Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Who is taking those last two years off our hands at an $8m cap hit? He's worth $2m at best.

Even at 50% retained, I doubt anyone is going for it.

I would bet almost every team in the league would take him at $4M. However, the point is moot because they aren't going to look to trade him.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On stats and shit.

When I began following the Rangers in the 70's......stats were pretty basic and that was more than alright for me. A player would have so many goals, points, penalty minutes. The team stats wins and losses and ties and that was okay too. None of this shit about a cap.

Today a lot depends on how far out in the weeds you want to go with it all and it helps to have an accounting/business law degree to decipher your way through all the cap horseshit......and it's great if you have those things and like using it but I don't want to be bothered all the time and FWIW I have no college and no degrees in anything and I'm okay with that too. I'd just rather watch the games but I also have other interests other than hockey and a need to get away from it sometimes so there's that as well.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
you'd be surprised

Detroit or Miami, imo, are the most obvious ones.

Lets just hope this time off gets him back to early season form.... so he's not a detriment in the playoffs

The Rangers not only can trade him but will absolutely get pieces of value in return for him, without retention imo. The NHL holds Trouba in a much higher regard than our fanbase or the analytics community. Detroit, Florida like you mentioned, but also could see teams like Tampa, Nashville, even the Canes getting involved to fill their leadership void. I assume Trouba will block the Canadian teams and bottom feeders, but that leaves a lot of suitors.

This all being said, the odds of him actually getting traded are pretty low. He also has only 2 years left and is a prime candidate for LTIR f***ery the next 2 seasons with the nagging injuries piling up. It's not like he is dragging the team down to the basement. Plus he is well liked by his teammates, which matters.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
If they decided to use LTIR he's the perfect candidate. Along with Lindgren really. They must have some sort of 2 month surgery and recovery we could send them on.

I am with Whit from SC. I absolutely hate them for it but like you can't blame them. Every team should be doing it until the NHL addresses the issue.

• Haha
Reactions: gabevh3

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The Rangers not only can trade him but will absolutely get pieces of value in return for him, without retention imo. The NHL holds Trouba in a much higher regard than our fanbase or the analytics community. Detroit, Florida like you mentioned, but also could see teams like Tampa, Nashville, even the Canes getting involved to fill their leadership void. I assume Trouba will block the Canadian teams and bottom feeders, but that leaves a lot of suitors.

This all being said, the odds of him actually getting traded are pretty low. He also has only 2 years left and is a prime candidate for LTIR f***ery the next 2 seasons with the nagging injuries piling up. It's not like he is dragging the team down to the basement. Plus he is well liked by his teammates, which matters.

This.
Ben Chariot as UFA returned a 1st from the panthers….

Gudbranson
Savard
I can go on…

Imo he would return more at TDL to a team going for it all, but even in the offseason they will get value.
Budget teams will also be happy his real $$ amount is lower then actual cap hit…
There’s a whole business side to that etc….
Also he’s 30 signed to 32 years old.
Not 34-35 on a 3-4 yr deal…

It’s basically how we got zibby from Ottawa. Not because gorton was an evil genius, but the sens wanted a center that could produce to what zibby was giving them and all ready had 95% of his contract paid off regardless of the cap it…
Not a lot of other teams/if any had that to offer as a return.

Hockey is a strange business sometimes, especially with small market teams/penny pinching ownership…
At least we’ve never had to suffer thru that as a fan base

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW and McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
This.
Ben Chariot as UFA returned a 1st from the panthers….

Gudbranson
Savard
I can go on…

Imo he would return more at TDL to a team going for it all, but even in the offseason they will get value.
Budget teams will also be happy his real $$ amount is lower then actual cap hit…
There’s a whole business side to that etc….
Also he’s 30 signed to 32 years old.
Not 34-35 on a 3-4 yr deal

I mentioned it in a PGT a few games ago but Carolina actually makes a ton of sense for him. They will be looking to fill a leadership void and have a ton of holes throughout their roster with guys going to free agency. Plus all our fans think Trouba is so bad, they'd all presumably be Ok with sending him to a rival no?

Reactions: jay from jersey

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I mentioned it in a PGT a few games ago but Carolina actually makes a ton of sense for him. They will be looking to fill a leadership void and have a ton of holes throughout their roster with guys going to free agency. Plus all our fans think Trouba is so bad, they'd all presumably be Ok with sending him to a rival no?
Until he’s catches laf/kakko with their heads down coming across the blue line.
Or god forbid chytil if he ever returns
They also love our former players and have large pool of good prospects/youngsters

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Until he’s catches laf/kakko with their heads down coming across the blue line.
Or god forbid chytil if he ever returns
They also love our former players and have large pool of good prospects/youngsters

Yeah im not a Trouba hater like some but Im open to a move if it makes sense to the team, and with Schneider's emergence we might be at that point in the summer. My hope is he comes back healthy from whatever was ailing him. He is a warrior as much as people want to dunk on him. You need those players, especially when they are the captain.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
If Eric tulsky trades for Trouba I will ingest both of the shoes I’m currently wearing

Reactions: zlev and tiggles

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yeah im not a Trouba hater like some but Im open to a move if it makes sense to the team, and with Schneider's emergence we might be at that point in the summer. My hope is he comes back healthy from whatever was ailing him. He is a warrior as much as people want to dunk on him. You need those players, especially when they are the captain.
Trouba even last year was a much better player defensively than he is this year. This feels like an injury that he’s not able to compensate properly, and it’s dragging miller down because he’s covering.

This rest might be good for him.

Reactions: McRanger92

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Me either…
But it’s always been on the menu/part of the plan to move him in the last year or 2 of his deal if need be. My guess is why it was structured that way with a little foresight. To give them a bit of an out near the end of it.
At 1 time we had nils( Another who brought back a 1st btw) and Schneider in the system….
So the plan to move Trouba early rather then have him finish his deal here was always on the table…
Schneider progression the rest of this season and playoffs is going to be the main deciding factor…
Having a replacement who’s younger/cheaper and should be ultimately better is key to moving him and using that $$ elsewhere.
We got some young guns in need of raises soon

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Trouba even last year was a much better player defensively than he is this year. This feels like an injury that he’s not able to compensate properly, and it’s dragging miller down because he’s covering.

This rest might be good for him.

My spidey senses tell me that hes been playing hurt all year. There was no apparent injury in the Florida game before the TDL week break they had. The team probably knew they could add a depth D on the cheap and could afford to rest him for a bit. He will be useful in the playoffs if used correctly. The hits add up in a playoff series and its very naive to act like its not a factor for teams. Case in point last night Gus lays a big hit on Svech and he immediately retaliates to put us on a powerplay. That team hasnt learned anything. We need guys who will take advantage of that.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
My spidey senses tell me that hes been playing hurt all year. There was no apparent injury in the Florida game before the TDL week break they had. The team probably knew they could add a depth D on the cheap and could afford to rest him for a bit. He will be useful in the playoffs if used correctly. The hits add up in a playoff series and its very naive to act like its not a factor for teams. Case in point last night Gus lays a big hit on Svech and he immediately retaliates to put us on a powerplay. That team hasnt learned anything. We need guys who will take advantage of that.
Yup that’s my thought as well.
I think we didn’t wanna rest him until after the deadline, and now lavi is resting him and we’ll see what he looks like in the playoffs.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I would bet almost every team in the league would take him at $4M. However, the point is moot because they aren't going to look to trade him.
Agree. People want him traded but I have a hard time imagining Drury wants him traded. It'd have to be 100% cap reasons and I think Goodrow is the more likely candidate for a buyout or trade for a 7th (or whatever). Unless Drury is clearing that cap to sign a particular UFA.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I'm sorry if I said this already, but Lindgren, Goodrow, Schneider, etc, have been so much better while without Trouba but it also could be the trade deadline passing and those guys were worried about being traded. I'm not so quick to blame it on Trouba as to why the team struggled in certain areas. Also, Roslovic and Wennberg have given this team a much-needed shot in the arm. At the same time I want Miller/Schneider to stay together. I'm all mixed up. LOL

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That’s only because Carolina has a fetish for defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad