Friedman: Jagr and the Flames are working on an "exit" (likely Europe, little NHL interest as of 1/9)

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Buffalo, Arizona or Edmonton should sign him just for the novelty and attention. What else have they got going on?

Edmonton doesn't need him at this point now, their season is done. Taking a roster spot that the young guys need to keep progressing would be a step in the wrong direction for the club.

At the start of the year, signing in Edmonton probably would have been a better option for him than Calgary. The Oilers needed a RW veteran and I think he would have fit in well. May have even been given 1st line duties to continue padding those amazing career stats of his. But all is lost for bringing him to Edmonton now.

What a career he's had. :clap:

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
When Healthy I would say yes but putting him on the same line as McDavid would be a joke with the speed differential.

Lucic - Leon - Jagr may work though.

Right, I didn't think he'd necessarily play there, just wondering if he could fill the puck possession role of a Maroon/Kassian - and move Lucic around as needed.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Edmonton doesn't need him at this point now, their season is done. Taking a roster spot that the young guys need to keep progressing would be a step in the wrong direction for the club.

At the start of the year, signing in Edmonton probably would have been a better option for him than Calgary. The Oilers needed a RW veteran and I think he would have fit in well. May have even been given 1st line duties to continue padding those amazing career stats of his. But all is lost for bringing him to Edmonton now.

What a career he's had. :clap:
Calgary needed a veteran RW too.

baconbacon

Sep 29, 2011
2 birds one stone trade

CGY-ARZ

CGY trades Jagr and Rasmus Andersson
ARZ trades Duclair and ?useful contract dump?/Calgarys conditional pick in 2019?

No worries about # of contracts and $ is similar. Calgary gets a younger, faster, contract controlled winger to replace Jagr. Jagr gets to go somewhere warmer where he will be able to get icetime, be an attraction, veteran presence and trade chip. Arizona gets a RD with upside. Calgary can afford this loss as they have a good d-core and the top 2 RD slots seemingly filled for the next few years. ARZ trades another small piece to even up contracts and value

Thoughts?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Jagr for Vrbata as the basis for a deal?
Change of scenery for Vrbata and Jagr probably goes back to the Huberdeau-Barkov line.
Brings back some fans down here and not like he is that much slower than H&B.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
I was one of the few Flames fans that didn't like the Jagr signing at all. I knew right away at the beginning that he was going to have many injuries since he's 45 and he did not train much at all in the summer as he said. I'm happy he's moving on. He's had a great NHL career but yes it's time for him to retire. Frees up a roster spot for someone much younger.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
2 birds one stone trade

CGY-ARZ

ARZ trades Duclair and ?useful contract dump?/Calgarys conditional pick in 2019?

No worries about # of contracts and $ is similar. Calgary gets a younger, faster, contract controlled winger to replace Jagr. Jagr gets to go somewhere warmer where he will be able to get icetime, be an attraction, veteran presence and trade chip. Arizona gets a RD with upside. Calgary can afford this loss as they have a good d-core and the top 2 RD slots seemingly filled for the next few years. ARZ trades another small piece to even up contracts and value

Thoughts?

Wouldn't move Rasmus alone for Duclair.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
2 birds one stone trade

CGY-ARZ

Thoughts?

I wouldn't have any interest in Duclair at the cost of Andersson.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ya I wouldn't mind trading one of our defense just to make room for Andersson. No interest in trading him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
2nd in 2019

Pretty much expecting that range (possibly a late 1st for a team loading up for bear - ex. TB), but I'm biased toward wanting Jagr in a Canucks uniform.

What makes you think Vanek will return a 2nd, let alone a 1st? Last year he was having a solid year too and all the Wings could get was a 3rd round pick and an AHL defenseman.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do the right thing, trade him to Pittsburgh out of respect for whatever they give you.

Reactions: BM14

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We are taking Jagr, that's the difference.
And the Wings took McIlrath. It's not like Jagr's a liability, he just has injury problems and was supplanted by Hathaway who is playing above his head. We will likely just end up to a mutual termination of his contract. So why would we pay to get rid of him exactly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad