Proposal: Jacob Trouba 30% retained to Detroit in the offseason

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Purely for a Wings perspective (Rangers fan could be a complete no). I could actually see something like the below, especially if we can find a taker for Holl this year.

Detroit: Jacob Trouba (30% retained)
NYR: 2025 2nd round pick + Albert Johansson (could slide into that 3rd pair spot for NY next year).

*Aljo will no longer be waiver exempt next year. He is routinely praised by teammates and coaches as the best dman in GR but doesn't have the upside of Ed. He is a LD but I think is used to playing both sides if I remember. I'd describe him a two-way dman.

Seider-Walman
Trouba-Ed
Chiarot- Maata
Petry

Trouba at 5.6 mil and getting rid of Holl only net increases us 2.2 mil. End of his contract would line up with Ed being an RFA. Space would open up for ASP and Wally in the following seasons with Maata and Petry leaving.

Trouba is from Michigan so I would be surprised if he was against coming home if the NYR were set on trading him to clear cap space.
it would be a travesty to get rid of aljo right now.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Your first sentence
I said I assume this would be an offseason deal because the Rangers aren't trading Trouba, a top 4 dman and their captain, at the trade deadline when they are looking to go on a long playoff run. I'm not sure what's confusing about that.

Was it the acronym "OP" that you didn't understand? It stands for Original Poster, the person who created the thread. The OP didn't post that this would be an offseason deal, but that's the only type of deal that makes any sense.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
At this point I would trade him for a 7th, straight up. He will not be a Ranger next season, if Drury has any balls.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
So it’s ok for your guys to bash the Islanders and their players in threads related to the Islanders but the second someone does the reverse, you want to be defensive about it? Ok then. Retention is the only way a deal for Trouba gets made unless you’re willing to take back a cap dump of $3m+ with term to move him so essentially no one’s touching him at $8m like I originally said. He’s being protected simply based on where he plays. Any non major market team and Parros actually does something about his high hits.
His actual salary is 5.6mill
Budget teams love that….
He’s 30 not 34-35 and only 2 years remaining after this season.
NYR will have no problem moving him for pick/prospects. And maybe a small cap dump….,
It’s pretty similar to how the rangers got zibby for brassard.
Brass had a majority of his salary already payed and they didn’t want to give zibby 5 yrs 5 mill or more..
Overpaid or not, Trouba is still a physical force and a top four D on a lot of teams in the league.

only way NYR thinks about moving him is if they believe Schneider can step into his role for the fraction of $$/cap hit and play as good or better….
NYR will def need that 8 mill cap, Kakko, miller, Laf etc all due raises in the next 2 seasons.
Furthermore, Trouba always leads with his shoulder and tucks his arm him… it’s one of the things he does that’s textbook every time… he hits like a truck, which is why he’s not been suspended a ton…… plus he winds up having to fight every time he delivers a huge check, he skates away, always answers the bell.
With WPG him and Morrissey were outstanding together before Trouba was dealt….
I know you’re an isles fan, but watch the player, don’t make up nonsense….
As far as this season goes, at the start first 20 he was fine, then prob the worst in his NYR career… I have no idea if a nagging injury/etc. but he’s not been himself for a long stretch now

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why does Detroit trade Rasmussen after just resigning him?
fair ?
It's not a given they do but impact RD w/issues but still impact clear the crease local guy w/lots of +s, getting him for a high end 4C but again a 4th liner, is easy to see given supply + demand

Easier to get quality 4C than righty shot RD even a 3RD

Then also there is the matter of cap balance
6-ish m has to go to NY
Ras + get cover most of that

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
fair ?
It's not a given they do but impact RD w/issues but still impact clear the crease local guy w/lots of +s, getting him for a high end 4C but again a 4th liner, is easy to see given supply + demand

Easier to get quality 4C than righty shot RD even a 3RD

Then also there is the matter of cap balance
6-ish m has to go to NY
Ras + get cover most of that
Rasmussen has 28 points in 66 games this season. Thats better than a 4C. Its 9 points better than your 1C Boo Nieves had in his entire career. Literally no chance the Wings do this.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rasmussen has 28 points in 66 games this season. Thats better than a 4C. Its 9 points better than your 1C Boo Nieves had in his entire career. Literally no chance the Wings do this.
he's a high end 4C, but he's a 4C in DET now, w/Larkin + Copp no ? ahead of him, and 3C open

As to yr Boo Nieves dig, I will continue to counter, as hindsight has proven correct, that Rs mgmt erred by not listening to bern and at least trying Boo at pivot betw Kreid + Zib
His entire career was cut short by 4 concussions we know of, and he was never given a chance to get opportunity to play w/meaningful Ws, instead w/4th line black holes on offense.

Wings may wanna keep Ras and offer alternate comp like pick(s) + cap dump, but based on need, this is a deal DET does

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
he's a high end 4C, but he's a 4C in DET now, w/Larkin + Copp no ? ahead of him, and 3C open

As to yr Boo Nieves dig, I will continue to counter, as hindsight has proven correct, that Rs mgmt erred by not listening to bern and at least trying Boo at pivot betw Kreid + Zib
His entire career was cut short by 4 concussions we know of, and he was never given a chance to get opportunity to play w/meaningful Ws, instead w/4th line black holes on offense.

Wings may wanna keep Ras and offer alternate comp like pick(s) + cap dump, but based on need, this is a deal DET does

Rasmussen is a 4C? Since when? You realise he plays as a winger in Detroit, right? At least watch the games if you're going to hyper focus on a player...

It's not a deal Detroit does. We just resigned him, he's finally found his game and settled on to the roster as a mid-6 winger. Give up your fever dreams about Ras coming to Rangers...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rasmussen is a 4C? Since when? You realise he plays as a winger in Detroit, right? At least watch the games if you're going to hyper focus on a player...

It's not a deal Detroit does. We just resigned him, he's finally found his game and settled on to the roster as a mid-6 winger. Give up your fever dreams about Ras coming to Rangers...
Interest in Ras now limited as to useful trade chip re Trouba; no other need to acquire given emergence of Rempe, Edstrom + acquisitions of Wennberg, Roslovic impacting roster

Appreciate the player update. I do not watch all DET games and am going on few games I saw.
Was aware of some playing at W, but viewed that as multiple options after Larkin and Copp challenging him for 3C + even 4C, and being productive, they wanted to try to get him somewhere in the lineup, hence at W. That is why I viewed him as 4C, it being established he was originally designated a pivot, and C is the more valuable position

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Interest in Ras now limited as to useful trade chip re Trouba; no other need to acquire given emergence of Rempe, Edstrom + acquisitions of Wennberg, Roslovic impacting roster

Appreciate the player update. I do not watch all DET games and am going on few games I saw.
Was aware of some playing at W, but viewed that as multiple options after Larkin and Copp challenging him for 3C + even 4C, and being productive, they wanted to try to get him somewhere in the lineup, hence at W. That is why I viewed him as 4C, it being established he was originally designated a pivot, and C is the more valuable position
He'd be a waste at 4C. Much better player that should get more ice time than that.

Reactions: Hobnobs

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Copp (5.625 x3)
+

for

Trouba (8.000 x 2)

What’s the plus?

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'd do this trade if we could find a way to get rid of another defenseman in a seperate trade (not to rags obviously).
The Rangers don't have a 2nd round pick until 2027. We traded our 2024 2nd round pick in the Wennberg deal.
Copp (5.625 x3)
+

for

Trouba (8.000 x 2)

What’s the plus?
We don't want Copp. If we did, we would have re-signed him instead of signing Trocheck.

I don't think Drury has any intention of trading Trouba this year. Assuming the cap goes up as expected, we've got 12 mil in cap space, and can make use of roughly 4.4 mil in LTIR space if Chytil doesn't come back. From a cap space perspective, we likely won't need to move him. If anyone is moved to make space, it's probably Goodrow. And considering that Trouba was named captain just last year, I don't think they'll be in a hurry to move him, despite the fact that we traded away our last two captains (McDonagh and Callahan).

If Drury does decide to move him, I think Holl would be the player coming back. Maybe Chiarot if they are okay with having a lefty playing full time on the right side, or if they plan to use him on the left side.

There are some questions to be answered on the Rangers defense this summer, regardless of what happens with Trouba.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Copp (5.625 x3)
+

for

Trouba (8.000 x 2)

What’s the plus?
A 3rd team taking Copp while we get something else. Quite possible the reason Copp didn't have a future here after being a rental is because the organization didn't view him as a center in the top 6, so he'd just be blocking a winger.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I wish Trouba would waive to Anaheim. He would be a perfect 2 year stop gap for the Ducks.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The Rangers don't have a 2nd round pick until 2027. We traded our 2024 2nd round pick in the Wennberg deal.

I'm not sure I follow?

Only way I do that if I'm detroit is if NYR take back Holl or Chiarot

Rags won't take those two but Wings might be able to off-load them to a rebuilding team depending on their no-trade lists obv.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad