Friedman: Jagr and the Flames are working on an "exit" (likely Europe, little NHL interest as of 1/9)

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
I hope he gets traded one more time just so he doesn't finish his career as a Flame. Preferably back to one of his longer-term teams, but I don't see that happening. Jagr to Pittsburgh for a conditional 7th rounder (ie, future considerations, ie, nothing), Jagr could play a game or not, and just retire a Penguin.

Yep. It's a pretty big blemish on an otherwise strong career.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
This is a sad, but not unexpected, exit for him. Too bad it didn't work out.

From 2012:

“I always wanted to play in Canada, and I wanted to go to Montreal if I had a chance,” he said. “Montreal wasn’t interested, and then all of a sudden, I got a call from (Stars general manager) Joe Nieuwendyk and I was very happy.”

Jagr: 'I wanted to go to Montreal' - Sportsnet.ca

Jagr is on record numerous times dscussing his desire to play for a Canadian team. I'm not sure why Calgary would be exempt from that.
He would have been an Oiler in 2008 if they had offered more than a one-year contract. It's funny to look back nine summers ago and see teams were hesitant of signing him to a multi-year deal because he was 36. When he was in Omsk he said he would give the Oilers first shot at signing him if he returned to the NHL but by the time he did the team was in the middle of their long rebuild. He seems to be loyal or at least have time for teams that show interest in him the longest.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Why is it sad or even a big blemish?

They guy is 46. There is no shame if he cant do it anymore.
Sad because I wanted to see him play the entire season. He's been a favourite of mine for about 20 years. I'm sure this isn't how he wanted his career to end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad