Confirmed with Link: Jagr a Devil (1 year, $2.0M base, $2.0M bonuses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
41 years old and he trains with ankle weights and a 45 pound vest. BEAST.

These are old videos from last year's lockout when he was playing in Europe. Back then Jagr dropped some weight too but gained it all back in time for the NHL, he used to think being bigger and stronger than the rest of the NHL players gave him an advantage along the boards, I think he realizes now that the game has changed and thus has lost the weight for good to compete more with the speed of the players.

I'm excited about his chances this year, I don't think he will ever score 100 Pts but I think anywhere from 65 to 85 Pts are reasonable expectations. Remember that Selanne as a 40 year old scored 80 Pts in 73 games which is 90 Pts in 82 games (Selanne is much lighter and had the wheels still then).

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
These are old videos from last year's lockout when he was playing in Europe. Back then Jagr dropped some weight too but gained it all back in time for the NHL, he used to think being bigger and stronger than the rest of the NHL players gave him an advantage along the boards, I think he realizes now that the game has changed and thus has lost the weight for good to compete more with the speed of the players.

I'm excited about his chances this year, I don't think he will ever score 100 Pts but I think anywhere from 65 to 85 Pts are reasonable expectations. Remember that Selanne as a 40 year old scored 80 Pts in 73 games which is 90 Pts in 82 games (Selanne is much lighter and had the wheels still then).
85 points? :laugh::laugh::laugh: i wish man. i'd say 50-60 is reasonable. he had 54 in 73 games 2 years ago. what makes you think he's gonna get 31 more points on a low scoring team(which he may not get 1st line minutes) at his age?

Xegiie

Oct 21, 2011
Czech republic
85 points? :laugh::laugh::laugh: i wish man. i'd say 50-60 is reasonable. he had 54 in 73 games 2 years ago. what makes you think he's gonna get 31 more points on a low scoring team(which he may not get 1st line minutes) at his age?

that was also year where he had groin injuries through season since flyers-nyr which was in half of season , till that he was on ppg pace, not saying he can do it again, he had Giroux and awesome chemistry, but I will hope and pray he can

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
nobody should be expecting more than 60 points from a single player on our roster. maybe if elias develops some chemistry with somebody he can get higher than that, but he's the only one that i would consider likely to get over that total.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he scored 35 Pts in just 45 games last year playing on two of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL? Also the fact was that there was no training camp or pre-season for Jagr to get used to playing with a new team, he had already played about 36 games in Europe before coming back (fatigue that others players didn't contend with) and on top of all that, he had to change teams 2/3 of the season in (not easy to do for anyone, let alone for a 40 + year old and in a shortened season where there is far less rest time and less practice time in between games). Jagr was actually Dallas' leading scorer before he left and that team featured some pretty decent players including Lou Eriksson, Jamie Benn and Ray Whitney and was playing at a 34 goals pace (14 goals in 34 games), his assists were down drastically from years past and that had to do with not really having a center that complimented his game (Benn and Jagr never really clicked).

Not to mention that when he joined Boston, he was playing on the 3rd line at times with players that had no business playing with him and he went from scoring 14 goals in 34 games with Dallas to just scoring 2 goals in 11 games with Boston. He is a professional and he doesn't complain, but you can tell he wasn't happy with his situation in Boston (and no one is more defensive minded than Boston is with a terrible powerplay to boot). The situation he was in in Boston, heck Crosby couldn't have faired better than the 9 Pts he put up in 11 games.

He will come into a more optimal situation this time around, back in the Eastern Conference facing teams he is very familiar with (he has dominated the Penguins, Flyers, Capitals and Islanders in the past), the Eastern Conference is more open than the Western Conference, the season will be longer yes but less grinding with more rest and practice time in between games and he will have some Czech players to play with. He will also get 1st PP minutes with a decent shot at 1st or 2nd line minutes. I don't see why he can't surpass last year's pace, I mean after all it was a 29 goals and 64 Pts pace in 82 games.

Before anyone says it's a longer season, Jagr played 103 meaningful hockey games last season and even if the Czech league is not on the same level as the NHL (it's considered among the top 4 best leagues in Europe and is above the AHL in quality, BTW the Czech league had most of the Czech players play there including Krejci and despite all that, Jagr was the runaway scoring leader with 56 Pts in 34 games before he left), that's a lot of games for any 40 + year old to play.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
20 goals and 50 points for Jagr would be just fine for me. 60 would be pretty sweet though.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think he'll go for 20 g 40 a. I think he's gonna set up Elias and Henrique a lot and they'll end with 30 and 25 respectively.

Xegiie

Oct 21, 2011
Czech republic
1382864_523330291077141_741926521_n.jpg

Photo from Jagr's facebook, the four musketeers as he called it :)

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
love this jagr quote:

"Even though I’m not what I used to be, I still love the game. I have the same love I had before. People get old. They still love their lives, but they cannot do what they used to do. Are you going to kill yourself? That’s me. I’m going to fight to the end. There are probably a lot of people who don’t agree with me, but I don’t really care.

"Why should I stop doing something that I love? Because I’m going to hurt my name? So what? Are they going to criticize me that I can’t play anymore, that I’m awful? Who cares? As long as I’m giving my best and somebody appreciates my work, I’m happy with that. I’m kind of different that way. You learn to put your ego aside."

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/..._his_reputation_at_age_41_isnt_a_concern.html

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Nice to see Jagr get on the scoreboard :)

Mory Schneideur*

That was true when he has Stevens & Lindros drilling him into the boards. Nowadays not so much.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Which players are Jagr playing with on the PP?

SwissStef

Jul 27, 2007
love this jagr quote:

"Even though I’m not what I used to be, I still love the game. I have the same love I had before. People get old. They still love their lives, but they cannot do what they used to do. Are you going to kill yourself? That’s me. I’m going to fight to the end. There are probably a lot of people who don’t agree with me, but I don’t really care.

"Why should I stop doing something that I love? Because I’m going to hurt my name? So what? Are they going to criticize me that I can’t play anymore, that I’m awful? Who cares? As long as I’m giving my best and somebody appreciates my work, I’m happy with that. I’m kind of different that way. You learn to put your ego aside."

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/..._his_reputation_at_age_41_isnt_a_concern.html

"off topic"...i know...but it must be the same approach Roger Federer has! This is true passion and sportsmanship!

:handclap:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
So the Devils have had players jump teams, jump leagues, now we have players jumping sports

Xegiie

Oct 21, 2011
Czech republic
he posted on his facebook, that after Hertl's yesterday goal parade he needs to find new sport so he can get into olympic games ;)
also Jagr congratulated him and suggested a14 day long rest so the scoring race will be still interesting for others :)

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
So how would you rate Jagrs performance thus far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad