Confirmed with Link: Jacob Trouba arbitration award (1 year, 5.5 AAV)

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
It's difficult to see him getting traded because it's difficult to see anything coming back that improve Jets' Cup chances. And surely that has to be the absolute number #1 priority next season.

But after that, next summer, he's surely gone. It seems like he doesn't want to sign long term at reasonable money, and next year one year deal isn't an option anymore really (because he would then leave as UFA).

So one more season of Trouba, maybe win it all, and if nothing changes regarding his willingness to sign long term, he's going to be traded next summer.

Reactions: TS Quint

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I dont have an issue with a player wanting what they feel they are worth.

I do have some issues with him overhauling himself (If that is what it is truly about) the fact remains that he has been outperformed on the PP by Buff so Buff keeps the spot. Toby stole his PP ice two seasons ago due outperforming Trouba. Myers did the same this past season. Perhaps it's time he recognized that he doesn't excel there and that is why he isn't used in that role.

All in all I think it's time to move on from him. I think he'd rather be elsewhere.

Reactions: GNP and Eyeseeing

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The window is now.

Likely for 1 year with Trouba on the roster, the last thing Chevy should do is to see Trouba level player walk for free in 2 years time, that's now how you win now.

Being 1 year away from UFA is going to hurt his value even on trades, no one will trade for him, or pay close to his value unless they know he will re-sign with them.
That RD side really needed a guy to build around, Myers isn't that and won't be that.

Reactions: ps241

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Doesn't matter. At the end of the day the fans have to be able to enjoy and and be able to cheer for their players without feeling any type of way about it. And I think that is no longer possible for a sizable number of fans with Trouba (including me).

This is a bit much. I get there’s frustration, but if this upsets you this much I wonder how you get through the real world. This is unfortunate yes, but not something that is going to sink us or anything.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That's 5.5 million for 1 RFA year. What would that command for a long-term contract? I assure you it would have been more than six million.
I know, right?

I was beating that drum for a good couple of weeks and got told I'm wrong in multiple occasions.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Been spending as little time here as I can.

Chevy still controls the market. He can trade him to one of the 30 other teams. The only thing is how much is Overhardt willing to play along with making this a mutually beneficial arrangement for both the client and the team? He effectively has a no trade clause with all 30 teams by stating whether his intent would be to re-sign with the team or not. There should be 30 GMs beating down his door right now. His first priority should be getting a long-term viable replacement for Trouba, because the Jets currently have nobody in their system around that age that's even close to carrying what Trouba does.

BUT PLEASE, TELL US MORE ABOUT PLAYING MYERS ON HIS OFF-HAND THIS SEASON, MAURICE YOU DOTARD.

Fair enough - but I don't want to go through the whole thing again. P.K. was an unusual case. If the cap makes bridge deals necessary, then you do bridge deals.
vs
P.K. proves that bridge deals are a disaster. Always lock up your best players as long as possible. To hell with the cap.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Probably keep him for a cup run then hopefully trade him next offseason to set us up for the future.

If he lets Trouba walk to UFA I'll be outside Chevy's house with a pitchfork

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Because he doesn't fawn over how great the Jets organization and the city of Winnipeg is, that's why.

Or maybe its cuz he refuses to negotiate at all?

Im cool with cheering for a guy who wants to be paid.. Thats fine but no negotiations last time.. None this time likely.. He dont wanna be here so why should anyone want him here?

Reactions: upperdeckjet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Still another year of RFA rights. I don't get the Trouba hate here. Blaming a guy who is using the tools within the CBA to control his career as much as he can. How personally invested do you have to be to want to boo the guy when he plays? Or that you'd rather trade him than win a cup with him?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trade him and trade him before the season starts. I will be pissed if I have to watch him in a Jets jersey this fall.

That is certainly how I feel now. I always have to suspend the negative feelings about reality in the case of a player known to be here only for a quick opportunity, like any rental.

With a player who has made it plain that he wants out ASAP, it will be more difficult. Don't know how I will feel by opening day but I think it will be mixed feelings at best.

Right this minute? I hope he is gone before sunset. :laugh:

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
This just in: Player asks for more than he's worth in order to force a trade then goes through arbitration to show he just wants to hit UFA. Next up.. how to read the writing on the wall.
That's fine. Just because Trouba is drafted here doesn't mean he has to stay his entire career here. Too many fans get attached to this idea and it's a rude awakening every time it happens. It's his right should he choose to go down this path - not sure why we need to demonize him.

If everything says that Trouba doesn't want to stay here once he hits UFA, then you among everyone else should be focusing on what the Chevy and the Jets do, not whether or not Trouba is a terrible human being. If the writing truly is on the wall, and the Jets try again and again to keep him long-term or have to trade him for less than he's worth, than that is poor asset management from a business standpoint.

Ideally, I'd rather keep Trouba for at least two more swings at the Stanley Cup versus trading him now because I'm not sure you can get a comparable Trouba, let alone a Trouba-lite (and Myers is certainly not that) when the majority of the team are hitting their primes.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is pretty much what he is worth in value right around what Parayko or Seth Jones is making. Won't take a long term deal though

And therefore he should be making less than them. Only 1 year and that 1 an RFA year. Not to mention that they are probably better players than he is.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Or maybe its cuz he refuses to negotiate at all?

Im cool with cheering for a guy who wants to be paid.. Thats fine but no negotiations last time.. None this time likely.. He dont wanna be here so why should anyone want him here?

Doesn't want to take a hometown discount isn't the same as doesn't want to be here.

Seems the decision not to negotiate is mutual. $4M per?

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
How about we just win the cup this year and there would be no way Trouba wouldn't want to resign here! after hoisting the cup!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Because he doesn't fawn over how great the Jets organization and the city of Winnipeg is, that's why.

Or because as fans of a team, we want to see players who actually want to be there and haven't done everything possible at every step in the process to get the fastest exist out of the club?

Reactions: upperdeckjet

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Jets getting absolutely torn to shreds on main board. "Cheap organization with zero ambition" regarding this whole Trouba situation. Trouba comes out like roses and making the org look really bad.

That's probably what bothers me the most. We're neither of those things. Good players get paid here.

Reactions: Jets 31

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's fine. Just because Trouba is drafted here doesn't mean he has to stay his entire career here. Too many fans get attached to this idea and it's a rude awakening every time it happens. It's his right should he choose to go down this path - not sure why we need to demonize him.

If everything says that Trouba doesn't want to stay here once he hits UFA, then you among everyone else should be focusing on what the Chevy and the Jets do, not whether or not Trouba is a terrible human being. If the writing truly is on the wall, and the Jets try again and again to keep him long-term or have to trade him for less than he's worth, than that is poor asset management from a business standpoint.

Ideally, I'd rather keep Trouba for at least two more swings at the Stanley Cup versus trading him now because I'm not sure you can get a comparable Trouba, let alone a Trouba-lite (and Myers is certainly not that) when the majority of the team are hitting their primes.

Just as it's his right to decide where to go it's the fans right to hate or love him all they want. He's snubbing his nose at their team and city. He deserves it.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Fawning is not required. Less drama every off-season would be helpful. Players come and go all the time; few fans expect longterm loyalty. But contract brinksmanship year in and year out does not endear a player to a fanbase. No reason to picket the games but no reason he should be a fan sweetheart. Time to recoup assets and send him on his way.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Doesn't want to take a hometown discount isn't the same as doesn't want to be here.

Seems the decision not to negotiate is mutual. $4M per?

$4 million per was the Jets number for a 1 year arbitration award. They obviously would have offered more for a long term deal. What makes you think that the Jets side wasn't willing to negotiate and pay market value? I am hardly a TNSE apologist but which other young RFA have they negotiated with in bad faith? We have been through 7 years of existence of this organisation and we have a decently large sample size to safely say that they don't try f*** over the RFAs, starting from the Ladds, Littles, Wheelers, Kanes of the world to Helle and Lowry recently. Unless other evidence is presented this is all on Trouba's camp.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Who are you people? Trouba has and always will be a Jet. Glad mngt did what was necessary to keep him. May he be the key to the team Winnipeg the cup. BTW, why is Subban mentioned here?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Or because as fans of a team, we want to see players who actually want to be there and haven't done everything possible at every step in the process to get the fastest exist out of the club?

Seems to be just as much a case of an organization that has consistently undervalued him.

That holds more weight with me than someone's third cousin hearing him say that Winnipeg is boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad