Friedman: Jagr and the Flames are working on an "exit" (likely Europe, little NHL interest as of 1/9)

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

I'm worried this means he's headed to retirement.

I don't think anyone needs to worry. He's had a great career and has made his money. He'll be fine.

If he does decide to retire I hope he does it sooner rather than later. It would free up a roster spot for the Flames and they've been having decent luck with their Stockton callups lately.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Has he been that bad?

Yes

Many Flames fans will try and make excuses for him because he is Jaromir Jagr but he has been really bad overall.

He has some games where he has been really good with puck possession but those games have been few and far between especially lately. He has been a big liability defensively, skates like he is wearing cement skates and in molasses and offensively he has produced 1 g and 6 goals in 22 games.

Again if his name is Joe Smith from Moose Jaw he is in the AHL, but because he is Jagr he (maybe deservingly so) has got a long leash. But based solely on this year and what he has done on the ice he has been really bad.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I thought Jagr looked bad in his first game but after that he played great before the injury happened. Clearly it's been nagging him and he hasn't been able to be as good after. Shame. Wonder if he needs surgery or something but is trying to force through knowing it's most likely his last season.

Reactions: Pomee

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Question, if Jagr officially retires, could he play in the Olympics if the Czech team wanted him? Could add another dimension to this. He isn't getting playing time in Calgary, isn't playing especially well when he does, doesn't need the money, and the way he has played this year he likely won't get an NHL contract again. May as well close the door on his NHL career for one last Olympic games if he can.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
No he's been fine. He hasn't fully recovered from his groin injury which is what's causing him to sit out every other game

Fine??

he has 7 points in 20 games and offers nothing defensively, how is that fine?

He has no points in his last 7 games and 1 in his last 10 how is that fine?

Jesus the lengths Flames fans will go to try and sugar coat Jagrs garbage play is insane.

He has been in a group of 3-4 guys (Glass, Bartkowski, Brouwer) that have been the worst players for the Flames this year.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Fine??

Jesus the lengths Flames fans will go to try and sugar coat Jagrs garbage play is insane.

He has been in a group of 3-4 guys (Glass, Bartkowski, Brouwer) that have been the worst players for the Flames this year.

During the amount of time you are claiming he has certainly been real bad. If this is going to continue that is not acceptable.

However he is not in the Glass, Bart, Brouwer group. Those guys have always been bad, since the start of the season. Jagr looked good for a while there and I'd say he's partially responsible for the 3rd line resurgence. Let's not forget it's when they formed Jagr-Janko-Bennett that is when it really picked up. Jagr got hurt soon after and was replaced by Hathaway, who did even better, but Jagr looked real good on that line.

I think he needs to be shut down until he's 100% healthy as he's clearly not right now.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He looked ok in limited minutes but the fact that the Bennett line has looked the same with Hathaway replacing Jagr doesn't exactly speak all that well to his play or his fictional role in that line's "resurgence."

Either way Jagr has played in 20 of the teams 40 games and even by your admission has "been real bad" in some of those games (maybe as much as 10 of them.)

So in 40 games the Flames have played this year Jagr maybe has looked good in 10 (and that is a stretch.) How is that a good thing? How is that a guy you want to keep around?

Maybe it would be one thing if he broke his hand and just needed time to heal but his injury certainly seems like something that is going to be affecting him all season long.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No he's been fine. He hasn't fully recovered from his groin injury which is what's causing him to sit out every other game
Fine is a bit of an overstatement. He literally lost his job to Garnet Hathaway

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
He looked slow but not completely out of place before he hurt his groin. Now it just looks like crap since he's started this trend of playing a game, sitting out 3, playing a game, sitting out 4, etc.

Imo he has indeed looked fine. 7 points in 22 games and a +6 isn't out of place for a bottom 6 player on a 1 mil contract. Just sit him for a few weeks instead of this back and forth

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Question, if Jagr officially retires, could he play in the Olympics if the Czech team wanted him? Could add another dimension to this. He isn't getting playing time in Calgary, isn't playing especially well when he does, doesn't need the money, and the way he has played this year he likely won't get an NHL contract again. May as well close the door on his NHL career for one last Olympic games if he can.

I think so. Czech Republic had Jagr on their preliminary list of players in the summer. Not sure if its too late to be able to swap out another player for him without it being an injury sub.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Fine??

Who the heck did u think u were getting? I get the bad offensively....but defensively?
Jagr was never any good defensively.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
He's been fine. Jankowski and Hathaway coming in and playing well just kind of took his spot away.

At worst he's been a 3rd liner. Few games he's been super dangerous.

Reactions: Pomee

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The thing about Jagr that bugs me is that he looks totally different this season than last season. His stick work looks weaker, his skating doesn't look right and he often falls randomly. I spent the time to compare clips of the current season to what he looked like in Florida and to my eyes his play is seriously off.

I think his new skates are screwing something up in regards to the skating and injuries, but I don't know what's going on in terms of the weaker stick work that makes it seem like he on often gets stick checked easily. I think what's happening to Jagr is a bit different than just getting old and not being at game speed.

Based on other NHL player interviews, I think his new skates are sharper. I remember Backlund giving an interview where he said the wrong blade (Gio's) were placed in his skates or something and the sharper blades caused him to fall more often. I wonder if the same is occurring to Jagr and he's getting injured as a result.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The thing about Jagr that bugs me is that he looks totally different this season than last season. His stick work looks weaker, his skating doesn't look right and he often falls randomly. I spent the time to compare clips of the current season to what he looked like in Florida and to my eyes his play is seriously off.

I think his new skates are screwing something up in regards to the skating and injuries, but I don't know what's going on in terms of the weaker stick work that makes it seem like he on often gets stick checked easily. I think what's happening to Jagr is a bit different than just getting old and not being at game speed.

Based on other NHL player interviews, I think his new skates are sharper. I remember Backlund giving an interview where he said the wrong blade (Gio's) were placed in his skates or something and the sharper blades caused him to fall more often. I wonder if the same is occurring to Jagr and he's getting injured as a result.

He was starting to be garbage in Florida as well, he improved as the season went but he was carried heavily by Barkov.

His skating looked real slow, he could have been called for hooks/holds whatever every game if the reffs wanted, his shot had taken a hit and his puck handling wasn't elite anymore by any means.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad