News Article: Jacques Demers: Tough, ‘Blue Collar’ Maple Leafs have become Canada’s Team

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
And I'm sure he's still having trouble living it down.:D

Spoken like people who don't really listen to Healy. Healy has been pretty positive about the Leafs all season long. But I guess this is just another example of the meme mentality of the Internet, the same thing gets said enough times and people believe it regardless of actual facts.

Inconceivable

Oct 13, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Spoken like people who don't really listen to Healy. Healy has been pretty positive about the Leafs all season long. But I guess this is just another example of the meme mentality of the Internet, the same thing gets said enough times and people believe it regardless of actual facts.

Wrong. I remember the last time we were playing Montreal, up 5-1, and Healy was saying that reimer looks shaky and that the habs could get back in it. He's made lots of stupid comments about the leafs this year. Not sure how you missed them.

EDDIE20*

Dude, Healy spends more time bashing the Leafs than not. Just because he pops in the odd positive comment means absolutely nothing.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto

Watch the Boston game where the final score was 1-0.

threeGo

Oct 18, 2011
Toronto
The change from last year to this year's Leafs is remarkable.

No longer are they soft, small, easily intimidated and pushed around, filled with self-entitled vets, and worst of all weak defensively. Leafs had become a laughing stock and mock regularly from all sides.

Now Leaf Nation can be proud again, as we are now big, physical, intimidating, hard hitting, shot blocking blue collar that backs down from no one, with attention to detail when it comes to defense.

They always were Canada's team only in the past Leaf fans were forced to wear brown paper bags on their their heads to cover their own identities in support.. Now the bags are off again and playoff hockey has returned.

You have this very awkward style in your writing. Do you do this on purpose?

CanadianLov3

Feb 21, 2013
G😍 Leafs
This is nothing new. We've always been Canada's team, why do you think so much people hate the leafs? The leafs have sucked for nearly a decade and no matter what they are always the center of attention in the league.. you can say its all marketing but thats because the amount of support and fans they have all around the world is ridiculous and that is why they are Canadas team.. we always support this team no matter what. Remember, its the passion that unites us all. :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good thing blocked shots, hits and fights correlate with goals, wins and success!

Something that coach Ron Wilson did not understand, however Carlyle fully appreciates in a winning hockey team.

Demers was not signing his praises last year, however he is embarrassing that "blue-collared" approach to Leafs success this year, with opened arms and eyes.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
and i thought this board was bad for flaming, that comments section is horrific, ive never seen so much racism, ignorance and stupidity out of people commenting on the internet. Especially the ones that think they know how the economy works, also its as if canucks fans forget they burnt their own city up in flames.

EDIT:
To the man in the above post, so "blue collar" meaning the team is hard working, gritty, blocks shots, etc. isnt a compliment? give your head a shake.

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

perhaps you weren't listening closely last night, the three amigos could barely contain their collective glee

Something that coach Ron Wilson did not understand, however Carlyle fully appreciates in a winning hockey team.

Demers was not signing his praises last year, however he is embarrassing that "blue-collared" approach to Leafs success this year, with opened arms and eyes.

jeebuz man Wilson is friggin gone ..let it go:shakehead

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
jeebuz man Wilson is friggin gone ..let it go:shakehead

Jacques Demers' comments are directed at the Leafs new style of play, and their redemption as Canada's team through hard work and effort, restoring tradition.

Who do you believe has the greatest impact of style of play and system?.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Jacques Demers' comments are directed at the Leafs new style of play, and their redemption as Canada's team through hard work and effort, restoring tradition.

Didn't that thread just get locked? Now you want to start it all up again here?

I do agree though, that Carlyle has been making a positive impact on the team, going back to last season when he first arrived and began making changes in the dressing room.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Didn't that thread just get locked? Now you want to start it all up again here?

I do agree though, that Carlyle has been making a positive impact on the team, going back to last season when he first arrived and began making changes in the dressing room.

Carlyle's system is described as "blue-collar" hard working, physical, hard hitting, shot blocking approach, and he demands that from his players.

Jacques Demers comments are related directly to the Leafs new style of play, and earning back respect to be called "Canada's Team"..

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

well if you really want to get technical here

Blue Collar = Punch Imlach

but he's long gone as is Ronnie....let it go..... leave the negativity in the past where it belongs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And you think the two are mutually exclusive?

In fact hard work most often is a direct route to success. The harder you work the more you have to gain from your efforts.

Demers is acknowledging the Leafs workmanlike "blue collar" approach to reuniting the passion in the organization and fan nation and returning the Leafs to prominence as Canada's team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad