Friedman: Jagr and the Flames are working on an "exit" (likely Europe, little NHL interest as of 1/9)

KA Olimb

Dec 11, 2015
He could definately play a few years for Kladno. There are loads of old Czechs still playing, Martin Rucinsky retired a few years ago and he was 44.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
A month and a half before the trade deadline you think Calgary would just ride that contract and try a flip to a playoff team. Or maybe these leaks/talk are just to lay the groundwork to do that.

Jagr has been brutal this year when healthy and that has been pretty rare lately they aren't going to be able to flip him to a play-contender unless Chiarelli is somehow fired and then quickly hired by another organization.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Jagr has been brutal this year when healthy and that has been pretty rare lately they aren't going to be able to flip him to a play-contender unless Chiarelli is somehow fired and then quickly hired by another organization.
I wouldn't say brutal... He has actually helped Bennett and Janko find their game too a certain extent.

But before you say Janko sucks, don't bother.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I wouldn't say brutal... He has actually helped Bennett and Janko find their game too a certain extent.

But before you say Janko sucks, don't bother.

I am not sure how much he had to do with that.

But he has been so incredibly slow that I can't imagine a team would want him in the play-offs. He is more of a liability than an asset out there at this point.

And Jankowski sucks.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I hope he gets traded one more time just so he doesn't finish his career as a Flame. Preferably back to one of his longer-term teams, but I don't see that happening. Jagr to Pittsburgh for a conditional 7th rounder (ie, future considerations, ie, nothing), Jagr could play a game or not, and just retire a Penguin.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I watched Marc Bergevin screw up enough in the past three years to tell you... Don't overestimate the average GM intelligence. There some really dull knifes in that drawer.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I don't think he wanted to sign there. He's played in mostly warm weather climates in his later years with easier travel for the bulk of his career. He only signed there because that's the only team offering a contract. It was unlikely to work out well.

His heart's not in it, he's playing this year to get a certain number of GP and that's it. The Penguins should've signed him, that's where he should retire.
Not true at all.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
3. These things take a little bit of time (remember Vadim Shipachyov) so it might take a few days to get clarity, but Jaromir Jagr’s NHL time is coming to an end. On one hand, it’s sad to see, but I think Jagr’s earned the right to be seen in a more positive light. You can look and say, “Ugh, this is tough to watch.” I prefer to look at it as, “What an incredible accomplishment that he got an NHL contract at age 45 — even if it didn’t work.”

Agent Petr Svoboda has permission to talk to other teams, but I’m not hearing much interest. The knee injury is problematic; teams either in or fighting for the playoffs will need the roster spot and cap room. Anyone out isn’t going to want to pay potential bonuses. Chris Johnston reported the Olympics don’t appear to be an option, so it’s going to come down to whether or not he wants to go back overseas. There is word of interest in Germany. I wouldn’t put it past him to rest the remainder of the season and try again somewhere in 2018-19.

31-thoughts-rogers-wanted-nhl-trade-deadline-primetime

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Today's NHL has passed him by, he may be good in the Calgary locker room with the kids but on the ice it's sad to watch him play healthy or not.

NewUser293223

Registered Abuser
Oct 21, 2017
Ivory tower
I have just watched this:

Those people saying Jagr looked bad all the time sound far less credible than the folks who claim he actually looked good until the injury troubles.

The hockey sense is still there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have just watched this:

Those people saying Jagr looked bad all the time sound far less credible than the folks who claim he actually looked good until the injury troubles.

The hockey sense is still there.

It's a highlight video, of course he looks good :laugh:

Jagr still has offensive instincts, but his skating is poor and he's a liability in 2 of the 3 zones the game is played in. Also, no one is saying he was bad "all the time". Anyone making such a claim is a moron because no one looks bad all the time. Jagr had his moments where he looked good, but he has been pretty underwhelming as a Flame.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Do the right thing, trade him to Pittsburgh out of respect for whatever they give you.

I'd be fine with that, within reason though. As long as the caps balanced out, and Calgary wouldn't be taking on an unneeded player for next year, I'd move him to the Penguins if he did in fact want to return there. Or just move him for a conditional pick where the conditions would never be met.

ReggiesLemons

Jul 4, 2013
Do you have a source that says otherwise?

From 2012:

“I always wanted to play in Canada, and I wanted to go to Montreal if I had a chance,” he said. “Montreal wasn’t interested, and then all of a sudden, I got a call from (Stars general manager) Joe Nieuwendyk and I was very happy.”

Jagr: 'I wanted to go to Montreal' - Sportsnet.ca

Jagr is on record numerous times dscussing his desire to play for a Canadian team. I'm not sure why Calgary would be exempt from that.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
He could definately play a few years for Kladno. There are loads of old Czechs still playing, Martin Rucinsky retired a few years ago and he was 44.

He could play anywhere in the Czech Elite League, though some of those arenas are like playing in a barn compared to nhl arenas.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I'm pretty sure Jagr said himself the Blues offered him a contract, but chose the Flames because they had shown interest the entire time but the Blues only contacted him once Fabbri was injured.

Yep, he did say that. His reason for signing with Calgary is that he would have a more defined role. He said the Blues had players coming back from injury so he was worried he would lose his spot when he came back. Kind of ironic because we've had even more injuries since then and would probably have a more stable spot for him than CGY. That being said, I think he just wanted the publicity of playing in Canada instead of playing in the Midwest. Plus, the Blues only offered him $1.5 million guaranteed while the Flames were offering $1 million base + $1 million in potential bonuses. Still wish he had chosen the Blues, burned out or not!

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I received some hate here in the summer when I said he is just not very good anymore and that's why many teams weren't interested at all signing him. He was carried by Barkov and Huberdeau in the last season. He should have just gone back to Europe if he didn't want to retire.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I received some hate here in the summer when I said he is just not very good anymore and that's why many teams weren't interested at all signing him. He was carried by Barkov and Huberdeau in the last season. He should have just gone back to Europe if he didn't want to retire.
You mean by Huberdeau who played just 31 games last year? Barkov also missed 21 games (though admittedly Trocheck is a very good "backup plan"). Despite being slow, Jagr was still a decent top6 player last year.
Obviously, five months without playing + injuries finally caught up with him.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Nope. He missed training camp, and got injured. Then he got hurt again. Simple as that. If he hadn't been injured, he'd still be good for 30 points or so, but when a guy at the age of 46 is already slow as is (understandable), then injures his groin, his effectiveness essentially tanks.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I've been saying this as well. He needed to go to a perfect situation like he had in Florida, and there was no chance anyone was giving him one.

Anyone who watched the panthers could see that he was getting dragged around by Barkov and Huberdeau most games. Every so often he'd make a really great play, but a lot of his goals were just nice passes that he just had to smack into the net.
Still happy we got a few years out of him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I've been saying this as well. He needed to go to a perfect situation like he had in Florida, and there was no chance anyone was giving him one.

Anyone who watched the panthers could see that he was getting dragged around by Barkov and Huberdeau most games. Every so often he'd make a really great play, but a lot of his goals were just nice passes that he just had to smack into the net.
Still happy we got a few years out of him.

If that is the case, which pylon are they dragging this year? is that pylon doing as well as Jagr did?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad