Proposal: Jacob Trouba 30% retained to Detroit in the offseason

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
With only two years left at 5.6, in actual dollars just over 8 million. Yzerman would have to get rid of some of the contracts already on the backend, but I don't hate this. I suspect most of our fanbase will, but I think Trouba would fit in pretty well with the room, he can fill a need on the right side and help break-in Edvinsson.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers aren't going to trade their captain for a f***ing 2nd rounder. That's absolute fantasy land.

Also the guy with this idea should keep in mind that the Rangers don't have any prospect D who could conceivably within the next few years become a top 4 NHL quality defenseman. We're that thin on defensemen. Trading Trouba pretty much means trading other players to get another top 4 defenseman and probably lesser player which will cost other assets and picks or signing a UFA for term and $'s. You might not like Trouba and/or his contract but we got Schneider to replace him with and nothing worthwhile to replace Schneider then on the bottom pair.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Damn, Trouba fell off hard. 😳 I'd be willing to take the chance and give up a first at that retention for him. Cant see the rags giving him up so cheap.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers aren't going to trade their captain for a f***ing 2nd rounder. That's absolute fantasy land.

Also the guy with this idea should keep in mind that the Rangers don't have any prospect D who could conceivably within the next few years become a top 4 NHL quality defenseman. We're that thin on defensemen. Trading Trouba pretty much means trading other players to get another top 4 defenseman and probably lesser player which will cost other assets and picks or signing a UFA for term and $'s. You might not like Trouba and/or his contract but we got Schneider to replace him with and nothing worthwhile to replace Schneider then on the bottom pair.
We need the cap relief more than we need him.
You are 111% correct we need a 3RD to replace.
That fact does not nec override the concern as to cap relief.
Also, keeping him prevents having room to cap fit/roster utilize a replacement.

Also further, after stupidity of splurging for win now rentals that are epic fails, we can use that 2nd, whether it is to acquire and develop an asset, or to help obtain a young RD

If we are smart and listen to bern, and can accept growing pains, we can do something like

BMB [McConnell-Barker] for ANA's Helleson
that is comparable prospects, BMB w/longer team control, I believe
BMB is a pivot who can help Ducks when re-evaluating as Strome contract winds down

also
Barron from MON is a discussion

Done lol trouba is a tank and a good leader not sure NYR does this
pls note above
It would be tempting, upon acquiring 3RD
to keep Trouba + play him at 4RW w/Edstrom + Rempe
but we need to repurpose his salary

No, the Rangers just suck.
WOW
this is telling

speaks as to how you are not objective about NYR

• Love
Reactions: tlk

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Trouba is horrible. They should take the 2nd and run to offload a cap dump.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
No, the Rangers just suck.
Galaxy Brain take right there!

1709217281325.gif

IMG_6860.png

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Absolutely, and it’d also basically send the message that it isn’t working and needs a total shakeup. Which.. Trouba is what he is and the team is fire, Panarin and Zib are just kinda mercurial in playoffs. But either way, you don’t gain shit from losing a key defenseman for.. future parts. They’re in win now mode, this trade does less than nothing for them.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
With that much retention I think you could scratch out a 1st for Trouba. With his reputation, I think some team would pay that for him. I’d prefer not to retain but I’d take back Holl, gives the Rangers more flexibility than having the retained money on the books.

Reactions: gump116

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad