News Article: Jacques Demers: Tough, ‘Blue Collar’ Maple Leafs have become Canada’s Team

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
_
This season the Toronto Maple Leafs led the NHL in hits, blocked shots and fights.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...-collar-maple-leafs-have-become-canadas-team/

leafs-p.jpg

The gospel according to coach Jacques about the 2012-13 Toronto Maple Leafs, tribal rivals to his beloved Canadiens and yet a team, he said, without pause, that, with the NHL playoffs poised to begin, was best positioned to become “Canada’s†team.

Oui. The Toronto Maple Leafs: Canada’s team.

Nice to see these kind words come out of good 'ol ex-habs coach Jacques Demers...

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
There had better not be a single unbruised body from either team after each and every playoff game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The change from last year to this year's Leafs is remarkable.

No longer are they soft, small, easily intimidated and pushed around, filled with self-entitled vets, and worst of all weak defensively. Leafs had become a laughing stock and mock regularly from all sides.

Now Leaf Nation can be proud again, as we are now big, physical, intimidating, hard hitting, shot blocking blue collar that backs down from no one, with attention to detail when it comes to defense.

They always were Canada's team only in the past Leaf fans were forced to wear brown paper bags on their their heads to cover their own identities in support.. Now the bags are off again and playoff hockey has returned.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Yup. Toronto is the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE! :yo: ;)

I know we got hab, sen, and canuck fans reading this thread right now. Hope they popped a vein reading that. Nothing better then agitating the rest of Canada. Bring on the hate.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
They always were Canada's team only in the past Leaf fans were forced to wear brown paper bags on their their heads to cover their own identities in support.. Now the bags are off again and playoff hockey has returned.

Leaf fans were not forced to do anything. Any Leaf fan who was embarrassed to admit it when the team was doing poorly is nothing more than a fairweather fan in my opinion.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I love the identity of this team.

Tough, structured, dynamic and a one for all and all for one attitude.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Leaf fans were not forced to do anything. Any Leaf fan who was embarrassed to admit it when the team was doing poorly is nothing more than a fairweather fan in my opinion.
I've never felt that argument to work. A fairweather fan would have dumped this team over the last decade when it couldn't get its act together. Long as at the end of the day you still consider yourself a fan that's good enough. There isn't some class system to being a fan.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Last year there were countless Leaf fans showing up at the ACC wearing bags on their heads with Leaf jersey's below.

This year you will not see that anymore, as Leaf Nation fans show up in support of their team which they're once again proud of, for the on ice product being presented and the hard work and effort.

Blue collar hockey has returned, with a new identity behind Orr, Fraser, McLaren, Komarov etc. making Canada's team one that no one pushes around anymore.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Should never feel embarrassed to be a fan of the franchise when times are bad. You can be angry at the people running the operation (Wilson, Burke, MLSE, individual players, whatever), but being a fan is all about love and there's no shame in that.

GoodNHLTroll*

You can't help but admire this team...even rivals have to applaud. They are the complete opposite of the Vancouver Canucks in every respect. :D

GoodNHLTroll*

A lot of Jets fans are pulling for the Leafs this post-season as well...not a lot, but still...quite impressive considering the Leafs are hated by every other fanbase with a passion.

EDDIE20*

Wow, this is a guy who coached the Habs to a Cup victory too. Cue the butthurt Hab fans who get outraged over his comments :laugh:

Got that right. Habs supporters will surely have their panties in a knot over this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad