Proposal: Jacob Trouba 30% retained to Detroit in the offseason

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Says the fan of the oldest team in the league with a bunch of long-term contracts and playoff chances shrinking by the day.
I’m not worried about this year honestly. It’s a lost cause at this point but Trouba at $8m with a NMC idk yet an ugly one to stomach for 2 more seasons for any team. It’s alongside that Seth Jones mess.

• Haha
Reactions: tlk

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why would Trouba waive?
The OP didn't mention it, but I assume this would be an off-season deal. There's no chance we are trading him at the deadline (and little chance we are trading him in the summer, to be honest).

On July 1st, Trouba's NMC becomes a 15-team NTC. The 7 Canadian teams, Arizona, Anaheim, San Jose. Probably Columbus. Maybe Buffalo and Chicago. There's a good chance Detroit wouldn't be on his list.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I’m not worried about this year honestly. It’s a lost cause at this point but Trouba at $8m with a NMC idk yet an ugly one to stomach for 2 more seasons for any team. It’s alongside that Seth Jones mess.
Trouba's NMC changes to a 15-team NTC on July 1st. He can be traded, especially if the Rangers retain. Seth Jones has 6 years left at 9.5 mil. They aren't remotely comparable.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Trouba's NMC changes to a 15-team NTC on July 1st. He can be traded, especially if the Rangers retain. Seth Jones has 6 years left at 9.5 mil. They aren't remotely comparable.
You honestly think even with that 15 team NMC, someone’s taking an 8m middle pairing defenseman without taking atleast a $6m cap dump in return? Not a chance. For the original offer, Detroit isn’t touching this with a 10ft pole without you guys adding in something substantial. You might have a shot with a team like Arizona though.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I've been wanting trouba since winnipeg. Only takes a second and we get retention? Sign me up.

Idc that he hits high or is kind of sketch on some of those hits. His toughness and brutality is exactly what our team's identity is missing. We have scoring from all phases, we have skill, we have team chemistry; we don't have physical toughness. It sucks that he is a RHD so that means he is probably playing on our second line behind seider but I'll take it.

I'd even explore trading trouba with smaller retention than offered here for a 2nd and holl/maatta/ghost.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Purely for a Wings perspective (Rangers fan could be a complete no). I could actually see something like the below, especially if we can find a taker for Holl this year.

Detroit: Jacob Trouba (30% retained)
NYR: 2025 2nd round pick + Albert Johansson (could slide into that 3rd pair spot for NY next year).

*Aljo will no longer be waiver exempt next year. He is routinely praised by teammates and coaches as the best dman in GR but doesn't have the upside of Ed. He is a LD but I think is used to playing both sides if I remember. I'd describe him a two-way dman.

Seider-Walman
Trouba-Ed
Chiarot- Maata
Petry

Trouba at 5.6 mil and getting rid of Holl only net increases us 2.2 mil. End of his contract would line up with Ed being an RFA. Space would open up for ASP and Wally in the following seasons with Maata and Petry leaving.

Trouba is from Michigan so I would be surprised if he was against coming home if the NYR were set on trading him to clear cap space.

Reactions: bernmeister

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You honestly think even with that 15 team NMC, someone’s taking an 8m middle pairing defenseman without taking atleast a $6m cap dump in return? Not a chance. For the original offer, Detroit isn’t touching this with a 10ft pole without you guys adding in something substantial. You might have a shot with a team like Arizona though.
It's funny because there are several Detroit fans in this thread saying they would do the proposed deal. Maybe Yzerman wouldn't do it. I don't know. But if the Rangers retain, the chances of him or another GM taking him goes up considerably.

It's all moot because it's very unlikely to happen and is getting away from my original point that people living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It's funny because there are several Detroit fans in this thread saying they would do the proposed deal. Maybe Yzerman wouldn't do it. I don't know. But if the Rangers retain, the chances of him or another GM taking him goes up considerably.

It's all moot because it's very unlikely to happen and is getting away from my original point that people living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.
So it’s ok for your guys to bash the Islanders and their players in threads related to the Islanders but the second someone does the reverse, you want to be defensive about it? Ok then. Retention is the only way a deal for Trouba gets made unless you’re willing to take back a cap dump of $3m+ with term to move him so essentially no one’s touching him at $8m like I originally said. He’s being protected simply based on where he plays. Any non major market team and Parros actually does something about his high hits.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So it’s ok for your guys to bash the Islanders and their players in threads related to the Islanders but the second someone does the reverse, you want to be defensive about it? Ok then. Retention is the only way a deal for Trouba gets made unless you’re willing to take back a cap dump of $3m+ with term to move him so essentially no one’s touching him at $8m like I originally said. He’s being protected simply based on where he plays. Any non major market team and Parros actually does something about his high hits.
Don't conflate what other Rangers fans do with what I do.

This thread is suggesting that the Rangers retain 30%, so I don't even know what you are arguing at this point. I'm not here to convince you that Trouba has value. You made a hypocritical post, and I called you on it. The end. If you don't want people to clap back at you, then practice what you preach and don't take shots at other teams.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Have some self respect and at least use point percentage

I assume you were joking, but just in case, if you insist...

1000002682.jpg

Oh no, they are .003 points percentage out of 1st in the entire league. Obviously they suck.

Edit: misplaced decimal, it's actually 0.003.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
What about my statement confused you?
Your first sentence

I assume you were joking, but just in case, if you insist...

View attachment 827064

Oh no, they are 0.03 points percentage out of 1st in the entire league. Obviously they suck.
Just a pet peeve when people post point totals during the season when there is a more accurate measure of a teams success right next to it.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Your first sentence

Just a pet peeve when people post point totals during the season when there is a more accurate measure of a teams success right next to it.

The most accurate measure is wins, per the NHL tiebreakers. Assuming teams continue at the same points percentage in games not yet played leads to assuming Edmonton was a lock for the 1st overall pick this season, and LA was one of the leagues top contenders.

Sure, it is one measure, but far from the only one, especially when we are talking about 1-2 games difference after 58. I don't disagree with you on principle, but that's how the NHL approaches these things as evidenced by their chosen method of displaying their standings on their own website.

Reactions: Kupo

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

I guess you missed the 30% retained part. Trouba @ 5.6 for a couple years clearly has value.

He's certainly a better player than given credit for, can change a game with a big hit often, teammates love him etc.

Too much work. ;) Good point nonetheless.

Regardless, Captains are rarely if ever traded.

Rangers did it twice in the past 10 years. Ryan Callahan was traded at the deadline in a season NYR would go on to the Stanley Cup.

Ryan McDonagh was traded at the deadline, but the Rangers were out of it and about to retool that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad