Value of: Jake Bean

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
I don’t think Carolina is willing to trade him unless it is a big overpayment. So I would say a 1st is a starting point if a team wants to trade for him. Not saying that he is necessarily worth that much at this point, but Carolina has no reason to trade him for what you suggested.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Guys like Bean are money for teams like the Canes.
They can develop and have him a tad sheltered on the 3rd pairing, and perhaps move him for some forward help when he has more value. Like we did with Vatanen.
And im just guessing here but a 1st is a starter for him if he were to be moved

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I don’t think Carolina is willing to trade him unless it is a big overpayment. So I would say a 1st is a starting point if a team wants to trade for him. Not saying that he is necessarily worth that much at this point, but Carolina has no reason to trade him for what you suggested.

Not picking on you.

But every proposal, 1st real post from team is "player x is only available for a massive overpayment"

If this were true all trades would be massive wins and loses for teams. Reality ate most are pretty even

Reactions: Halla and Groo

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Not picking on you.

But every proposal, 1st real post from team is "player x is only available for a massive overpayment"

If this were true all trades would be massive wins and loses for teams. Reality ate most are pretty even

Does Carolina have any reason to trade Bean for fair value? no, thus the overpayment. Trades happen, and are usually more or less even like you said, because teams have reasons to trade players: TDL, UFA's to be, older players to make room for prospects etc.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Not picking on you.

You have to explain WHY one of Carolina's top youngsters, in the cheap yrs of his,career, is available.

And the main reason cannot be " well my team needs him".
Are they stacked at his position with more promising players? A contract impasse?Canes filling a roster need by moving him?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Unless Waddell and co. are bearish on him and want to cash out before the rest of the league catches on a la Reinhart (not expected), I don't see him being available except for an equivalent prospect/young player at a different position or as a piece in a trade for a quality NHL player that improves the team. I think that logic applies for any team in a similar spot, regardless of competitiveness or organizational makeup. Why take an L so soon after drafting the player?

Carolina has drafted in the Top 100 23 times since 2014 and has added Saarela, McKeown, Zykov and Fox via trade. Faulk and Skinner, in particular, may return futures. Non-elite picks and prospects aren't a priority.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I don't know if you'll could read "Value Of:" not Proposal.. Asking what would it cost for him? If one or one id say Fleury, or Juulsen. Now don't go shitting on everyone thinking its a proposal, I didn't mention Carolina wanting to get rid of him... Jesus Christ

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
I don't know if you'll could read "Value Of:" not Proposal.. Asking what would it cost for him? If one or one id say Fleury, or Juulsen. Now don't go ****ting on everyone thinking its a proposal, I didn't mention Carolina wanting to get rid of him... Jesus Christ

Well but you said what it would cost to get him, not what his fair value is. And what most of us here are saying is that because Carolina does not have any reason to trade him for his fair value, the cost of getting him would be an overpayment.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Canes are about 15-20 really solid prospects deep right now, likely up there as the most deep pool in the NHL. Trading one of our high end prospects and downgrading him into 2 lesser end prospects would not be good for us right now, we are plenty deep already.

The only move I’d imagine seeing Bean in right now is if the Canes create a package that would bring in a goalie or acquire a top end C that may become available via trade.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The ask could very well be Domi or Drouin or even Gallagher, with an add(s) to Bean in each case.

The problem is that mentioning those names will trigger certain fans and start the retaliatory bashing. Discussing just his availability makes for a less emotional and more diplomatic discussion.

Reactions: Unsustainable

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Typing "overpayment" in this forum should just automatically ban you. Yes I know I'd now be banned and it would be worth it to not see every one of these already unproductive threads ruined even further by bullshit.

Reactions: Samkow

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
We're in no hurry to trade him, management's happy with his development to date, he nearly made the team out of camp as a 19 year old, and he's good depth to have around until the Seattle expansion draft happens since, assuming that's in the next 2 years, he'll be exempt. So yeah DEFINITELY not getting him for anything less then equivalent value of what he was drafted for (hint: that's certainly not B+ prospect, or 2nd, or even late 1st... it's top 15 pick).

More then likely he's traded with another piece to upgrade a position of need for the Canes considering the depth of our prospect pool. Think something around Bean and Rask for an upgrade at Center, or Bean and a mid-round pick for a top 20 type goalie.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I think he’s got pretty good value and have always liked him.

Maatta+Sprong for Skinner+Bean

What says Carolina fans?

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
given where he is in his development and the defense corps the Canes currently have in the NHL, he's slated for a full AHL season at this point, where he'll have a good chance to give a peek into his future value as a prospect.

so most likely he's not getting traded at all. except as a piece in a package deal for an established NHLer. you'd have to really get Carolina's attention with a great deal in order to change that trajectory. paying retail on his "value" at this time doesn't really motivate them to trade.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

What says Carolina fans?

This is a very easy no for Carolina and I’m not even going to get into value.

We don’t need defensemen. We have a top 3 defense in the league and currently have a surplus as it is. The main piece in a Skinner trade cannot be a defenseman.

It blows my mind that every day fans are trying to trade us more defense.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

What says Carolina fans?

This is horrible.

It helps to try to consider another team's need in trade proposals. I'm not sure how many times it's been said on these boards, but CAR needs a top 6 C and/or decent G prospects/a proven starter. The absolute last thing CAR needs is another defenseman.

Reactions: Unsustainable

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So I was wondering what would be the cost of this guy? In guessing a B+ prospect and maybe a 2nd? Or late first? What are your thoughts?

Bean is a very recent 13OA pick who by all accounts is progressing nicely. It was known he needed a few years seasoning before being NHL ready, and that's exactly what he'll be getting next year as his first year in the AHL.

Why on earth would CAR trade a high end D prospect for a B prospect and a 2nd? Talk about 1 step forward 2 steps back. Bean would be available in a potential package for a top 6 forward or 1-1 for a fwd prospect that meets his own upside potential. It would be beyond ludicrous to trade him now for...wait for it...magic beans....

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Does Carolina have any reason to trade Bean for fair value? no, thus the overpayment. Trades happen, and are usually more or less even like you said, because teams have reasons to trade players: TDL, UFA's to be, older players to make room for prospects etc.
Only on HF with all its JR GM's

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Example of what Carolina is looking at: Bean, Gauthier, Rask for Duchene.

OTT sell and get a young replacement center and 2 recent 1sts for Duchene, Carolina gets a center. ***This is not taking Otts needs into acct b/c I don't know what they are. Just making an example of what Carolina would hope to accomplish in a Bean trade.

Or: Bean for Malcom Subban + 3rd // Bean for Illya Samsonov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad