Jake and Jared make the team!

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Virtanen literally hasn't proven he can score goals as a pro hockey player yet. Zero in 19 games so far. Virtanen, to me, is a bust at 6th OA, but Mccann is a solid pick. Sending them back isn't going to make much difference.

As a bored and depressed fan of the team it's something different, at least.

Haven't ever seen a player 'bust' at 19 before, unless they walk away from the game.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
More than 9 games you burn a year off their entry level deal.

40 games and the team loses a year of free agency control. I.e. They become unrestricted a year earlier.

At least that is what I believe.

Hmmm... I always assumed thats what burning a year off of your ELC inevitably meant.

I guess I've never really heard of that before.... because how often do you hear of a GM sending a guy down after 40 games? No GM really makes decisions on what might happen 6-7 years down the road when they know their shelf life might (will most likely) be expired by then... do they? Benning must know that he doesn't have that long of a leash.

Makes me think of what a nightmare of re-ups Edmonton is going to have to go through eventually. Going to be a log jam down the road if they don't start managing their assets.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Huh, looks like Jake may just be finding his NHL game tonight. Looked much more aggressive with the puck, like he was done making the 'safe' plays and trusting his speed, power, and shot like he did in his draft year. Obviously he won't play that way every night but man, that was an exciting glimpse into what he can bring at this level. Beastly performance tonight. Let's see more of that in the months to come.
Yeah, Virtanen's a strange one-- when he works on the little things in his game, you just kind of go "yeah... he's not ready-- I'm not sure how he's going to figure this game out without even the fundamentals down.... but then you watch a game like this and you're like "Whoa... okay maybe he has enough speed, power, and tenacity that it doesn't really even matter-- he can be a very positive on and off gamebreaker without it."

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
These are my favourite videos. It really shows the character of this team. Glad to see Burrows being a true Canuck and Horvat taking on a huge leadership role.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hmmm... I always assumed thats what burning a year off of your ELC inevitably meant.

I guess I've never really heard of that before.... because how often do you hear of a GM sending a guy down after 40 games? No GM really makes decisions on what might happen 6-7 years down the road when they know their shelf life might (will most likely) be expired by then... do they? Benning must know that he doesn't have that long of a leash.

Makes me think of what a nightmare of re-ups Edmonton is going to have to go through eventually. Going to be a log jam down the road if they don't start managing their assets.

The only case that I know of is Edm burning an ELC yr of Draisaitl last yr keeping him past 9, but sending him down after like 37 to save the additional RFA yr.

Otherwise, off the top of head I can't recall others sent down before 39... But I'm sure there are plenty.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

I think I'm correct as free agent status is based on years played since drafted. They don't consider 9 games a year played hence the 40 games (or whatever it is). It might even be done be days on a pro roster or something. I'd have to care enough to read the CBA again ;)

Subsequent poster provided the Draisatl example.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What becomes of Higgins?

What becomes of Higgins?

Now that McCann and Virtanen are officially here to stay, what becomes of Higgins?

Is it possible to keep Higgins, or will there be cap ramifications? (I'm pretty sure it's the latter but am not exactly sure as to what this entails).

If Benning and company want to keep Higgins, then what becomes of Sven Baertschi? Does Baerstchi become the odd man out?

My personal feeling is this: Baertschi has some significant work to do, but he'll get there eventually. The talent is definitely there, and I've already seen Sven do some incredible things. I see Sven being a late bloomer and for that reason, I'd rather keep Sven and more old man Higgy.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I had a little disagreement with my Dad today about wether or not they should go to the Jr's.

Of course it will have to depend on many things... injuries, how many minutes they're contributing at the time, where we are in the standings, how possible replacements deserve a call up fom the farm based on performance (Shink, Jensen ect...)

My stance is if you can get them there with as little risk possible of hurting the team you do it. Papa Punch Clock says they're in the NHL now, keep 'em there.

I'm with papa. Even if it is the WJC the QoC is still a huge step down, especially when you are playing for Canada. Only way I send them is if they need a boost in ice time or confidence. Guess if McCann came to me and asked for the opportunity to play for his country I'd consider it seeing as he hasn't made the team previously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad