Jake Allen for playoff goalie campaign (Mod warning Post #259, Copied to OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
whats that saying again, numbers dont lie? yea well the numbers have shown that allen is the goalie that deserves to start april 15th

Numbers don't lie, but you have to interpret them.

Your interpretation is the problem.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
if allen gets the start tomorrow (which he will if hitch wants to keep his job) and he does the UNTHINKABALE and beats the hawks in regulation in their own rink, he has pretty much guaranteed himself the starting job come april 15.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
if allen gets the start tomorrow (which he will if hitch wants to keep his job) and he does the UNTHINKABALE and beats the hawks in regulation in their own rink, he has pretty much guaranteed himself the starting job come april 15.

There's a 0% chance Hitch will lose his job if he starts Elliott Sunday as expected.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Numbers don't lie, but you have to interpret them.

Your interpretation is the problem.

oh my interpretation is fine, when i see a goalie continue to let in warmup shot goals every night while the other one continues to win and put up 92%+ save pct, it makes the interpretation even easier.

The playoff goalie gig was Elliotts to lose and he has done just that. Why do you think the Sens continue to play their hot goalie Hammond? Because he WINS and the team plays with more confidence when hes between the pipes. (PS this proves my point about AHL numbers being worthless since Hammond was awful down there. So you can throw the Jake was terrible in the AHL playoffs excuse/copout out the window)

the franchise has no faith in elliott which is why they traded for miller last season. if they had faith in elliott or halak doing the job that trade wouldnt have been made. the only reason miller wasnt brought back is because they wanted to spend the money on stastny instead of miller.

so its no shock to me to see what elliott has done this year, the same thing he has done the past 3 as a blue. puts up good numbers but goes through rough patches and then when you need him the most, he lets in the biggest soft goals at the most crucial spots of your season (see ot game winning goal in game 5 and the penner buzzer beater in game 6 for textbook examples)

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
There's a 0% chance Hitch will lose his job if he starts Elliott Sunday as expected.

If the Blues fail to win Sunday and play Elliott it will mean 3 things

1) Blues will still be winless under Hitch in Chicago (i dont count the shootout wins there which they only have 1 or 2 tops)
2) The Blues want to repeat last years mistake by continuing to play Miller even though he was playing subpar.
3) Hitch is willing to go down with "his" guy, just like last year.

The only remedy of this is to either:
A) Trade the player. The Cardinals GM did this when Matheny continued to run the corpse of Allen craig out there last year. Some coaches will continue to play "their" guys instead of the hot/better choice.
B) a new coach is brought in

either way if elliott is the starter and doesnt get his crap together then this team will be one and done again and either A or B is going to occur.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

You might want to go back and watch the Hawks shred Allen back in December...he flopped round in his crease just like Miller did.

You've had this agenda from day one. You CONSTANTLY ignore Allen's shortcomings and point to Elliott's. Allen let in that ultra weak goal Thursday but that's OK. He was overly aggressive as usual and got burned. Just like that "bad break" in Detroit.

Yes, 5 GA is not good...it's terrible. But ELLIOTT made several key saves in the game, and some of those goals shouldn't have happened...pure luck for those he stars. Elliott stoned Seguin on a breakaway and a 2 on 1. At the end of the night Elliott got the win...and that's all that matters. The team played god awful again but luckily lehtonen was terrible.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
You might want to go back and watch the Hawks shred Allen back in December...he flopped round in his crease just like Miller did.

You've had this agenda from day one. You CONSTANTLY ignore Allen's shortcomings and point to Elliott's. Allen let in that ultra weak goal Thursday but that's OK. He was overly aggressive as usual and got burned. Just like that "bad break" in Detroit.

Yes, 5 GA is not good...it's terrible. But ELLIOTT made several key saves in the game, and some of those goals shouldn't have happened...pure luck for those he stars. Elliott stoned Seguin on a breakaway and a 2 on 1. At the end of the night Elliott got the win...and that's all that matters. The team played god awful again but luckily lehtonen was terrible.

lol go through my post last night where i said ya wow that was a big save but to give someone anymore credit to that when they have let in 5 goals, 3 of which were trash is not going to happen.

i get on allen too but the thing with allen is the team HAS MORE CONFIDENCE when he is playing right now. its quite clear to see that.

you play the hot goalie just like you play the hot QB in football. hitch is a smart guy so hopefully allen gets the start for the biggest game of the season and the final measuring stick for this team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
lol go through my post last night where i said ya wow that was a big save but to give someone anymore credit to that when they have let in 5 goals, 3 of which were trash is not going to happen.

i get on allen too but the thing with allen is the team HAS MORE CONFIDENCE when he is playing right now. its quite clear to see that.

you play the hot goalie just like you play the hot QB in football. hitch is a smart guy so hopefully allen gets the start for the biggest game of the season and the final measuring stick for this team.
more confidence my ass. Outside of shutting out Dallas, Allen hasn't done crap.

Boston...congrats, beat them when they were at there lowest...let's not forgot that 50ft soft wrist that beat him.

Pittsburgh...again....former shell of its self with 2 soft goals. But he did make a few dandy saves.

Vancouver....oh my...captain can stop a beach ball and kicks it in his own net.

I'm happy Hitch left Elliott in to clean up his mess, and he did just that. Suter does it with Quick. He did it all last year in the POs....and look where that got them.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
more confidence my ass. Outside of shutting out Dallas, Allen hasn't done crap.

Boston...congrats, beat them when they were at there lowest...let's not forgot that 50ft soft wrist that beat him.

Pittsburgh...again....former shell of its self with 2 soft goals. But he did make a few dandy saves.

Vancouver....oh my...captain can stop a beach ball and kicks it in his own net.

I'm happy Hitch left Elliott in to clean up his mess, and he did just that. Suter does it with Quick. He did it all last year in the POs....and look where that got them.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/5111/jake-allen

last 4 starts, 3 of which are playoff teams. 3-0-1 with a 95% save pct.

numbers dont lie, allen is our #1 going forward if we want to WIN

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
This thread is ridiculous. I agree with the sentiment of having concern about Elliott's recent play. But taking turns bad mouthing either Elliott or Allen seems like bizarre behavior for Blues fans.

It's nice to see Allen recover from that terrible stretch he had when Elliot was injured. If Elliott makes a similar rebound, I think the Blues will have adequate goaltending in the postseason. Is there enough time left? I think there is.

If the team is forced to turn to Allen, I'll root hard for him, but it puts a damper on Cup aspirations to rely on him to that degree at this stage of his career.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I've never understood the weird ass relationship Blues fans seem to always have with their goalies. Can't we just root for both guys?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
This thread is a bit absurd and premature. I can get behind having a discussion about whether to keep playing Elliot if he keeps playing like this a game or two into the playoffs. But, that also assums the rest of Blues tighten up the sloppy play. It won't matter who is in net if they can't get clean up their game.

A four game sample seems way to small to start freaking out about goaltending when the larger issues are from the defense and forwards.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This thread is ridiculous. I agree with the sentiment of having concern about Elliott's recent play. But taking turns bad mouthing either Elliott or Allen seems like bizarre behavior for Blues fans.

It's nice to see Allen recover from that terrible stretch he had when Elliot was injured. If Elliott makes a similar rebound, I think the Blues will have adequate goaltending in the postseason. Is there enough time left? I think there is.

If the team is forced to turn to Allen, I'll root hard for him, but it puts a damper on Cup aspirations to rely on him to that degree at this stage of his career.
It's honestly 1 poster who keeps this crap up. I'd say near 100% of the board backs Allen....just not this year.

In this specific posters mind Allen has clearly out shined Elliott even though it's not that simple. Body of work doesn't matter, experience doesn't matter. It's simply LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA hot goalie.

Elliott finishing the game last night is all the proof you need to know it's his show still.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
This thread is a bit absurd and premature. I can get behind having a discussion about whether to keep playing Elliot if he keeps playing like this a game or two into the playoffs. But, that also assums the rest of Blues tighten up the sloppy play. It won't matter who is in net if they can't get clean up their game.

A four game sample seems way to small to start freaking out about goaltending when the larger issues are from the defense and forwards.

The fans that are on about this Allen as the PO starter crap, simply ignore this most key point. Despite Allen proving just how not good he could be when given the reigns earlier this season, (as his poor save percentage still reflects) they over look the bolded part and think he'll make a difference. Which it wont if this team continues to play that way.

Apr 28, 2013
St. Louis
I agree that unless we clean up our sloppy team play, this conversation is irrelevant. But again, Elliott has a .904 SV% in 22 post All-Star game appearances. His performance, like most of the team, has been unacceptable as we build towards the playoffs. Is Allen the clear cut better option? At this stage of his career, no. But this is certainly a conversation worth having based on the second half performances of both goalies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Did anyone see the stretch of games where Allen and Brodeur competed to see who was the worst starting goalie in the NHL, a competition Marty barely managed to win despite Jake's best(worst) efforts? Elliott has better numbers across the board despite playing the more difficult schedule. Elliott also has playoff experience, a place where Jake has failed time and time again(literally NEVER posting above .900 save percentage at any level, and a mark Elliott has eclipsed in each of his playoff runs with the Blues). Brian Elliott is unquestionably the better goaltender, and will unquestionably be the Blues playoff starter if healthy.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Did anyone see the stretch of games where Allen and Brodeur competed to see who was the worst starting goalie in the NHL, a competition Marty barely managed to win despite Jake's best(worst) efforts? Elliott has better numbers across the board despite playing the more difficult schedule. Elliott also has playoff experience, a place where Jake has failed time and time again(literally NEVER posting above .900 save percentage at any level, and a mark Elliott has eclipsed in each of his playoff runs with the Blues). Brian Elliott is unquestionably the better goaltender, and will unquestionably be the Blues playoff starter if healthy.
Nah....let's just worry about the last 4 games against meh opponents.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
the whole easier start thing is such a joke of a excuse

last i checked, allen shut out the stars in dallas on the 2nd of back to backs. elliott let in 5 goals last night to dallas in the 2nd of back to backs.

whats that saying again, numbers dont lie? yea well the numbers have shown that allen is the goalie that deserves to start april 15th

You're right. Numbers don't lie.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-4-nhl-seasons-goalies-stats.html

This season

Brian Elliott - 2.27GAA 25W 14L 3OT 5SO .916 Sv%
Jake Allen - 2.40GAA 20W 6L 4OT 4SO .907 Sv%

I seriously do not understand anything you've presented in the past week, it's all contradicting ********.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Guess this campaign is going better then expected. Hope he does well but Elliott needed the test in Chi-town. Plus I really hope he doesn't have any side effects from the slash to the back of the net.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Unless it's waking up with soreness, I wouldn't think it was the slash, we won't know one way or the other this late in the season. Allen better stand on his head.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Allen starting is a bit of a shocker.

Let's hope he responds well.

I was surprised as well. Makes me wonder if Elliott is sore from last night. This game will be Allen's biggest test of his early career. IF he plays lights out I will feel better if he gets more starts the rest of the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad