Value of: Jacob Trouba

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Hypothetically, if Trouba still doesn’t want to sign with Winnipeg long term, what would the Jets be looking for in return.

Combo of player, Prospect & 1st?

Obviously depends on what player which prospect and where the 1st Round Pick is in draft order.

I would assume many would want a 1-1 swap type of deal, but I’m also under the assumption that Winnipeg will be up against the cap if they do sign Trouba long term ($6-$7M aav).

Also it does seem when bigger names have been dealt recently, it’s been for more of a package as opposed to a 1-1 swap.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
With the Jets starting to reach the cap crunch with Laine,Connor and Morrissey coming up they will probably look at futures for Trouba if he doesn't sign. A 1st,2nd and 2 good prospects would be ideal I think.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I think the ship has sailed on the Jets trying get a Trouba clone back in a trade. Trouba will be 25 after this season. While most say the Jets should try to get futures, I would entertain a trade that includes a Veteran that you can have some moderate control with in terms of term/contract(maybe a retained contract) and can play in the Top 2/3 right away. Along the lines of a Suban for Weber kind of deal (maybe a bad example but along those lines). The Jets are in a win now mode for about 3 years and their youth on D is still solid with Morrissey and the likes of Niku and Samberg in the pipeline.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
With the Jets starting to reach the cap crunch with Laine,Connor and Morrissey coming up they will probably look at futures for Trouba if he doesn't sign. A 1st,2nd and 2 good prospects would be ideal I think.

Agreed, love to get that. Of the two prospects ideally we get at least one pretty good RHD prospect that's close to NHL ready

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Buff is 33. Myers is UFA after this season. Kulikov is not worth his contract (IMO).
If I was a Jets fan, I would really want to try and open cap room in a different way than dealing Trouba, or your D could get ugly in a hurry for a team with a forward core to contend long term.

Perreault, Kulikov being first in line. That's a pretty terrible combined 8,5 million hit.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
With some heavy additions, could be worth thinking about.

There was a report coming out of the last draft weekend, that Lou backed out of E Karlsson trade talks when EK refused to sign a nyi extension.

Gonna guess the isles would not be high on Trouba's trade list and Lou would be no more inclined to use high end trade chips to rent Trouba,then he was to rent EK.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Buff is 33. Myers is UFA after this season. Kulikov is not worth his contract (IMO).
If I was a Jets fan, I would really want to try and open cap room in a different way than dealing Trouba, or your D could get ugly in a hurry for a team with a forward core to contend long term.

Perreault, Kulikov being first in line. That's a pretty terrible combined 8,5 million hit.

It'd be great to keep Trouba but some of these proposals are likely on the condition that he in fact doesn't want to re-sign here (or wants too much).
A Trouba-Morrissey pairing for years would be awesome though.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
There was a report coming out of the last draft weekend, that Lou backed out of E Karlsson trade talks when EK refused to sign a nyi extension.

Gonna guess the isles would not be high on Trouba's trade list and Lou would be no more inclined to use high end trade chips to rent Trouba,then he was to rent EK.
In addition to heavy additions being ridiculous. Leddy has 4 years on a team friendly deal. Trouba is a contract headache who is looking for a monster free agent deal in 2 years and has the toughest agent in all of sports in Kurt Overhardt.

I wouldn't even consider Leddy for Trouba straight up given those factors. Anyone acquiring Trouba has to assume he will likely not re-sign. Why add a headache like that if you're not expecting to win a Stanley Cup in that timeframe? To me that knocks out half the teams in the NHL.

Troy

Nov 28, 2017

I agree with this, I also wasnt a fan of Littles contract. I like Little, but not at the length and term he was given

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Wondering if it's worth revisiting that Kadri-Trouba conversation, obviously with due diligence in seeing if Trouba would be fine in Toronto/Canada.

Kadri is a good player, but:

- Jets won't trade Trouba this season barring an offer they simply can't refuse.....Kadri isn't that.

- Trouba will be traded this summer my guess, largely a futures package bc of cap reasons.

- Lowry has been our best player this year, albeit a small sample size. Little had a slow start but has been playing significantly better the last few games......been the best player on our 2nd line.

- Kadri doesn't bring the right skill set IMO to play between Laine/Ehlers.

I just don't see a good fit with Kadri on our team either now or this summer..........and that's not a shot at Kadri....he just doesn't fit well here.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
In addition to heavy additions being ridiculous. Leddy has 4 years on a team friendly deal. Trouba is a contract headache who is looking for a monster free agent deal in 2 years and has the toughest agent in all of sports in Kurt Overhardt.

I wouldn't even consider Leddy for Trouba straight up given those factors. Anyone acquiring Trouba has to assume he will likely not re-sign. Why add a headache like that if you're not expecting to win a Stanley Cup in that timeframe? To me that knocks out half the teams in the NHL.

Lou, after getting permission to try to reach an extension agreement, walked away from a potential EK trade because EK would not agree to an extension.
EK would have been a much more dynamic addition then Trouba.

Trouba looks FL bound with his fiancee in school there and his having a home there.

I agree 72.I would not move Leddy alone to rent Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad