Confirmed with Link: Jacques Martin named Pens' Viceroy of French Canadian Scouts

Fordy

May 28, 2008
are you guys serious? this is a great hockey mind being put in a position where he'll likely report straight to the gm on other teams. he's a guy that's been a gm before. dunno how this is something to make fun of, it's a good move and will directly help this team adjust, something we've *****ed about for ages

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
That sounds like one of the most awesome jobs ever. Watch a little NBCSN and write a double spaced 1 pager to Rutherford? Man I want in!

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins-penguins-blog/2014/07/23/Interesting-move-with-Martin/stories/201407230002

It‘s a shame that *neither general manager Jim Rutherford nor Martin is available today to discuss Martin‘s assignment further.

Oh no, I hope JR is okay.

Conceivably, that information could be used to make tweaks -- personnel, systems, whatever -- that will help the Penguins match up better against some teams.

It seems as if Martin will be adding a different perspective, a bigger picture of how the Penguins compare with their major competition.
Who knows? If the Penguins had had someone in this particular role last year,

So if Shelly is right no one was doing that.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
That's how I see it. I like it. We clearly didn't do anything like this to any real effect the last 5 years.

Definitely. So much has been made about the team being arrogant and believing that if they "got to their game" they could beat anyone regardless of what the other team is doing. There's been a clear change in that mindset and now they are actively making moves to fix it.

are you guys serious? this is a great hockey mind being put in a position where he'll likely report straight to the gm on other teams. he's a guy that's been a gm before. dunno how this is something to make fun of, it's a good move and will directly help this team adjust, something we've *****ed about for ages

I agree. I'm not quite understanding some of the reactions.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not making fun of this at all, but it's seriously just a pro/advanced scouting role.

If this team didn't have that under Shero, my mind is ****ing blown.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not making fun of this at all, but it's seriously just a pro/advanced scouting role.

Scouting players vs. scouting teams' strategies to help us address our inability to adjust in playoff hockey.

MJ is new to HCing in the NHL. Giving him as much information as possible sounds good to me.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

This is exactly what went through my mind.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I really like the sound of it. Theoretically, we could use different game plans and tactics against different teams and not just do the stretch pass over and over. Could be a truly mind-blowing experience.

Of course they had this under Shero. However, all the pro scouts were advised not to watch other teams but rather to focus on Bylsma because of how ****ing awesome he was.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

He was too busy making sure young defensemen rot in the AHL.

610x-115.jpg

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I really like the sound of it. Theoretically, we could use different game plans and tactics against different teams and not just do the stretch pass over and over. Could be a truly mind-blowing

sounds good...but...in the regular season you nether have the time to learn or practices deferent systems for each team .....but.....come playoffs it's a necessity. imo

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
sounds good...but...in the regular season you nether have the time to learn or practices deferent systems for each team .....but.....come playoffs it's a necessity. imo

I expect he will have certain games that he will key in on during the regular season, while most of what he does will be focused on playoff teams and how we would be best to match up against them come April and May.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

We thought that they were using advanced stats too, so it wouldn't really surprise me.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Seems quite possible Waddell was that guy but we'll never know. Either way I don't really get the scope of this hiring. He should be scouting all the top contenders in both conferences not just the best teams in the east. That said, this is just a glorified scouting position (let's be real) but I'm sure Jaques will be good at it so doesn't bother me too much. Most likely 2 or 3 of these "all chiefs and no indians" positions Rutherford has made will disappear in a couple years / be absorbed into other roles like Assistant to the GM.

This is another sign we're in a transition year. Stuff is going to be changing for a while so everyone should set their expectations accordingly unless we make a big trade end of summer or prior to the deadline.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Was actually a pretty good guess IMO... IF we had someone in this role. Entirely possible we did not. I don't think anyone would accuse Waddell of being a great talent evaluator so possibly that was his role. In the end hopefully Jaques' smarts will produce something useful here including possibly some ideas for Rutherford and Bottlerocket on trade potentials come spring.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I'd say it was Andre Savard, the last guy we re-assigned from coaching to the personnel department. Seems the kind of thing you'd want a coach's perspective on.

Savard, it appears from the Penguins site, is no longer with the team.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

Agreed. This is something that every team in every sport does and has done for years. Of course we have had people scout the other teams. Watch game tapes etc.

Thats why I was kinda laughing about this.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
It didn't matter if the Penguins had some guys scouting how other teams played or not because Bylsma never made any adjustments anyways. Now this position might actually matter.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Only Eastern Conference teams because he has an early bed time?

Only coaching in the East since 1995...living in the East...maybe, I dunno, he wanted it that way? He had a few stints in the West (Blues, Avs) but it seems as though he likes it in the EC.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It didn't matter if the Penguins had some guys scouting how other teams played or not because Bylsma never made any adjustments anyways. Now this position might actually matter.

That's true. Whoever was doing this job before may have been great at it, but they were probably ignored regardless. :nod::laugh:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Only coaching in the East since 1995...living in the East...maybe, I dunno, he wanted it that way? He had a few stints in the West (Blues, Avs) but it seems as though he likes it in the EC.

I think its more because they want to concentrate of making it to the finals so we're going to have to go through the best teams in the East.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad