Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
i'm sorry, i didn't realize people had such thin skin here. as if people aren't constantly arrogantly putting advanced stats down on this forum, either. it's never about not using or not understanding, it's that most people just don't want to understand them. they think it's nerd shit.
There's also a certain group of people who will jump into a discussion and just throw a chart up there with no additional context or commentary, like they think they're dropping the mic. For every person who doesn't want to understand the newer stats because it's nerd shit, there's a person who thinks those stats are the only things that matter and that people who don't "get it" are idiots. There are extremes on both sides of that discussion and both are f***ing insufferable. It's why I try to avoid these conversations.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
There's also a certain group of people who will jump into a discussion and just throw a chart up there with no additional context or commentary, like they think they're dropping the mic. For every person who doesn't want to understand the newer stats because it's nerd shit, there's a person who thinks those stats are the only things that matter and that people who don't "get it" are idiots. There are extremes on both sides of that discussion and both are f***ing insufferable. It's why I try to avoid these conversations.

and then there's the people who butt into arguments just to get on their high horse...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
and then there's the people who butt into arguments just to get on their high horse...
Well fortunately that doesn't apply here since it's a f***ing message board and everyone is welcome to participate in an argument, without fear of being accused of "butting in." :laugh: Or so you'd think.

Really though, I don't think it's a "high horse" position to hold that people arguing from extremes isn't something that makes for the best debate.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Well fortunately that doesn't apply here since it's a f***ing message board and everyone is welcome to participate in an argument, without fear of being accused of "butting in." :laugh: Or so you'd think.

Really though, I don't think it's a "high horse" position to hold that people arguing from extremes isn't something that makes for the best debate.

you're not participating in the argument though, you're just using it to explain how you're above both sides

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Also according to Natural Stat Trick, they have the fifth highest expected goals-against per 60 rate at 2.59 and their on-ice save percentage is .930.

It's not unheard of for guys to break the system and raise save percentage, but 9 times out of 10, it's just the goalie. Quick has been phenomenal.

Over the last three seasons, their on-ice save percentage is only .917.

Insert condescension here.

You can't have an honest conversation without the charts being given a substantial amount of weight. They don't have to be determinative, but they do mean something.

And the charts say Trouba has been not very good on defense.

Even if the charts are lying, they are lying only a bit.

He's not great. And that means he's definitely worth no where near his $8m.

And that means he's a negative presence on the roster.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
elephant in the room - trouba hasn’t been good in 2 years now and he’s having a downright poor season this year

lindgren is rightfully catching a lot of flack but jake has gone mostly under the radar. he has absolutely no ability to control gaps or hold a line anymore and every attacker has a free entry against him. was miserable watching it last night.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
elephant in the room - trouba hasn’t been good in 2 years now and he’s having a downright poor season this year

lindgren is rightfully catching a lot of flack but jake has gone mostly under the radar. he has absolutely no ability to control gaps or hold a line anymore and every attacker has a free entry against him. was miserable watching it last night.
Been screaming at Trouba's gap control for years. Was actually decent though last year but old habits are starting to return. There were occasions a couple years ago where he backed up right into the goalie's lap. His fundamentals are horrible. I guess when he's running around killing guys, nobody cares about his fundamentals being crap. Last night's 4th goal, he looked like he never played defense before.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
So what do we do about this guy? He’s a 7th Defenseman at best at this point and he clearly makes our team worse. When he’s out we have the best D in hockey.
Step 1. Go to 6th Street and Avenue D
Step 2. Explain the concept of "Kerrigan-ing" someone to one of the Dominican gang bangers in that hood.
Step 3. Show him a picture of Trouba.
Step 4. Pay the man.
Step 5. Profit.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
IMG_9716.jpeg

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I actually thought we missed Trouba a little when things got scrambly in the second period. Size and reach wouldve helped get the puck out a little easier. We also need this guy back at some point because Schneider and Fox are going to wear down playing these big minutes. I think the improved play overall is more to do with 4 complete lines than Trouba's absence.

Miller-Schneider NEEDS to remain a thing when Trouba is healthy though. Would be asinine to go back to the old pairs at that point. Trouba/Gus Im ok with. Jones will get back in there at some point. Im much more bullish on the overall D than I was a week ago. That's the effect of playing on offense more.

Reactions: Black Tank

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I actually thought we missed Trouba a little when things got scrambly in the second period. Size and reach wouldve helped get the puck out a little easier. We also need this guy back at some point because Schneider and Fox are going to wear down playing these big minutes. I think the improved play overall is more to do with 4 complete lines than Trouba's absence.

Miller-Schneider NEEDS to remain a thing when Trouba is healthy though. Would be asinine to go back to the old pairs at that point. Trouba/Gus Im ok with. Jones will get back in there at some point. Im much more bullish on the overall D than I was a week ago. That's the effect of playing on offense more.
counterpoint: the highly effective defensive shell we went into the last 15 minutes wouldn't have been possible with Trouba. Miller is significantly more aggressive at his own blueline with Schneider than he is with Trouba and Schneider is much more mobile overall. It allowed us to play a very smart, controlled defensive game. With Trouba it would've been free entry after free entry.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
counterpoint: the highly effective defensive shell we went into the last 15 minutes wouldn't have been possible with Trouba. Miller is significantly more aggressive at his own blueline with Schneider than he is with Trouba and Schneider is much more mobile overall. It allowed us to play a very smart, controlled defensive game. With Trouba it would've been free entry after free entry.

Trouba blocks shots and hits more than anyone on the team, that's helpful when you're playing defense late(just ask Lindgren who was great last night). We'll see how it goes when he gets back, hopefully he will be healed of anything that was ailing him. With his compromised skating, maybe he's been playing hurt. Sensing a pattern there the last couple seasons.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Hopefully we learn that Trouba has his place, but there may be a series or two where we have better options.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
You ask him for his 15 team no trade list this offseason and then trade him to one of the other teams for whatever you can get.
Who is taking those last two years off our hands at an $8m cap hit? He's worth $2m at best.

Even at 50% retained, I doubt anyone is going for it.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Who is taking those last two years off our hands at an $8m cap hit? He's worth $2m at best.

Even at 50% retained, I doubt anyone is going for it.
you'd be surprised

Detroit or Miami, imo, are the most obvious ones.

Lets just hope this time off gets him back to early season form.... so he's not a detriment in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad