the left side for the next 3-4yrs., isn't H.F. somewhat wasted as a better talent?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
That makes some sense.
I wondered why there is no consideration to move Fleury (before your expansion post)? With Slavin and Da Haan taking up the left side for the next 3-4yrs., isn't H.F. somewhat wasted as a better talent?

He’s still cheap on the ELC and a bridge contract would keep him cheap, besides, that’s a deep defense.

Reactions: Smitty426

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Do you have a spare potential 1C you're looking to take a 1st, Bean+ package for?

How about an experienced under-30 top-15 in NHL starting goalie you'd part with for Beaner?

I didn't think so.
Hahahaha when Jake Bean is worth a potential 1C. That’s embarrassing

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Because it definitely wouldn’t be possible to add Bean as a sweetener to a hockey trade to fill an actual organizational need.

Clearly the Canes only option is to accept a handful of lesser pieces from Toronto.
Only Toronto is allowed to offer package deals, apparently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad