Confirmed with Link: Jacques Martin named Pens' Viceroy of French Canadian Scouts

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Only coaching in the East since 1995...living in the East...maybe, I dunno, he wanted it that way? He had a few stints in the West (Blues, Avs) but it seems as though he likes it in the EC.

Also, we don't need to spend as much time scouting the west in terms of potential playoff matchups anyway. Once you make it to the Cup final, there aren't many secrets. We need to get through the East first.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Good role for him. He's a smart hockey mind who has won a lot of games. Hopefully he & the Pens realize that we need a legit top 6 winger

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I'm not making fun of this at all, but it's seriously just a pro/advanced scouting role.

If this team didn't have that under Shero, my mind is ****ing blown.

Meh, would it really have mattered with Bylsma as our coach?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not making fun of this at all, but it's seriously just a pro/advanced scouting role.

If this team didn't have that under Shero, my mind is ****ing blown.

Pro scouting involves scouting other teams' players, and other teams' systems, but I think what makes this position different is that the pro scouts are only evaluating the other team. Martin's role apparently involves also evaluating the Penguins themselves as well, and making his own comparisons between them, not just sending reports on what other teams are doing.

Basically, it's a way of providing a pseudo-outside voice to evaluate the Penguins as they compare to other teams. It's an interesting concept if they can make it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad