Jake Allen for playoff goalie campaign (Mod warning Post #259, Copied to OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
If Allen shuts out Chicago tomorrow, this thread is going to explode.

It certainly would make things interesting. I'm certainly one of the most vocal Elliott supporters but I'm a Blues fan before an Elliott fan and I want what's best for the team. You will still not be able to convince me that Allen is a better goalie than Elliott right now, but sometimes if you can catch lightning in a bottle, you need to capitalize. I'm still much more comfortable with Elliott as playoff starter though.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I was going to start another thread but decided we didn't need 3 goalie threads at one time so I'll just ask it here.

Is it possible for the last 4 games of the year to change your opinion on who should start in the playoffs?

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
I was going to start another thread but decided we didn't need 3 goalie threads at one time so I'll just ask it here.

Is it possible for the last 4 games of the year to change your opinion on who should start in the playoffs?

It seems like it would be hasty or knee-jerk to do so, but with the Blues' situation I'm not so sure. I want them to split the remaining Hawks games just to see who's the more confident goalie.

I feel like Allen is more confident and fearless but needs time to develop fundamentally, whereas Ells is generally more sound positionally but has a lot going on between the ears.

If Elliott finishes strong and seems confident you have to committ to him imo.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

for me it would take a combination of a collapse by Elliott and a huge surge by Allen. I don't think 4 games is enough for either of those things to happen

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

No, Allen's collapse earlier this season is all I need. Him and Brodeur couldn't stop a beach ball. He's a great goalie but going into the POs with him will just be a disaster.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Glad to see Hitch is doing the right thing

Allen wins/steals this game and he will play in Game 1

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
If Allen shuts out Chicago tomorrow, this thread is going to explode.

he will, allen is gonna take this team on a deep run if he continues his recent play. with the offense scoring 11 goals in the past 2 games, could be time for the blues to break thru @ the united center finally

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
even JR is supporting my Allen for PO goalie train :5:

"Allen does have the better numbers lately. He is 3-0-2 in his last five decisions, and in his last three starts, he has allowed just five goals on 97 shots for a .948 save-percentage. Elliott is 1-3-1 in his last five decisions, and in that span, he has allowed 16 goals on 119 shots for an .866 save-percentage. His win came Friday in Dallas while allowing five goals on 32 shots."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...9-b929-7314cfd90844.html#.VSBIxjQODKc.twitter

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
TheDizee, same question.

Anything that can happen in the next 4 games to make you believe that Brian Elliott should be the starter?

yeah if he gets on one of his shutout streaks he has had before but ive seen enough of his play over the past 3 years. elliott is what he is, a backup goalie thrown into a starter job who goes into meltdown mode after 1 or 2 weak goals.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

Only if the Blues play a terrible game up front but Allen steals the win... In Chicago... Tomorrow...

Edited to add, then he is able to go toe to toe with Dubs and beat him.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I'm okay with this. We need to know how well Allen will do against the big teams, Elliott has had a few bad games, and now's the last chance before it matters.

I do worry about Elliott. When he's on, he puts up numbers with the best in the NHL. However, when he slumps, he's pretty much a wet noodle in net. Remember the lockout shortened 2013 season? Elliott looked awful for the majority of that season.

None of this is to say that Elliott is bad or not worthy of being a starter or anything like that. Just that when he's off his game, it's usually for awhile. With any other position, a few off weeks would just be a "slump." But for a starting goaltender, it's especially critical. And right now is not when we need that slump.

So put Allen in, see how he does.

None of this lets the defense off the hook, which has look awful at times this season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
even JR is supporting my Allen for PO goalie train :5:

"Allen does have the better numbers lately. He is 3-0-2 in his last five decisions, and in his last three starts, he has allowed just five goals on 97 shots for a .948 save-percentage. Elliott is 1-3-1 in his last five decisions, and in that span, he has allowed 16 goals on 119 shots for an .866 save-percentage. His win came Friday in Dallas while allowing five goals on 32 shots."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...9-b929-7314cfd90844.html#.VSBIxjQODKc.twitter

Lmao a tiny sample size outweighs literally years worth of evidence that says Brian Elliott is better than Jake Allen. Too funny.

Patrik Berglund is our best player. He is our 1C. I've seen enough of Paul Stastny and David Backed in these last four games that say he is better than them by far.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I feel like Allen is more clutch when we're playing poor defensively, but if we're doing fine or above average defensively, Elliott is the way to go to shut down what chances the other team does get. The only way I see Allen getting playing time in the playoffs is if Elliott has a bad game and Allen comes in, or if Elliott gets injured. I could totally see Allen being huge in place of Elliott if he goes down, though.

Elliott should and will start game 1.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Lmao a tiny sample size outweighs literally years worth of evidence that says Brian Elliott is better than Jake Allen. Too funny.

Patrik Berglund is our best player. He is our 1C. I've seen enough of Paul Stastny and David Backed in these last four games that say he is better than them by far.

I don't really see evidence that Elliott is better than Allen. Allen's not been around very long, hasn't done too badly for himself this year, is younger, and had a monster AHL season last year.

But is evidence that Elliott is a starter.

People get so angry, when really... we have two goalies capable of being starters... so if one is slumping, why not play the other?

Don't get your feelings so wrapped up in the whole "him vs. him" debate. We did it with Halak and Elliott, and now we're doing it with Elliott and Allen. Just play the goalie that gives yout he best chance to win that night.

Elliott just let in 5 goals last night. Probably time to give him a rest. Not because he's not a starter, just because he could use the rest.

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
ETallentown_zpszzjfoxvv.jpg

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I like that Allen is playing in Chicago. Elliott's had a rough stretch (the whole team has, in his defense). Now's a good time to give him a break. I'd like to see Allen play against Winnipeg, too, then give Elliott the second Hawks game.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
people seem shocked about going with the hot goalie. guess you missed when carolina won the cup and they benched gerber after he played like a joke in the teams first 2 home games. they never looked back with ward in net.

we have the bonus of not waiting until the first 2 home games to put allen in there because these final 4 games ARE playoff games against likely opponents. allen is going to take the reigns and run away with them this week and i just hope hitch runs with it instead of being loyal to a old dog.

RR10*

Funny how people here pretend like Elliott is a superstar and untouchable. When both goalies are on, Allen is better. When both goalies are off, Elliott is worse. Allen is still young and can develop his game while Elliott hasn't lead the Blues anywhere. Why would it be any different this year? I said it when the season started that Allen should be the starter in the playoffs. But if the defense keeps being passive and let opponents walk in uncontested it doesn't matter who will start. It feels like every other goal we let in is the result of passiveness and poor gap control.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Funny how people here pretend like Elliott is a superstar and untouchable. When both goalies are on, Allen is better. When both goalies are off, Elliott is worse. Allen is still young and can develop his game while Elliott hasn't lead the Blues anywhere. Why would it be any different this year? I said it when the season started that Allen should be the starter in the playoffs. But if the defense keeps being passive and let opponents walk in uncontested it doesn't matter who will start. It feels like every other goal we let in is the result of passiveness and poor gap control.

Prove this please. You can make statements all you want, but this is nonsense. If this was true, if Allen's peak is higher than Elliott's peak and Ells floor is lower than Allen's floor the numbers would show that and they quite obviously don't. This is nonsense that you conceived that is not based on any sort of reality.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Yes Elliott has had a rough run but amazing how many has forgotten it wasn't until after the All Star break that he finally had a game where more then 3 goals were scored against. Yes I understand he was hurt for 15 games but he has had a great season up until the past 3 weeks.

TheGoose88

Sep 6, 2011
Stl
This thread makes my brain hurt. I commend those of you using facts, reason, and logic to promote good, healthy conversation about this topic.

There is no doubt that Ells has hit a wall so to say, and been on a rough stretch. There is also no doubt that Allen has played quite well over the past few starts he's gotten. However, that does not mean that by default, he (Allen) needs to be our the man come playoff time. Elliott has the experience and the numbers in his career to back this up (as previously posted by a few others). I feel pretty good having Ells in net for Game 1 and if something happens like a freak injury, or he just plays poorly, we have one of the top young goalies in the league that we can turn to.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Besides that few game stretch when while Elliott was out, and the team was leaving him out to dry, I think Allen has been really good all year. It seems like deflections and screen shots are the only ones beating him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm glad Allen is getting the start. Elliott hasn't been a wall lately, so let's see what Allen can do. It's a big test and could tell us who to start against them again on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad