Jake and Jared make the team!

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Since people are posting in both kids thread I thought it would be easier to Make one thread...

@VanCanucks: In a video meeting this morning, coach Desjardins played bad clips of Virtanen and McCann. A lot of them. Then Horvat stood up and said

@VanCanucks: "WELCOME TO THE TEAM BOYS!!"

It's official: @Jake_Virtanen & @jaredmccann19 are #Canucks. https://t.co/HGxZFmp5FQ

@VanCanucks: "They were ripping me so hard, I almost started to cry. Then Horvat said we made the team. It was a special moment" - McCann #Canucks

@VanCanucks: "All the guys were yelling at us, Burr was giving it to us good. We went from feeling low to great in a second!" - Virtanen #Canucks

@VanCanucks: "It was baaaaaad, they were getting carved. I was like 'they are so gone'" - Markstrom, laughing. #Canucks

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
We've ruined them! Now they're being rushed into the NHL!!!!

Am I doing this right?

-----

But truly, congrats to the both of them!

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Still don't think Virtanen deserves it, but I guess they think he'll develop better here rather then in Calgary, let's hope they're right.

The Jesus*

I would rather Jake get sent down, but I can't complain here. This is the direction our team needs to go.

Welcome to the team boys!!!

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
A bit surprised about Virtanen, but he's shown promise. Points will come for him.

Is there a video of the 'welcome to the NHL' like Horvat's last year?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
We just need one top 3 pick and this transition is complete. Canucks have a good group of Toby players in the league now with McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, and Hutton.

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
I wonder if the team is open to the idea of sending them down later in the season should things go that way. It's definitely hard to send McCann down the way he's been producing but I still think the concerns about the grind of the season are legitimate.

I also thought it would be good for Virtanen to develop his offense a bit more in junior.

The Jesus*

Management has made their decision. I hope Willie stops trying to fight them now. I supported his decision into trying to coax them into giving him a more veteran team, but they chose a different direction. Honor that and play the damn kids.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
So last year they show Bo a good clip and a bad clip...this year they show Mccann and Virtanen all bad clips...man, if a prospect ever gets shown only good clips he's gonna know he's getting sent down, lol. "Here's all the good stuff you did, kid. Now get back to junior."

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I wonder if the team is open to the idea of sending them down later in the season should things go that way. It's definitely hard to send McCann down the way he's been producing but I still think the concerns about the grind of the season are legitimate.

I also thought it would be good for Virtanen to develop his offense a bit more in junior.

They'll be reassessed close to Christmas and the world juniors.

First, it is a chance to play in the world juniors.

Second, it is right before the next significant game mark for them. At Christmas the team will have played 36 games. At 40 games played by a rookie, they burn a year towards UFA eligibility.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
great to see that we are pushing through with the youth movement. Virtanen may not have been ready but I don't see a reason to complain at all, it will be a good experience for him this season if he is utilized effectively. McCann is ready. I look forward to great things from him this season.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Virtanen should have been sent back- his offensive game will not develop in his current role with the team

As long as he's laying out hits, he's earning his keep. He isn't getting pushed around out there and the offense will come. He has a wicked shot, he just needs some chances.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Wonder what this means when Higgins comes back

horvats did.

Horvat's offensive game was better and more pro ready

As long as he's laying out hits, he's earning his keep. He isn't getting pushed around out there and the offense will come. He has a wicked shot, he just needs some chances.

He has to start creating chances. Brandon Sutter sure as hell isnt setting him up for any.

The Jesus*

horvats did.

I think the plan is to try to turn Virtanen into a power forward anyways. He won't learn that in juniors where he can just blow by defenders wide. In the NHL, he's gonna learn to battle on the boards. Use his size and strength to protect the puck, and he'll be instructed to take the puck to the net hard.

If that's the plan, keeping him in the NHL is the right move. He won't learn that kind of game in juniors. It'll mean his development will go a lot slower than some people hope for, but I'm ok with it in the long run if it pans out and he can become a Bertuzzi'ish player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad