Jake Allen

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I don't think the point is that he should have stopped all of these, but he could have stopped some. And if he had made even 1 more save in regulation we would have won last night.

Not every skater scores on a breakaway. Towes got a couple easy goals bc Allen overcommitted. When he is at his best he makes himself big, plays calm, takes away angles, allowing him often to make saves on shots that he is screened or doesn't have time to react. That is not the way he played last 2 games. Teams draw confidence from the goalie when he makes the saves they expect and a handful of ones they don't. And when he plays like Shakey Jakey it goes the other way. He has been up long enough we shouldn't be making excuses or lower expectations. He isn't a very good starting goalie and we can't count on him. Again. I'd like to see us ride Johnson and see what he can do. And hopefully Husso will be ready before it is too late.
Again, I find this fascinating. So instead of "we're playing bad defensively" it's "we're playing bad defensively because of Allen." Just play strong defense all the time...

We excuse team defense by blaming Allen. In these two games, I just don't see how you can draw the conclusion that we can't count of Allen. All I've learned these two games is so far we can't count of our defense to prevent prime time scoring chances against.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Again, I find this fascinating. So instead of "the defense is playing badly," it's "the defense is playing badly because of Allen." Just play strong defense all the time...
Defense played poorly last night. I agree. Worst game Petro has played in quite a while. Those are games when you need goalie to bail you out and he didn't. If our solution to poor goaltending is that we can't ever give up a scoring chance, maybe we should look to improve goalie?

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
The bolded is factually incorrect. Jake was in the center of his net as the shot was being taken. He then slid to his left to make the save because the puck was going to his left before being deflected TWICE. Also, Allen never touched the puck in that sequence.

He slid too far to the left putting him out of position for a potential deflection. Allen did touch the puck in that sequence.

Also, if that's the only point you're going to make about my whole post that should tell you everything. All anyone talked about before the season started was Allen needed to be better, he hasn't been.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Defense played poorly last night. I agree. Worst game Petro has played in quite a while. Those are games when you need goalie to bail you out and he didn't. If our solution to poor goaltending is that we can't ever give up a scoring chance, maybe we should look to improve goalie?
He saved a bunch of scoring chances though? Goals 2, 3 and 5 were all more than just scoring chances, those were high danger scoring chances. If our solution to poor team defense is that we must rely on our goalie to stop 3-4 prime time scoring chances on the opposition's best players, maybe we should look to improve our team defense?

Last edited:

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
He slid too far to the left putting him out of position for a potential deflection. Allen did touch the puck in that sequence.

Also, if that's the only point you're going to make about my whole post that should tell you everything. All anyone talked about before the season started was Allen needed to be better, he hasn't been.
I was just pointing out the factual inaccuracies, I can go over the opinion portion if you like? The point is that you agree that 3 of those goals Allen has no chance, and the other 2 are debatable whether or not Allen is expected to save them. The first one we could debate, but goal 4 you can't expect any goalie to stop a puck that gets deflected twice on its way to the net, stopped by a forward's skate, and then shot by one of their best forwards on a turnaround shot directly in the middle of the slot. It's hard to stop a shot in the middle of the slot period, but in this sequence it was deflected twice on its way to the slot.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He saved a bunch of scoring chances though? Goals 2, 3 and 5 were all more than just scoring chances, those were high danger scoring chances. If our solution to poor team defense is that we must rely on our goalie to stop 3-4 prime time scoring chances to the opposition's best players, maybe we should look to improve our team defense?
I agree that our defense needs to be better. Especially Petro. That doesn't excuse Allen not playing well. Seemed like Chicago scored on ALL their quality scoring chances. The first goal I have no idea why he moved out of way so Toews could easily score. Kane's shot was excellent and would have been tough, but again if he is playing big and at top of crease maybe he has a chance. Kruger goal was impossible to stop bc he kicked rebound right to Chicago player. I didn't think he made himself big enough on 2nd Toews goal. And breakaways are obviously tough but not 100% goals. This isn't little league. They don't give participation trophies in NHL. Good starting goalies make saves on shots that are really hard to stop and only rarely let in easy ones. Allen has his moments, but too few of them. And last night isn't one of those games he is gonna wanna put in his resume.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I was just pointing out the factual inaccuracies, I can go over the opinion portion if you like? The point is that you agree that 3 of those goals Allen has no chance, and the other 2 are debatable whether or not Allen is expected to save them. The first one we could debate, but goal 4 you can't expect any goalie to stop a puck that gets deflected twice on its way to the net, stopped by a forward's skate, and then shot by one of their best forwards on a turnaround shot directly in the middle of the slot. It's hard to stop a shot in the middle of the slot period, but in this sequence it was deflected twice on its way to the slot.

I don't agree the other 3 Allen had no chance. He COULD have made saves on them. Maybe he should have expected a potential deflection and not slid so far to his left? If he had stayed in the center of the net it goes right to him or even if he just slides a little bit it doesn't completely put him out of position like it did.

Jake Allen doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. It's up to him to up his game and if he can't do it, someone else hopefully can. He needs to make these saves if he wants to keep his job and 10 goals in two games isn't doing that. It's not like he's faced 100 shots in these 2 games, he's faced under 50. Posting a .818 SV%. That's pathetic.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
No matter how much he’s been hung out to dry a sub 900 save percentage isn’t good enough. It is incredibly frustrating seeing Husso post shutouts in preseason and the AHL and Jake can’t even post a win.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'm not saying Allen has been great, I'm debating this idea that we overlook defensive mistakes and sometimes even the context altogether and jump to

Giving up 5 goals in the first 2 opening games of the season on a stacked roster isn't a good start. Doug should already be on the phone right now looking for something.

That's what sparked all this. Do you guys honestly believe Allen has been worse than our team defense? It would be another discussion if we were playing well defensively and we still gave up 10 goals in 2 games. That, however, is not the case.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Here is my take. There are things I don’t like about Jakes game. I could go into detail abou that. For now I won’t. But until our team defense improves, there isn’t a goalie good enough in the league to steal us enough games to put together a winning team at this clip of play.

It’s only two games in. So, who know what any of this means long term.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Here is my take. There are things I don’t like about Jakes game. I could go into detail abou that. For now I won’t. But until our team defense improves, there isn’t a goalie good enough in the league to steal us enough games to put together a winning team at this clip of play.

Exactly, especially in the Jets game. We took advantage of Chicago's poor defense and goaltending to score 4 goals, but not all teams are going to be like that.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

As bad as our D was at times in last game, one more save in Chicago game and we had a win. Top goalies bail you out when defense breaks down. Ours didn't.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
As bad as our D was at times in last game, one more save in Chicago game and we had a win. Top goalies bail you out when defense breaks down. Ours didn't.
The point I'm trying to make here is that you can switch this statement completely around and it still works, yet we default to blaming Allen.

As bad as our goalie was at times in last game, one more high danger scoring chance prevented in Chicago game and we had a win. Top defenses bail you out when your goalie breaks down. Ours didn't.

The difference is that our defense is actually a top defense, whereas I don't think anyone is going to argue that Allen is a top goalie.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
He saved a bunch of scoring chances though? Goals 2, 3 and 5 were all more than just scoring chances, those were high danger scoring chances. If our solution to poor team defense is that we must rely on our goalie to stop 3-4 prime time scoring chances on the opposition's best players, maybe we should look to improve our team defense?
Even the very best defensive teams usually give up about 7 high danger scoring chances a game on average at 5v5. The worst teams give up 10+ on average, and an average team gives up about 8.5. Last year the Blues were a top 5 team in that category (fewest HDSC against).

The best goalies any given year are stopping about 85% of those, with 80% being about average among starters, so an average goalie behind and average defense is giving up about 1.5 goals a game at 5v5, on average. Last year Allen was at 80.7%.

The Blues have given up 20 HDSC at 5v5 so far in their first two games. That's not good, but it's not "we should have given up 10 goals in those two games" bad, either. Allen has let in 6 of those 20 shots for a 70% save percentage.

Four goalies have faced more 5v5 HDSC against than Allen so far this year. Markstrom (26), Gibson (26), Holtby (24), and C. Anderson (21). They've let in 2 (92% save percentage), 0 (100%), 1 (96%), and 0 (100%) goals on those shots, respectively.

In fact, the only goalies in the league who have given up more than two 5v5 HDSC goals are Murray (7), Allen (6), Smith (5), F. Anderson (4), and Raanta (3).

The Blues are definitely not operating at their peak defensive efficiency, but it's also undeniable that Allen is not performing as well as he should be in that area, nor as well as his peers that are under even worse duress. Neither problem should be an excuse for the other.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The point I'm trying to make here is that you can switch this statement completely around and it still works, yet we default to blaming Allen.

As bad as our goalie was at times in last game, one more high danger scoring chance prevented in Chicago game and we had a win. Top defenses bail you out when your goalie breaks down. Ours didn't.

The difference is that our defense is actually a top defense, whereas I don't think anyone is going to argue that Allen is a top goalie.
Bingo. We have had a top defense for last few years. They played poorly for game or 2, hence we expect that they will rebound. Allen has been super inconsistent and unreliable for several years. Hence I want a better goalie.

To be even more specific, Petro is one of top 10 defensmen in league. He had a crappy game against Chicago. We can complain about that, but reason we don't scream that loudly is I think we all expect that was aberration and he will be fine. I wasn't trying to say we lost solely because of Allen. Or even mostly. But he didn't play well and goaltending is a problem that- unlike our D- I don't have reasonable expectation that it will improve without making a change.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Even the very best defensive teams usually give up about 7 high danger scoring chances a game on average at 5v5. The worst teams give up 10+ on average, and an average team gives up about 8.5. Last year the Blues were a top 5 team in that category (fewest HDSC against).

The best goalies any given year are stopping about 85% of those, with 80% being about average among starters, so an average goalie behind and average defense is giving up about 1.5 goals a game at 5v5, on average. Last year Allen was at 80.7%.

The Blues have given up 20 HDSC at 5v5 so far in their first two games. That's not good, but it's not "we should have given up 10 goals in those two games" bad, either. Allen has let in 6 of those 20 shots for a 70% save percentage.

Four goalies have faced more 5v5 HDSC against than Allen so far this year. Markstrom (26), Gibson (26), Holtby (24), and Anderson (21). They've let in 2 (92% save percentage), 0 (100%), 1 (96%), and 0 (100%) goals on those shots, respectively.

In fact, the only goalies in the league who have given up more than two 5v5 HDSC goals are Murray (7), Allen (6), Smith (5), Anderson (4), and Raanta (3).

The Blues are definitely not operating at their peak defensive efficiency, but it's also undeniable that Allen is not performing as well as he should be in that area, nor as well as his peers that are under even worse duress. Neither problem should be an excuse for the other.
Completely agree with everything here. Allen has been bad, so has the defense. I've stated that these are both problems. In no way am I trying to excuse Allen by bringing up the defensive woes, Allen hasn't been great. My point is that that initial post was brushing the team's defense aside and jumping to "let's trade Allen because he's given up 10 goals." If Allen was playing well, maybe that number would instead be 7-8 goals in two games. That's still not good.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I could buy that if we weren’t hanging our goalie out to dry at this high a rate.

There are also a few saves that our goalie bailed out this team throughout these past two games. How many bailout saves per game should we expect our goalies to make?

Reactions: HighNote

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Bingo. We have had a top defense for last few years. They played poorly for game or 2, hence we expect that they will rebound. Allen has been super inconsistent and unreliable for several years. Hence I want a better goalie.

To be even more specific, Petro is one of top 10 defensmen in league. He had a crappy game against Chicago. We can complain about that, but reason we don't scream that loudly is I think we all expect that was aberration and he will be fine. I wasn't trying to say we lost solely because of Allen. Or even mostly. But he didn't play well and goaltending is a problem that- unlike our D- I don't have reasonable expectation that it will improve without making a change.
Alright cool. That's fine, but go back and read the initial comment I quoted compared to yours. I'm fine with your line of thinking here.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I think Easton’s post settles any debate in this thread with facts. Clearly the defense/five man unit is playing below the level of expectations, but additionally Allen is playing below average in comparison to his peers. They’re both a problem and both need fixed. One is probably easier than the other. I’ll let you decide that.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
So much this.

The fact is that Allen has only faced 55 shots in 123 minutes or less than 27 per 60. If Easton’s HD figures are accurate, he has a .700 SP (14/20) on the high danger shots, but also only a .885 SP on low and mid danger shots (31/35). I’m not sure what the league average is typically on these shots, but it has to be around .930 I would think.

The defense in front of Allen absolutely needs to be better, but it would be disingenuous for anyone to suggest that he has been in a shooting gallery these first two games because the volume and nature of the shots he has faced does not support that explanation. If he saves just one more high danger and one more low to mid danger shot per game it doesn’t change the outcome of the opener, but it gets us one more point last night and denies the Hawks two. That could be a huge deal at the end of the season.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Four goalies have faced more 5v5 HDSC against than Allen so far this year. Markstrom (26), Gibson (26), Holtby (24), and C. Anderson (21). They've let in 2 (92% save percentage), 0 (100%), 1 (96%), and 0 (100%) goals on those shots, respectively.

In fact, the only goalies in the league who have given up more than two 5v5 HDSC goals are Murray (7), Allen (6), Smith (5), F. Anderson (4), and Raanta (3).

I agree that neither should excuse the other. But until we get to a 7 HDSC per game it won’t matter who is in net. The D should be easier to fix with coaching, assuming Yeo is capable of making smart decisions like not playing any version of man on man. Goalie will be harder unless Husso or Johnson can bring a good enough game. Maybe they can. I would be good to let Husso start as soon as next week.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
So, when Jake gives up 5 goals and we only score 1 people say " You can't win if you don't score ". When Jake gives up 5 goals and we score 4, it's " our defense is playing like trash ". When will the defenders finally give up defending the garbage goalie?

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
So, when Jake gives up 5 goals and we only score 1 people say " You can't win if you don't score ". When Jake gives up 5 goals and we score 4, it's " our defense is playing like trash ". When will the defenders finally give up defending the garbage goalie?
Our defense was bad both games. I thought our offense was actually doing really well against the Jets despite only scoring once. We hit several posts and Hellebuyck stood on his head, we could have easily scored 3-4.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Jake isn't an elite goalie. The problem is most of this fanbase always wants to blame the goalie. He kept them in the game for a long time. They played horrible defense all night long. Passes to Hawks players in front of the crease, unforced turnovers from errant passes, and no one but Blais and Maroon were hitting people. Chicago has to be knocked off of the puck. If you want to let them run the crossing pattern all night and block our man on man defense they will do it; and they did.

Reactions: mk80

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad