Confirmed with Link: Jacques Martin named Special Assistant to the Head Coach

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Another band-aid for the unrepairable situation.

Don't confuse 'will be done' with 'can be done'. This team's issues with coaching are very easy to repair. The organization refuses to do it. It's as simple as that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We need a coach who has been threatened with a wrongful death lawsuit to literally whip these wimps into shape.

We got his long time assistant from LA and Vancouver to run the bench. Isn't that enough for you?

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
So they looked at what they did last off season, looked at the results, and ultimately came to the conclusion that they didn't add enough random titles and shuffle enough suits around.

Fantastic. Can we start over?

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I'm proud to be a fan of a special team :)

In the meantime the Blackhawks just won their third Cup.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Didn't he already kind of do that?
Basically. Last season he was doing a lot of opponent scouting and game preparation, I'd imagine he'll continue to do that only this time he'll also be upstairs on the headset on game day, which he did frequently his first year when he was Dan's assistant.

Don't let that get in the way of indignation and self pity, though.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
:laugh:

Come on now, guys. No one is mad. It is just humorous.

Sometimes I think people want to complain about this board, a thread, the fan base, etc. merely because they don't conform with their ideal vision. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just interesting.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
You have to just laugh at how bad this team is run. Can't make this **** up.

It's like a vortex of mediocrity that slowly sucks everyone in.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Because they gave Martin a different job title?
Perhaps I'm the only one who sees the humor in a Jack Adams winning coach, who has 613 wins as a coach in the NHL, reporting to a coach who has coached ~91 NHL games total.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Can I be "HFBoards Ambassador"?

If you can look in the mirror and tell yourself spending money for some stupid gold star and a bigger avatar isn't going to make you feel like a tool, go for it.

My only concern about Jacques Martin advising Johnston is that JM likes the defense first type of approach, I don't want to see elements of that at all. I want to see Martin helping Johnston with adjustments (can't believe this is still a problem) and I guess how to play safer hockey when the team does hit its annual "holy ****, how many injuries do we have already?"

Perhaps I'm the only one who sees the humor in a Jack Adams winning coach, who has 613 wins as a coach in the NHL, reporting to a coach who has coached ~91 NHL games total.

IF his resume mattered to GM's with vacant coaching positions, he would have left by now. But he hasn't, he's stayed on the last 3yrs as an assistant, some made up role last year, and now a glorified babysitter.

Clearly he likes not being the guy people **** all over when things go wrong.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I just think J.Martin and MJ/Agnew mesh more than Martin and DB.
Martin did his new job down the stretch and the playoffs. It worked well so they're gonna stick with it. He probably worked alot with Agnew and the slapped together D-core we had.
This isn't a bad thing at all.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think threads like this and the Niclas Andersen one clearly separate the people that are angry at the organization for genuine reasons and those that are just angry because they like being angry.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I think threads like this and the Niclas Andersen one clearly separate the people that are angry at the organization for genuine reasons and those that are just angry because they like being angry.

Don't forget that guy the Baby Pens recently signed to an AHL contract!!!!!!111111
664.gif

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Don't confuse 'will be done' with 'can be done'. This team's issues with coaching are very easy to repair. The organization refuses to do it. It's as simple as that.

Let me guess hire mike keenan? Heh. The bottom line is that there is no easy fix for the teams issues, they have to be patient and do a two year mini rebuild.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
General Purposes. Some Pens fans just love to have **** to be mad about.

It seems like most of us.

My only concern is that, is there a better "mentor" which let's face it, this is exactly just that, a mentor to Johnston to kind of keep him on the right path because MJ has the knowledge to be a great coach some day, the Pens are just super impatient right now and the most ideal situation would have been Hynes being an AC and Johnston joining WBS first, but Bylsma was just too inept not to fire, the 2yr coach should have been Martin.

I would have gone with...

1. Bylsma fired.
2. J. Martin hired, 2yr contract - Hynes promoted as Assistant Coach.
3. Mike Johnston hired as WBS' coach.
4. After 2yrs, MJ takes over or Hynes does and MJ joins him as AC.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I should note I don't think many of us are mad. I think we all find it a little hilarious that they had to come up with a title because babysitter doesn't seen professional enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad