Confirmed with Link: Jacques Martin named Pens' Viceroy of French Canadian Scouts

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Only Eastern Conference teams because he has an early bed time?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
sounds like they want him to look hard at the tactics for teams we're going to have to go through to get to the Finals.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
sounds like they want him to look hard at the tactics for teams we're going to have to go through to get to the Finals.

That's kind of how I took it. That he's not going to be evaluating players, he's going to be evaluating other teams as a whole unit including the coaching. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of other teams' coaches will help our staff build better game plans against the competition.

To me, this is another move made with the new-found focus on adjusting to our competition.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That's kind of how I took it. That he's not going to be evaluating players, he's going to be evaluating other teams as a whole unit including the coaching. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of other teams' coaches will help our staff build better game plans against the competition.

To me, this is another move made with the new-found focus on adjusting to our competition.

Yep. I like it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

How about they just do/learn what actually wins in those circumstances and they just employ them?

It still all comes down to the man in charge to know when to do what while it's actually happening.

Get the lead. (Score the first goal)
Wear them down. (keep the puck deep)
Capitalize late in the game. (take advantage of a tired defense)

That takes a well oiled machine and time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
How about they just do/learn what actually wins in those circumstances and they just employ them?

It still all comes down to the man in charge to know when to do what while it's actually happening.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. Are you suggesting they aren't trying to win?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not really sure what you're saying here. Are you suggesting they aren't trying to win?

nike1.jpg

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

No, just that they are not employing the winning formula that usually translates into SC winners.

They are getting better on the player front, but I'm not all that pleased with the system still being offense orientated. When things get tight in the playoffs Will Johnston (offense) put Martin's (defense) suggestions to full use?

None of us know how this will translate and until we see it at work when it matters, we'll have tons of speculating going on until then.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Wow...talk about a million dollar title for what amounts to be an absolutely meaningless "job".
He watches hockey aaaand says "We are better than this team" or "We are not better than that team".

Haha. This is such a joke all dressed up in a pretty package of a job title!

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
No, just that they are not employing the winning formula that usually translates into SC winners.

They are getting better on the player front, but I'm not all that pleased with the system still being offense orientated. When things get tight in the playoffs Will Johnston (offense) put Martin's (defense) suggestions to full use?

None of us know how this will translate and until we see it at work when it matters, we'll have tons of speculating going on until then.

4 of the 5 series the Pens have lost since they won the cup have been because their offense was completely shut down. The defense has not been the problem.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
And we don't have enough staff members constantly watching the teams that we play on a nightly basis?

Here's the total list of pro scouts listed on the Pens' website:
Dan MacKinnon Director of Player Personnel
Derek Clancey Director of Professional Scouting
Al Santilli Professional Scout

Jacques Martin brings it up to four people who will be watching other teams.

If anything, the Pens probably don't have enough staff members constantly watching the teams they play on a nightly basis...

As a side note, Andre Savard appears to have been let go as a pro scout, and Al Santilli moved from Amateur Scouting to Pro Scouting.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

That's how I see it. I like it. We clearly didn't do anything like this to any real effect the last 5 years.

So you are saying we need to get to our game and not worry about the other team's game. Are you Dan Bylsma by any chance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad